Kasem on Nimman

jonwilly

Why would it close? It always has customers whenever I go and their prices, while not expensive at all, are not idiotically low like some shops who don't understand accounting and the concept of profit vs days takings.

I'm pretty sure they have another store also but I've never been.

Argh ... I hope they aren't closing on niman - the other store is probably far away making it not really accessible =/

If they don't own the building it's inevitable that the rent will be hiked hugely given the growth in the area. At that point small grocery shops (however good) will have to face the choice as to whether to move or try to pass on what could be significant extra overheads to their customers. Part of the rise in property values is down to the condo boom around there but even if they are all sold, the question arises as to how many are occupied and for how many months of the year - the much hyped Chinese investor may simply leave it empty except for vacations and that isn't going to contribute to sales of cornflakes and artisan bread.

I spoke with the owner and he told me he is selling the shophouse (double wide) for 18 million baht and moving Kasems to another location on the road that leads to Wing 41 off of Suthep road. He added "not anytime soon."

cmfoodie

im sorry but your bing map is wrong !

if you turn left here

at the entrance to warrarot market

this kasem shop is about 150 yards on the left

nowhere near the traffic lights by the tesco lotus gas station sad.png

dave2

post-42592-0-97281800-1373898754_thumb.j

post-42592-0-52313100-1373899030_thumb.j

Edited by dave2

cmfoodie

im sorry but your bing map is wrong !

if you turn left here

at the entrance to warrarot market

this kasem shop is about 150 yards on the left

nowhere near the traffic lights by the tesco lotus gas station sad.png

dave2

I believe the store on the corner is open all the way around so it would be the very first shop on your left with a door way coming from the corner

I spoke with the owner and he told me he is selling the shophouse (double wide) for 18 million baht and moving Kasems to another location on the road that leads to Wing 41 off of Suthep road. He added "not anytime soon."

I aleays undrstood from 'Mrs Kasem' that she and her daughter owned the two stores. No Mention ever of a Mr!

@masuk

re .. Are there more than 2 stores in CM?

there used to be one behind the siam commercial bank at eq square on hang dong road but ive no idea if its still there ?

dave2

That looks nice inside. Is it still there?

I aleays undrstood from 'Mrs Kasem' that she and her daughter owned the two stores. No Mention ever of a Mr!

Who you mean by "Mrs Kasem" ? The mother of the two sisters who are now managing the two CM stores with their husbands or their aunt Khun Wilai? What I saw Khun Wilai running the original Kasem store 25 years ago and then her sister and later the daughters increasingly came into the operation. Not sure if sister and daughters is exactly correct because of the way those words are used in Thai and there may be another generation in there but anyway they are family.

Khun Wilai is a marvelous lady who always did the bills with a pencil on a scrap of paper and remembered customers by name, not just customers but their kids names and ages too. Do a google search for Wilai Udomphol for a pleasant read about her and the Kasem Store's history, story on Recipes of Asia site.

In case it might be okay, here is the site:

http://www.asian-recipe.com/thailand/th-information/wilai-udomphol-kasem-store.html

Edited by Dante99
  • Like 1

Who you mean by "Mrs Kasem" ? The mother of the two sisters who are now managing the two CM stores with their husbands or their aunt Khun Wilai? What I saw Khun Wilai running the original Kasem store 25 years ago and then her sister and later the daughters increasingly came into the operation. Not sure if sister and daughters is exactly correct because of the way those words are used in Thai and there may be another generation in there but anyway they are family.

Khun Wilai is a marvelous lady who always did the bills with a pencil on a scrap of paper and remembered customers by name, not just customers but their kids names and ages too. Do a google search for Wilai Udomphol for a pleasant read about her and the Kasem Store's history, story on Recipes of Asia site.

In case it might be okay, here is the site:

http://www.asian-recipe.com/thailand/th-information/wilai-udomphol-kasem-store.html

Yes you are quite right, my Mrs Kasem is indeed the marvelous person you name as Khun Wilai, your description of her is spot on. Indeed how time flies and the younger generations take over.