Thai talk: Honest bureaucrats should be praised, not threatened

webfact

THAI TALK
Honest bureaucrats should be praised, not threatened

Suthichai Yoon
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- THE Finance Ministry has set up a very unusual committee with a very dubious assignment. It is charged with the unenviable task of trying to find out what a senior official there told a Senate committee seeking information about the controversial rice price-pledging scheme.

The need to set up this particular committee isn't very convincing unless it has a real purpose that is totally different from the stated objective.

The "target" in question is Supa Piyachitti, a deputy permanent secretary at the ministry, who also heads a working group that takes care of the books related to the financial bottom line of subsidy schemes for prices of agricultural products, with rice being the main item.

The uproar is over what she told the Senate Committee on Economy, Commerce and Industry, which invited her to tell members about stories that the rice scheme is full of loopholes and that it is costing taxpayers an unprecedented amount of money.

The press reported that Supa said what she has said on other occasions all along - that the loss is piling up and that corruption is widespread, and loopholes are exploited at every step of the process.

Premier Yingluck Shinawatra wants to find out why Supa made this statement. Minister Vorathep Rattakorn, in charge of looking into the numbers of the project, and Finance Minister Kittiratt na Ranong, are demanding that Supa come up with "evidence" to prove her testimony.

Then came the news that a committee had been set up to consider disciplinary action against Supa. Minister Kittiratt denied that. Yes, a committee was formed but it wasn't of a disciplinary nature. It was to be a "fact-finding" mission to discover what Supa had told the Senate committee - and whether the press had misquoted her.

If facts are what the prime minister and ministers are after, there is a much simpler way of finding out. The premier and finance minister - Supa's bosses - could just summon her to a meeting and ask the senior official (she is due to retire in the next few months) point-blank what she said to the parliamentary task force.

In fact, the minister could have found out both what Supa told the committee and what the "facts" are without resorting to the complicated process of setting up a committee. It would have been easy, in fact, to just ask for the taped testimony to hear what Supa actually said. There is no need whatever to employ the antiquated practice of threatening a bureaucrat who doesn't follow politicians' whims by applying the pressure of investigation over alleged disciplinary offences.

Supa is no whistleblower in the strictest sense of the word. She isn't trying to "expose" any government secrets. Nor has she even attempted to discredit the government's populist polices. Supa, as a good, honest servant of the taxpayer, was simply telling it as it is - and as she should. As an experienced technocrat, the deputy permanent secretary is only warning about potential corrupt practices - which the premier had declared, just one day earlier, with great fanfare, as a high priority issue for the government to tackle.

When our reporter asked her for comments on the looming investigation against her, Supa said: "I don't have any particular feelings one way or the other. I am doing my duty. Finance Minister Kittiratt is also performing his duty. The permanent secretary [Areepong Poocha-oom] is also doing his duty. We have respect for one another."

Supa insists that she told the Senate committee that the rice price-pledging scheme was risky and there are loopholes being exploited at every step of the process because of the involvement of up to 10 government agencies.

She recalled that a committee member had also asked her to identify the step that was most vulnerable to corruption, "and I responded by saying that every step in the process carried risk of corruption. In fact, what I told the committee members was included in a report from my sub-committee, which had been submitted to the prime minister as early as October last year".

That means the premier and finance minister shouldn't be surprised by what the deputy permanent secretary is telling anyone who cares to listen about the loopholes in the project.

A conscientious and courageous bureaucrat who dares to speak the truth - quite a rare species in Thailand's officialdom - should get praise and encouragement, not veiled threats of disciplinary investigations.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-07-11

Kittirat that greedy motherF****£*£*ing B********** of white liar.

I so can't stand to hear his name or SEE his greedy porky pig face!!!!!!!!!! Aaaasrrrrrggghhh!!!!!!!

Edited by MaxLee

A conscientious and courageous bureaucrat who dares to speak the truth - quite a rare species in Thailand's officialdom - should get praise and encouragement, not veiled threats of disciplinary investigations.

A rarity indeed in the LoS. And when someone does actually publicly tell the truth (I'm assuming here that she is accurate in what she says), then those in power don't like it, despite their earlier calls for people to expose corruption anywhere they see it. I guess this applies to everyone else as always. One rule for the elite, one for the rest. Business as usual.

• Like 1

I seem to remember the PM asking the Thai people to report corruption when and where they see it. Now someone has done so they are the subject of a witch hunt.

In my time here I have learned that Thais are very careful about complaining, reporting etc. and as an ex-GF explained it's something we are all aware of " who are you taking on ? "

The contradictions involved make the PM's request so cosmetic, she knows the rules as well, maybe better, than most.

I so can't stand to hear his name or SEE his greedy porky pig face!!!!!!!!!! Aaaasrrrrrggghhh!!!!!!!

How old are you?

