Elephant Wallets In Chiang Mai?

OldChinaHam

In the year 1999, while departing Bangkok from the old airport terminal, I noticed some small vendor near a departure gate who happened to be flogging wallets made of elephant skin for 25Baht. Knowing that the Thai elephant was not endangered by poaching so much as destruction of habitat, I bought two as gifts for two youngsters, offspring of two Taiwanese friends.

The Elephant wallets were simple in design yet understated in jungle elegance. The only visible decoration, a circular embossed emblem stating "Elephant Genuine Leather".

Now I have been charged with buying two more identical wallets sporting the same design. Yet when I passed through the BKK airport this last trip I saw only ugly, weirdly colored, garishly sequined notecases.

Would anyone please provide accurate information regarding where these original tasteful wallets can be found and purchased? If not in Chiang Mai, then where in Thailand?

I know the factory is probably still operating because I have seen pictures of these original wallets on the internet from time to time.

Thank you.

If it said "genuine" it must have been true, especially if they were the full 25 baht.

Indeed they were.

Or, if they were not, I do not care in the least --- I am only trying to duplicate what I bought 14 years ago in BKK.

If these were not elephant, then what might they have been? Water buffalo? That would be fine as well.

Sorry I do not have a photo to post here, but I will look for one.

Tks!

I've been using those 100 baht elephant leather wallets for years. Buy 5 at a time and replace every 6 months or so. I agree that the design is simple and functional.

Unfortunately, for whatever reason, they have disappeared from the market stalls in Bangkok in the last year or so.

Perhaps they are still available in Chiang Mai.

• Like 1

I've been using those 100 baht elephant leather wallets for years. Buy 5 at a time and replace every 6 months or so. I agree that the design is simple and functional.

Unfortunately, for whatever reason, they have disappeared from the market stalls in Bangkok in the last year or so.

Actually, about 5 years ago I saw them advertised on the net, but have not seen them since.

I would tend to agree with another poster here that they are not actually elephant leather, because, I mean, how would you tan it to be suitable for a wallet?

Still, the actual source of the leather does not matter if it is probably a buffalo or horse, I just need the identical design.

Tks.

If they were elephant skin they wouldn't be a single elephant left in Thailand. Mega thousands must have been sold over the years.More likely water buffalo or cow.To want something made out of a protected species makes me feel a little ill.

• Like 2

Here is a reasonable facsimile of the beast:

wallet-made-with-genuine-elephant-skin15

I have no idea what is the actual material. But I would like to know the factory address and contact info.

For those of you who like to buy one wallet per decade, this is a good choice.

Of course you won't want to use this while wining and dining business clients.

This is for shuving in your tight jeans while riding

Horses or dirt bikes.

Maybe there is a street vendor in Chiang Mai we can contact while looking for the actual factory?

Thank you.

Your elephant leather wallet wears out in six months? No wonder elephants are endangered, they're such delicate animals!

If they were elephant skin they wouldn't be a single elephant left in Thailand. Mega thousands must have been sold over the years.More likely water buffalo or cow.To want something made out of a protected species makes me feel a little ill.

We all gotta go sometime.

But most of us feel as you, no one wants to use products exploited from the destruction of our natural environment.

If elephant skins made from beasts which died of old age were sold to fund protection for elephants and to promote their humane treatment, then I would be all for it.

Probably the best use of such funds would be to launch an effective education campaign directed at Thai youth.

Education is the key force for change in every country.

Why wait to buy a wallet, I suppose.

Why not not buy the wallet and just donate the money?

Because I need to buy 2 wallets of this classic design,

Made of some animal.

Edited by OldChinaHam

I have no idea what is the actual material. But I would like to know the factory address and contact info.

Horses or dirt bikes.

Maybe there is a street vendor in Chiang Mai we can contact while looking for the actual factory?

Thank you.

I have one identical to this pic sitting in front of me on the table - only its a nice brown instead of an old faded white.

My mate said he got one and that he proudly bargained down to 300b, and I thought leather is probably pretty tough and will last, so I bought one myself and the guy said something much less like 200 and I got it for 150 lol. My mate standing 1 meter away had that blank look that homer simpson often has.

Anyway, the next day I realised that either:

1. its fake, so I overpaid and got ripped off; or

2. this is Thailand, so if it's real, of course they would just kill animals for profiteering - and I was ashamed for having not realised this before purchasing it.

Either way, I regretted the purchase.

