Similan islands Diving

dkman

Diving around Similan is not worth the effort IMHO.Check diving web sites for an alternative/s. Maybe less high profile places.When I was there boats were still dropping anchor and tearing up what is left of any coral. Was totally disappointed

Diving around Similan is not worth the effort IMHO.Check diving web sites for an alternative/s. Maybe less high profile places.When I was there boats were still dropping anchor and tearing up what is left of any coral. Was totally disappointed

Whats the other forum members opinion on diving the Similan Islands on a liveaboard. I was going to book a trip this year.

No, diving boats are not dropping anchor there, and yes, a trip to the Similans is still worth it.

Having said that, personally I prefer at the moment the divesites North of Similans like Koh Bon, Koh Tachai and of course Richelieu Rock. A 4 days (or longer) liveaboard trip will cover all these sites including Similans.

Also the diving further South in the Andaman Sea is really nice BTW. Divesites like Shark Point, King Cruiser, Anemone Reef, Bida Islands, other Phi Phi sites, Hin Daeng, Hin Muang and also e.g. Racha Islands offer really nice diving, quite often better than Similans and on par with North of Similans.

No, diving boats are not dropping anchor there, and yes, a trip to the Similans is still worth it.

Having said that, personally I prefer at the moment the divesites North of Similans like Koh Bon, Koh Tachai and of course Richelieu Rock. A 4 days (or longer) liveaboard trip will cover all these sites including Similans.

Also the diving further South in the Andaman Sea is really nice BTW. Divesites like Shark Point, King Cruiser, Anemone Reef, Bida Islands, other Phi Phi sites, Hin Daeng, Hin Muang and also e.g. Racha Islands offer really nice diving, quite often better than Similans and on par with North of Similans.

Well you would say that if you are in the business. I admit it was a few years ago but our boat did drop anchor until a few of us pointed that was not correct practice. Diving spots all round the world are being degraded as you would know.There is another thread running on Thai Visa that says exactly that.By all means go to Similan but if you are expecting pristine conditions you wont find them

Well you would say that if you are in the business. I admit it was a few years ago but our boat did drop anchor until a few of us pointed that was not correct practice. Diving spots all round the world are being degraded as you would know.There is another thread running on Thai Visa that says exactly that.By all means go to Similan but if you are expecting pristine conditions you wont find them

No dive boats around Phuket or Similans drop anchors full stop.

I agree. Many of these local sites are just as good IMO. Vis is generally better in the Similans and north of, with the exception of Raya Noi which usually has 30m vis.

Yes October 15, it open officially this year and if you find someone who's willing to take you out now (although I hope highly unlikely) do not go. I was out in the Similans at the end of April and I still found it fantastic so if you want to go, go for it but book a liveaboard as this is the best way to see it rather than long a**e day trip of up to 12 hours and all for two dives!!!

I think the quieter spots of Indonesia and Philipinnes would be the best bet. Thailand, unfortunately, has a way of destroying its natural beauty very quickly.

I think the quieter spots of Indonesia and Philipinnes would be the best bet. Thailand, unfortunately, has a way of destroying its natural beauty very quickly.

The PI are doing their best to ruin their dive sites also. I was at one, an underwater national park off Cebu, and saw massive fish traps just dropped on the corals. Corruption.

I did a few weeks of diving. In the south. The best was the clown fish reef. Amazing. Other than that, it was just OK. I'd love to dive Manado. One of my dreams. Or PNG!!

• Like 1

The PI are doing their best to ruin their dive sites also. I was at one, an underwater national park off Cebu, and saw massive fish traps just dropped on the corals. Corruption.

I did a few weeks of diving. In the south. The best was the clown fish reef. Amazing. Other than that, it was just OK. I'd love to dive Manado. One of my dreams. Or PNG!!

I hear Pulau Weh is good (north sumatra)