Elephant Wallets In Chiang Mai?

OldChinaHam

My elephant skin belt is indestructable. And holds it shape year after year. Hides are sliced into thinner pieces and the outer layer used. Otherwise it would be way too thick to be used for wallets or belts.

• Like 1

My elephant skin belt is indestructable. And holds it shape year after year. Hides are sliced into thinner pieces and the outer layer used. Otherwise it would be way too thick to be used for wallets or belts.

Are you serious?

Or are you just barking again?

From your carnival big top.

Are you serious?

Carnivals don't have big tops. Neither do they have elephants. That would be a circus.

Are you serious?

Carnivals don't have big tops. Neither do they have elephants. That would be a circus.

OK, Circus Circus, or circus schmirkus.

All I am asking is if this belt might have been made of elephant skin.

And, are you saying it could be made into a wallet?

as you notice... it says elepahant stamped...

I had several that i bought about 10 yrs ago also..different than the one pictured in that the stamp was smaller and there was no zipper on the inside.

i bought mine from a vendor in CM, who is still there, but don't know if he still sells elephant wallets... i know he still sells stingray and he is located downstairs, at the rear of a large shopping area, in the night market. One of those buildings that has a few levels, near the big open market space... sorry for the crap directions... but have not been there in a couple of years.

• Like 1

as you notice... it says elepahant stamped...

I had several that i bought about 10 yrs ago also..different than the one pictured in that the stamp was smaller and there was no zipper on the inside.

i bought mine from a vendor in CM, who is still there, but don't know if he still sells elephant wallets... i know he still sells stingray and he is located downstairs, at the rear of a large shopping area, in the night market. One of those buildings that has a few levels, near the big open market space... sorry for the crap directions... but have not been there in a couple of years.

Yes, you are right some have zippers and some do not.

I chose the ones without zipper or plastic window because they look "cheap" and not durable.

I also think you are correct that there must be differences in quality,

After the first two were purchased at the airport in 1999, I had my Chinese girlfriend who was visiting Thailand in 2002 buy a few for me. These were different, were marked 175 Baht with a sticker which is still attached, and all have plastic windows and zippers.

I don't like zippers in my wallet.

I just really want to find the original good quality wallets I bought as gifts 14 years ago.

There is one store I just found in Pattaya which seems to advertise them. But I don't really want to deal with the tourist stores down there.

Why do you think I came to Chiang Mai in the first place and am happy as a clam without the tourists?

I have not seen one tourist since I've been here.

But I don't wanna deal with no tourist stores down dare nohow.

So thanks for the suggestion to a possible CM source.

• 1 month later...

Re: Elephant Leather.

I hope this article I found on EBay's Exotic Skin Leather' clears up any confusion about the origin of 'Elephant Leather'.

Elephant Leather

Elephant leather was originally made using the skins of elephants. Preferred for the unique deep pattern of the skin; it was both stronger and softer than conventional cow leather. The hides could be dyed to almost any color and held the dye much better than cow leather.

Today only three species of elephant remain in the world, all are protected by International Law, and all are endangered to some level.
Two species exist in Africa; the African Bush Elephant (Loxodonta africana) and the African Forest Elephant (Loxodonta cyclotis). At one time these two species were believed even to be one, but today most experts acknowledge them as separate. The third species is the Asiatic (Asian) Elephant (Elephas maximus).

In Africa some countries still allow limited harvesting of some elephants but it is strictly controlled. Ivory sales run by the Government happen about every ten years. In Asia all elephants are looked upon as protected.

Today elephants have become a national symbol and treasure here in Thailand. The Thai Artesian families that have produce elephant leather for hundreds of years have developed new processes to transform normal cow hides into a product that looks like, and has all the qualities of natural elephant leather.

Today there is no reason to use elephants to produce this leather. The leather hides used to product elephant leather comes from legal sources and not from endangered or threatened animals. The new replacement products are made from Bos taurus indicus, (bovine) and has become the world standard. These processed leathers have gone through unique methods of tanning, embossing, and treatment making it the finest of its type offered in the world

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 9 years later...

I am resurrecting this ancient thread because I happened upon an elephant brand leather wallet of the sort I used to buy years ago. There is a vendor at the Sunday market in Chiang Mai selling them. I paid 200 baht each without much bargaining. After ten years I'm back in the faux elephant skin wallet game! 

16883040752445845787267662661219.jpg

Edited by ricklev