If you still feel the need to support this, it was from near the end of the east side of Asunarm Market which is an offshoot market street from the night bazaar.

Horses or dirt bikes.

Thank you.

I have one identical to this pic sitting in front of me on the table - only its a nice brown instead of an old faded white.

My mate said he got one and that he proudly bargained down to 300b, and I thought leather is probably pretty tough and will last, so I bought one myself and the guy said something much less like 200 and I got it for 150 lol. My mate standing 1 meter away had that blank look that homer simpson often has.

Anyway, the next day I realised that either:

1. its fake, so I overpaid and got ripped off; or

2. this is Thailand, so if it's real, of course they would just kill animals for profiteering - and I was ashamed for having not realised this before purchasing it.

Either way, I regretted the purchase.

If you still feel the need to support this, it was from near the end of the east side of Asunarm Market which is an offshoot market street from the night bazaar.

Thank you for this input. Really, the price should be no more than 100Baht now if it was 25Baht in 1999.

Also, I think that we have pretty much reached a consensus that the leather is genuine leather and will wear like the material originally used to make your favorite pair of old boots.

So the skin type does not matter if it is horse or buffalo hide which must be profitably disposed of after we consume the meat on the carcass.

I do wholeheartedly agree with you concerning the branding of this wallet product, and it would be nice if the manufacturer would tell us that the brand is Elephant but the hide is other than elephant.

To me, it would be wroth more to know that this purse was made from a sow's ear, instead of this largest and most lovable of mammals.

Edited by OldChinaHam

Sorry, I meant to say "largest land mammals".

Although the real largest mammals, whales, can be lovable too.

Just not as lovable toward humans as elephants,

And, whale wallets I have never seen sold in the BKK airport.

But I would buy one if they were locally made and had the same embossed design, "Elephant Genuine Leather".

And were 100Baht max.

Does anybody know if they are in fact real elephant skin where the hides are sourced? I just asked my GF and she said "you mean 14 hrs" in all sincerity.

They are not made of elephant skin.

I think I agree with you now, but I was not sure before. I have not seen them being sold in Thailand, although one seller I just found in the south of Thailand who also advertises his store on the internet states that these are genuine elephant leather.

The thought of anyone wanting to buy products made from elephant parts is sick.

Anyone who buys these products is fueling the trade in cruelty and slaughter for profits.

Elephants are highly intelligent animals and rapidly becoming an endangered species in Thailand, probably all over the Asian continent where elephants exist.

Some people, the mind boggles.

• Like 2

Anyone who buys these products is fueling the trade in cruelty and slaughter for profits.

Elephants are highly intelligent animals and rapidly becoming an endangered species in Thailand, probably all over the Asian continent where elephants exist.

Of course I agree with most of what you say.

But I do NOT believe any elephants are being slaughtered to make 25Baht wallets.

Sort of off topic here, but since you broached the subject, it is, as any learned naturalist knows, the loss of habitat (and poaching) which is devastating not only the elephants but most of the world's other species too.These habitats are being cut apart, separated from each other, when they need to be continuous to allow the continued survival of a great many species. There is already fairly good consensus that much of the wildlife we have today is doomed. There are strategies being pushed by forward thinking scientists suggesting viable ways to still save much by concentrating what funding is available on protecting the endangered species that have a chance to survive. These strategies can work and do not require relatively much money.

I suggest you read researchers like Dr. E.O. Wilson who is at the forefront of researching causes and rate of devastation of species around the planet.

The animal cruelty issue must be solved through much increased funding for education of Thai youth regarding proper management and protection and non-exploitation of the animals living in Thailand. So far, the human adults in Thailand have failed miserably by the cruelty measure it seems. But which country has done much better? Laws must be enforced..

But I do NOT believe any elephants are being slaughtered to make 25Baht wallets.

Sort of off topic here, but since you broached the subject, it is, as any learned naturalist knows, the loss of habitat (and poaching) which is devastating not only the elephants but most of the world's other species too.These habitats are being cut apart, separated from each other, when they need to be continuous to allow the continued survival of a great many species. There is already fairly good consensus that much of the wildlife we have today is doomed. There are strategies being pushed by forward thinking scientists suggesting viable ways to still save much by concentrating what funding is available on protecting the endangered species that have a chance to survive. These strategies can work and do not require relatively much money.

I suggest you read researchers like Dr. E.O. Wilson who is at the forefront of researching causes and rate of devastation of species around the planet.

