Protesters call on Thai Army to stage 'peaceful coup'

webfact

Amazing! - your response summarised:

PTP is not perfect but close too it.

Back to the denigrating the Democrats.

And you have difficulty understanding my preoccupation with a party which has accumulated estimated losses now approaching a trillion baht and ever increasing in a continuing policy. But this is alright because they won an election! Economic development might be set back 50 years, but look how healthy their democracy might be, assuming there is no slide into dictatorship.

Please pay closer attention.I did not say that the PTP was perfect, far from it.My point was that it has become a formidable organisation in winning elections and there are a variety of reasons for this. In contrast the Democrat Party is in disarray and with an appalling record in recent national elections.This is important because Thais must learn to debate their differences in a democratic framework, and not resort to absurd coup fantasies( your problem it seems) or on the other side threaten the cities with red mobs.Simply won't do.

I do not really understand the rest of your post which veers into incoherence. If you are saying a coup is needed because of the losses under the rice price pledging scheme, that simply puts you squarely in the ranks of the extreme reactionaries.In any case I have made my points politely and clearly, and perhaps we should end on that note.

Do you understand the simple fact that PTP supporters tend not to be interested in debate due to apathy?

Ask the electorate in CM province what the differences were between the Democrat and PTP policies. Do you honestly believe they'll answer the question with a coherent reply? Red is good - full stop.

How many more times? - Stop confusing democratic elections with democracy.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And you have difficulty understanding my preoccupation with a party which has accumulated estimated losses now approaching a trillion baht and ever increasing in a continuing policy. But this is alright because they won an election! Economic development might be set back 50 years, but look how healthy their democracy might be, assuming there is no slide into dictatorship.

Please pay closer attention.I did not say that the PTP was perfect, far from it.My point was that it has become a formidable organisation in winning elections and there are a variety of reasons for this. In contrast the Democrat Party is in disarray and with an appalling record in recent national elections.This is important because Thais must learn to debate their differences in a democratic framework, and not resort to absurd coup fantasies( your problem it seems) or on the other side threaten the cities with red mobs.Simply won't do.

I do not really understand the rest of your post which veers into incoherence. If you are saying a coup is needed because of the losses under the rice price pledging scheme, that simply puts you squarely in the ranks of the extreme reactionaries.In any case I have made my points politely and clearly, and perhaps we should end on that note.

Do you understand the simple fact that PTP supporters tend not to be interested in debate due to apathy?

Ask the electorate in CM province what the differences were between the Democrat and PTP policies. Do you honestly believe they'll answer the question with a coherent reply? Red is good - full stop.

How many more times:stop confusing the mere fact, that the Democrats call them selves "Democrats" with the fact that they are Democrats...

Putting aside the rights and wrongs of the sentiment, it is a bit of a strange part of a quote ""parliamentary dictators who were attempting to bring the Army under their control". Surely the army should be under the control of any Government, which the army go to pains profess at times.

Absolutely correct and therefore Thailand cannot be called a democracy.

How many more times:stop confusing the mere fact, that the Democrats call them selves "Democrats" with the fact that they are Democrats...

Indeed -- same as in USA; Germany, etc

Protestors in Thailand call on the army to undertake a coup.Obviously comments on the forum should primarily focus on local events.Nevertheless there are similar essentially middle class/old establishment versus democracy in other parts of the world, notably Egypt and Turkey.Any educated intelligent person would wish from time to time to compare and contrast.The similarities between say Thailand and Egypt are fascinating, as are the differences.To compare and contrast is certainly not muddying the waters.

Protestors in Thailand call on the army to undertake a coup.Obviously comments on the forum should primarily focus on local events.Nevertheless there are similar essentially middle class/old establishment versus democracy in other parts of the world, notably Egypt and Turkey.Any educated intelligent person would wish from time to time to compare and contrast.The similarities between say Thailand and Egypt are fascinating, as are the differences.To compare and contrast is certainly not muddying the waters.

While we compare and contrast, perhaps we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that a democratically elected government has proven itself incapable of governing according to parliamentary democracy.

The mad rush to change laws to allow them complete freedom to 'legally' govern against thailand's best interests is perhaps the most blatant example.

You seem obsessed with the people who aren't in power.