16 year old Australian female I think. (sorry for the racism and mysonginy etc)

She recalled that a committee member had also asked her to identify the step that was most vulnerable to corruption, "and I responded by saying that every step in the process carried risk of corruption. In fact, what I told the committee members was included in a report from my sub-committee, which had been submitted to the prime minister as early as October last year".

truth.jpg

wai.gif

• Like 1

Hub of hypocracy...it seems that truth here can never be raw and unadorned then i remembered the movie "Awakenings" about a bunch of patients suffering Locked-in syndrome it usually results in the inability to speak in otherwise cognitively intact individuals. Those with locked-in syndrome(LIS) may be able to communicate with others through coded messages by blinking or moving their eyes, which are often not affected by the paralysis. Patients who have locked-in syndrome are conscious and aware, with no loss of cognitive function. Some patients may have the ability to move certain facial muscles(a smile being the easiest) and most often some or all of the extraocular eye muscles. This restricts them from producing voluntary sounds, though the vocal cords are not paralysed...

As the shonky one's continue to run the country, the honest ones are being brow beaten, berated and forced into silence, that for so long has been the whole mark of Thai tradition , silence and the reward, pay off will come to those who toe the line, you would need to know a fair amount about the subject before taking the path that our good whistle blower has taken , I recommend to the Brain dead in the PTP and to the Good Prime Minister ,to listen ,cause people are waking up to your dirty tricks.bah.gif

DSI official Kittikong Kanajan warned suspects against intimidating witnesses. "We have found that the suspects have constantly intimidated witnesses. Such intimidation is punishable under Thai law," he said,

"Premier Yingluck Shinawatra wants to find out why Supa made this statement. Minister Vorathep Rattakorn, in charge of looking into the numbers of the project, and Finance Minister Kittiratt na Ranong, are demanding that Supa come up with "evidence" to prove her testimony."

Take heed

• Like 2

wow thats how to speak your mind hahaha

I seem to remember the PM asking the Thai people to report corruption when and where they see it. Now someone has done so they are the subject of a witch hunt.

Great Point ! Didn't the new cabinet also swear to fight corruption ?

Maybe there was rider to that oath " unless it involves us, family, cronies, friends and anybody else we don't want investigated ".

I think they swore to fight corruption already 5 times!!

30182356-01_big_zpsd057d596.jpg

But they don't seem to be taking it that serious..

That was the whole purpose of asking for people to report corruption.

So that the government could attack them.

In this case it was information Yingluck already had and was sitting on.

Yingluck had and still has no intention of doing any thing about the allegations.

It would not surprise me if she does one of two things if the press faces her on it.

1 walk away

2 Say give me 6 months

• Like 1

DSI official Kittikong Kanajan warned suspects against intimidating witnesses. "We have found that the suspects have constantly intimidated witnesses. Such intimidation is punishable under Thai law," he said,

"Premier Yingluck Shinawatra wants to find out why Supa made this statement. Minister Vorathep Rattakorn, in charge of looking into the numbers of the project, and Finance Minister Kittiratt na Ranong, are demanding that Supa come up with "evidence" to prove her testimony."

Take heed

it is amazing how hard it can be to give someone a call to ask, maybe send them an SMS even, chat on "Line" or "Skype", morse code. Getting hold of someone to ask them a question is just soooo hard to do. In fact, there are even these new fangled things called mobile phones, where you pick them up and talk to people through the air. I wonder if Yingluck knows anyone who can buy one for her? Maybe they will even give her one for free. Who knows, if she's good at it, she might be able to find a way to make a business with these amazing inventions.

As the shonky one's continue to run the country, the honest ones are being brow beaten, berated and forced into silence, that for so long has been the whole mark of Thai tradition , silence and the reward, pay off will come to those who toe the line, you would need to know a fair amount about the subject before taking the path that our good whistle blower has taken , I recommend to the Brain dead in the PTP and to the Good Prime Minister ,to listen ,cause people are waking up to your dirty tricks.bah.gif

I believe that is the way it happens around the world, speak out are want to make changes in the way things are run, even if good ideas, you will be silenced. The rewards always go to the suck up and the yes men on rare occasion does the truly competent get rewarded

Take heed

it is amazing how hard it can be to give someone a call to ask, maybe send them an SMS even, chat on "Line" or "Skype", morse code. Getting hold of someone to ask them a question is just soooo hard to do. In fact, there are even these new fangled things called mobile phones, where you pick them up and talk to people through the air. I wonder if Yingluck knows anyone who can buy one for her? Maybe they will even give her one for free. Who knows, if she's good at it, she might be able to find a way to make a business with these amazing inventions.

I think she only uses skype now.

Take heed

I think she only uses skype now.

I have stupas Skype name

Supathericecorruptionbuster

I'll share it with yingluck

Skype name ihavenocluewhtasgoingonbutyimsooayai