The animal cruelty issue must be solved through much increased funding for education of Thai youth regarding proper management and protection and non-exploitation of the animals living in Thailand. So far, the human adults in Thailand have failed miserably by the cruelty measure it seems. But which country has done much better? Laws must be enforced..

You are right.

Depressing as this may sound, I am glad to be the age that I am and won`t be here in the next 30 years to see what appears to be a grim future for this planet.

If I had my way, I would tear down most of the big cities and give it all back to nature. Definitely time for another great flood and a Noah`s ark.

• Like 1

You are right.

Depressing as this may sound, I am glad to be the age that I am and won`t be here in the next 30 years to see what appears to be a grim future for this planet.

If I had my way, I would tear down most of the big cities and give it all back to nature. Definitely time for another great flood and a Noah`s ark.

Obviously, great minds sometimes think alike.

Only ---

You can keep your floods.

I have had enough, with the flooding.

(If you have been keeping up with the China news, the new regime led by their new dictator will be pushing for full Urbanization speed ahead. Great Humongous city conglomerations are now planned which will dwarf anything seen yet in China. The timeline is 10 years to full completion. We are talking of city structures with hundreds of millions now, not tens of millions like relatively tiny Tokyo. The PRD is already unsustainable, and the Chinese want to urbanize another 500 million or so. No doubt they would see floods too if they had not such a desperate water shortage crisis. Since you and I are probably about equal in age, I too feel like you, better to be off this coil when everything suddenly becomes totally "unsprung".)

Edited by OldChinaHam

Your elephant leather wallet wears out in six months? No wonder elephants are endangered, they're such delicate animals!

Sorry, but I do not believe this poster is buying the real McCoy.

The two I bought in 1999 are still around and functional.

They just are so good that the youngsters, now adults, want more.

These wallets are very well sewn and the seams do not split.

Since this is Thailand. I expect there to be knockoffs.

But if you find the genuine article, you will not be disappointed.

Have you ever heard me rave over any product like this before?

No.

If we can just establish what we already know, that these are faux elephant, but still genuine leather,

Then who can't be happy?

We must find the factory whence all genuine faux elephant leather wallets flow.

My thoughts also.

Maybe comes under the category of cheap rhino horns, shark fin soup or a few hundred kg of elephant tusks.

The level of intelligence needed to believe these wallets are actually made of elephant hide give me less faith in the future of my planet than if they actually were made of elephant hide.

Anyway, there might be a number of manufacturers of the wallets, but I wouldn't call them knockoffs. All the ones I've bought in the last ten years start looking a bit worn after 6 months, although they don't fall apart. The fake leather grain kind of rubs off and the edges curl a little, then I replace it with a brand new one.

Except, I'm at about a year now with this one and I haven't been able to find any replacements at MBK or previous sellers. "Finished" is what they all say.

post-3026-0-68828500-1373510078_thumb.jp

Edited by ricklev

The level of intelligence needed to believe these wallets are actually made of elephant hide give me less faith in the future of my planet than if they actually were made of elephant hide.

Anyway, there might be a number of manufacturers of the wallets, but I wouldn't call them knockoffs. All the ones I've bought in the last ten years start looking a bit worn after 6 months, although they don't fall apart. The fake leather grain kind of rubs off and the edges curl a little, then I replace it with a brand new one.

Except, I'm at about a year now with this one and I haven't been able to find any replacements at MBK or previous sellers. "Finished" is what they all say.

I can't vouch for my intelligence, as you rightly question. But thank you for the info.

It may be that the factory really has closed down after many years.

If so, then I better redouble my efforts to find about ten, which should last altogether 100 years.

If I can find a reliable supplier, I could PM you I suppose.

But after your disparaging remark concerning my Mensa-like intelligence, this may require giving you a special discount, or something.

I can't vouch for my intelligence, as you rightly question. But thank you for the info.

If so, then I better redouble my efforts to find about ten, which should last altogether 100 years.

But after your disparaging remark concerning my Mensa-like intelligence, this may require giving you a special discount, or something.

Oops. I apologize for my caustic "wit". I didn't mean for it to be directed at you personally, but didn't think enough.

Oops. I apologize for my caustic "wit". I didn't mean for it to be directed at you personally, but didn't think enough.

If the glove fits

I shall wear it.

Even best thinking and intentions by smart guys

sometimes fail, and we must admit.