What was the result of the last coup? A greedy despot was removed from power, the military presided over a popular 'cooling down' period, then democratic government was restored. Shame the Thai obsession with repeating its mistakes, means that the chance afforded them by the military has been thrown away - again

• Like 1

While we compare and contrast, perhaps we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that a democratically elected government has proven itself incapable of governing according to parliamentary democracy.

The mad rush to change laws to allow them complete freedom to 'legally' govern against thailand's best interests is perhaps the most blatant example.

What was the result of the last coup? A greedy despot was removed from power, the military presided over a popular 'cooling down' period, then democratic government was restored. Shame the Thai obsession with repeating its mistakes, means that the chance afforded them by the military has been thrown away - again

I am struggling to understand how these comments are in any way a response to the points made in my post.

As for your remarks about Thailand, it must be galling for those holding these views that the Thai people seem to regard them of little account.

I am struggling to understand how these comments are in any way a response to the points made in my post.

As for your remarks about Thailand, it must be galling for those holding these views that the Thai people seem to regard them of little account.

I'm not in a position to understand the reasons why you didn't understand what I intended to be a clear representation of what a Thai coup actually means - a cooling down period.

Your comment about non-Thais feeling galled, should perhaps err more on the side of despair.

The fact is, we wouldn't be having this discussion if the present Government was governing for Thailand and its people, rather than carrying on where the criminal, cowardly, former PM, hiding in a life of luxury, left off.

No doubt we'll come back to the fact that they were democratically elected, which will illicit the same response from me of - democratic elections is not the same as democracy.

I'm not in a position to understand the reasons why you didn't understand what I intended to be a clear representation of what a Thai coup actually means - a cooling down period.

Your comment about non-Thais feeling galled, should perhaps err more on the side of despair.

The fact is, we wouldn't be having this discussion if the present Government was governing for Thailand and its people, rather than carrying on where the criminal, cowardly, former PM, hiding in a life of luxury, left off.

No doubt we'll come back to the fact that they were democratically elected, which will illicit the same response from me of - democratic elections is not the same as democracy.

Well intentioned people believe siding with the military protects freedom.History teaches bitter lessons.Ride the tiger.End up inside.

Until it's proven, that is hearsay m'lord.

Noistar,

you and many on here believe that given the current state of affairs that a coup would be no bad thing. what and how in your view would any coup do to transition to a democratic government bearing in mind a couple of points;

1) The PTP won the election, and i would presume after a coup would be even more popular

2)The army have shown time and again they are as corrupt as anyone and as incompetent.

Lets have some solutions.

• Like 1

Noistar,

you and many on here believe that given the current state of affairs that a coup would be no bad thing. what and how in your view would any coup do to transition to a democratic government bearing in mind a couple of points;

1) The PTP won the election, and i would presume after a coup would be even more popular

2)The army have shown time and again they are as corrupt as anyone and as incompetent.

I'll have a go. Your so called " transition to a democratic government" might be better delayed while some of the institutions of democracy are installed/improved, such as an educated populace and a free and critical press - both of which seem to be sadly lacking. If that delay was caused by the removal of a government as inept and corrupt as today's, several hundred billion baht would be (could have been?) available for education and infrastructure improvements.

While I agree the military is as corrupt as the general population, is there any evidence that during a coup administration they even attempted to steal in anywhere near the quantities we now see disappearing down the rice-hole? Or any reluctance to return to democracy? The last coup saw legislation and constitution amendments introducing anti-corruption measures; unfortunately nowhere near enough, and under constant attack and funding reduction. Hopefully the next might bring irrevocable laws protecting the press and others from prosecution for valid criticism, just as important IMHO as the right to elect a government of choice, and a right sadly lacking and that lack being currently exploited. Criticise us and we will sue says the lovely but incompetent pseudo-PM.

PTP may become more popular, assuming the coup causes the voters to forget the reasons for the coup - the economic disaster now brewing. As that will continue for some time, that is a big assumption. Even if true, the current PTP administration may have a hard time being elected from a cell, or more permanent removal.

In your simplistic view a coup reduces democracy, in a wider view it could actually improve it.

Edited by OzMick
  • Like 1

Noistar,

I'll have a go. Your so called " transition to a democratic government" might be better delayed while some of the institutions of democracy are installed/improved, such as an educated populace and a free and critical press - both of which seem to be sadly lacking. If that delay was caused by the removal of a government as inept and corrupt as today's, several hundred billion baht would be (could have been?) available for education and infrastructure improvements.

While I agree the military is as corrupt as the general population, is there any evidence that during a coup administration they even attempted to steal in anywhere near the quantities we now see disappearing down the rice-hole? Or any reluctance to return to democracy? The last coup saw legislation and constitution amendments introducing anti-corruption measures; unfortunately nowhere near enough, and under constant attack and funding reduction. Hopefully the next might bring irrevocable laws protecting the press and others from prosecution for valid criticism, just as important IMHO as the right to elect a government of choice, and a right sadly lacking and that lack being currently exploited. Criticise us and we will sue says the lovely but incompetent pseudo-PM.

PTP may become more popular, assuming the coup causes the voters to forget the reasons for the coup - the economic disaster now brewing. As that will continue for some time, that is a big assumption. Even if true, the current PTP administration may have a hard time being elected from a cell, or more permanent removal.

In your simplistic view a coup reduces democracy, in a wider view it could actually improve it.

You have far far more confidence in the military's ability and want for change than I have.

They have never shown any desire to change the system, and I am not sure why you presume they have now. They always have been and still are making hay. Why would they want to change the system and assist putting in place a proper government who they were actually answerable to, and had the power to do something about the corruption in the army etc?

Its insanity, please tell me why you think the army would do something about corruption, they sit nicely on the sidelines now, why would they want to actually change things?

• Like 1

You have far far more confidence in the military's ability and want for change than I have.

They have never shown any desire to change the system, and I am not sure why you presume they have now. They always have been and still are making hay. Why would they want to change the system and assist putting in place a proper government who they were actually answerable to, and had the power to do something about the corruption in the army etc?

Its insanity, please tell me why you think the army would do something about corruption, they sit nicely on the sidelines now, why would they want to actually change things?

The army have made small steps forward over the years. They changed to allow proper elections, and even went so far as to allow a government to complete it's term.

As far as doing something about corruption, the army would probably do as much about corruption as PTP. The army sits nicely on the sidelines whereas the PTP sit smack in the middle.

The army have made small steps forward over the years. They changed to allow proper elections, and even went so far as to allow a government to complete it's term.

As far as doing something about corruption, the army would probably do as much about corruption as PTP. The army sits nicely on the sidelines whereas the PTP sit smack in the middle.

Its window dressing an everyone knows it. Much the same way as the opening up of Burma. The military are just taking steps to legitimize themselves, the only shocking thing is how quick many Governments have been to accept it on face value. (They obviously know what is happening but chose to gloss over it-i presume Burma is rich in natural resources)

Its window dressing an everyone knows it. Much the same way as the opening up of Burma. The military are just taking steps to legitimize themselves, the only shocking thing is how quick many Governments have been to accept it on face value. (They obviously know what is happening but chose to gloss over it-i presume Burma is rich in natural resources)

It's still a step forward.

Noistar,

Most of the anti-corruption agencies were initiated in the last constitution. Would it be so surprising to you if senior members of the military wanted to see their country improve? If they are so corrupt, why have they failed to grab for the "big banana" instead of settling for a portion of the military budget?

BTW the Thai military does answer to the government and AFAIK has never refused a set task. But they refuse to hand over control of their promotion system to have political stooges appointed, and reserve their loyalty to King and Nation, not the temporary government of the day. While some refute the need for a "reset button" until this country develops some more of the essentials of democracy, it is still required.

• Like 1

Noistar,

Well, we could try supporting the status quo. Can't think of any benefits or solutions if that policy is followed.

Whether or not PTP would be more popular is not the point. The point is that a coup draws a line before democracy is restored.

The fact PTP have such a short attention span and even less intelligence to understand 'why' the military feel obliged to step in, shows more about how self-centered they are.

I imagine there is corruption throughout Thai institutions, but the result of a coup, certainly the last one, was not a free for all with the country's financial assets. That came after the election which happened after the military restored democracy.

Sorry, I missed your solutions.

You rightly point out that the Thaksin party (I use the term merely to acknowledge that the name changes) can win democratic elections. Why they are able to do this has more to do with apathy than policies IMO.

The problem is always that the democratic election win does not result in democratic government.

Is there a point where Thailand needs to be saved from itself, or do we watch from the sidelines, witness Thailand's destruction and shrug our shoulders as we say 'hey, that's democracy'?

The privileged group that has been pillaging & running the country for decades have lost control to the majority and want another coup!

Why not? It worked before.

So we should let the NEW privileged group continue pillaging the country, no matter how inept, incompetent and blatantly corrupt they might be?

What value do we place on the principle of democracy in the distorted form as exists here? In pure economic terms, how many billions, or trillions, of baht is that worth? As much as they can steal and waste in 4 years?

How much criminal waste and theft should be allowed, before somebody says "Enough!"

• Like 1

The privileged group that has been pillaging & running the country for decades have lost control to the majority and want another coup!

Why not? It worked before.

You say 'lost control to the majority'. Is that an acknowledgement that there is no such thing as democracy in Thailand?

'Democracy' seems to have a unique definition in Thailand in the same way as 'coup' has.

Putting aside the rights and wrongs of the sentiment, it is a bit of a strange part of a quote ""parliamentary dictators who were attempting to bring the Army under their control". Surely the army should be under the control of any Government,  which the army go to pains profess at times.

I dont often agree but yes the army should be under control of a government.

As for a coup, maybe a good idea seeing this government and its rice scam and having a fugitive (now with proof) leading the country from a distance is a discrage. But then again starting with coups is a bad thing and there is no real alternative for this government as long as the majority of Thai politicians are all corrupt its just changing those that feed of the government money. Only I still think the democrats steal less then the Reds, they really have up-scaled the theft.

I dont and have never disagreed with people regarding the corruption and inability of the PTP- but my stance has always been just let them get on with it and in time they will be voted out- having a coup will just restart the cycle- and after a coup unless you envisage having the army running it indefinitely they will  just create more resentment and 'feeling' of the whole  system being controlled and just bolster the popularity of Thaksin and his proxies.

While I agree with you regarding the effect of a coup, I am a bit concerned about what will happen if this government gets all the pieces in place on the chess board, if they get a sufficient level of control over everything they need, and if big brother returns and assumes direct rather than remote control, then Thailand may become a dictatorship totally at the mercy of a power hungry megalomaniac, then if a coup were to be attempted somewhere down the track, it could be a very bloody affair.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Shame the Thai obsession with repeating its mistakes, means that the chance afforded them by the military has been thrown away - again

It's inevitable and the nature of things here and will continue for many generations. If it is to work for the people, Thailand needs to be GOVERNED by someone else, period. Anyone, in fact, Martians even, but at the very least someone brought up with a brain educated on different shores. Mark would have done well if allowed and the cabinet were made up of people like him. So lets have another coup to get rid of this lot, yes, but don't expect much because there is just too much incentive to not go with the flow, and graft, no matter which side is pulling the strings.

Shame the Thai obsession with repeating its mistakes, means that the chance afforded them by the military has been thrown away - again

It's inevitable and the nature of things here and will continue for many generations. If it is to work for the people, Thailand needs to be GOVERNED by someone else, period. Anyone, in fact, Martians even, but at the very least someone brought up with a brain educated on different shores. Mark would have done well if allowed and the cabinet were made up of people like him. So lets have another coup to get rid of this lot, yes, but don't expect much because there is just too much incentive to not go with the flow, and graft, no matter which side is pulling the strings.

"So lets have another coup to get rid of this lot"

Why does "Mark" need the army to get him elected if he is so good for the country? There will be another election in the not so distant future, everyone who can vote will be able to vote for THEIR government, will they choose your beloved Mark? I doubt it.

In essence the proto fascists have become alarmed at improving links between the Yingluck government and the army.They know they can never win a general election with the toxic leadership of the Democrat Party.Increasingly reliance is being placed in the judicial system to remove the elected government, probably the constitutional Court.Difficult to rate the unelected elites chance of success here but I would suggest quite high despite the lack of unity between the various fascist splinter groups.Having said that even the criminals involved in masterminding the last coup may be aware that illegally or "legally" removing an elected government doesn't actually solve the structural problem of Thai politics and broader society.

Mark,

Wonder why he never investigated those drug war deaths?

Because the unelected elites that paved his way to power were enthusiastic supporters of the war on drugs,as to be fair were most Thais.Since then opponents of Thaksin have looked to make political capital of the war on drugs.These haven't been very successful for the reasons explained above.The sheer misery caused by the drug trade in Thailand has not been a factor in their politicking.