Thai TV host sued for contaminated rice claim

webfact

Sumeth said his company had bought two lots of rice under the rice-pledging scheme, which had been exported. He added that so far there have been complaints about the quality.

An odd thing for him to say unless The Nation are going to be the next ones facing a lawsuit.

That means that people cannot post messages on their OWN Facebook page anymore??

Interesting!

Not if it is defamatory and the person posting is a well known and respected person.
How does one defame rice? He didn't defame CP's rice. Just rice.

If I say I don't eat meatballs because I am unsure of their quality, this would be defamatory?

Edited by Thai at Heart

Where do they get the idea that this is going to help the reputation of rice. Proof that it's not contaminated would be a much better plan.

Interesting also that they are currently unsure as to whether they will pursue the law suit, and that this will depend on their legal team.

There is, of course, no defamation in truth, so is there some concern that they might lose the law suit?!

Unfortunately I don't think Thai law works quite like that. Truth is not treated as a defense against defamation as it would be in the UK for instance. Making comments that have a negative impact on a person, product, organization is a no no. Other legal systems defenses are irrelevant.

Edited by Baerboxer

That means that people cannot post messages on their OWN Facebook page anymore??

Interesting!

Not if it is defamatory and the person posting is a well known and respected person.

If I say I don't eat meatballs because I am unsure of their quality, this would be defamatory?

Cows would no doubt find that defamatory.

Where do they get the idea that this is going to help the reputation of rice. Proof that it's not contaminated would be a much better plan.

Interesting also that they are currently unsure as to whether they will pursue the law suit, and that this will depend on their legal team.

There is, of course, no defamation in truth, so is there some concern that they might lose the law suit?!

There is however damage to business.

And that trumps damage to consumers?

Interesting!

Cows would no doubt find that defamatory.

Don't you mean horses?

P'Check should have known better to post this on his wall.

They have worked very hard for many years to make TV Burapha what it is today.

This could ruin them. My wife is a friend of his wife. We had dinner with them last year.

Very nice people with good ideas. My wife is really worried about them.

TV Burapha has a program that involves buying rice direct from the farmers, cutting out the middle men.

Regarding the defamation, it does not matter if what he said is true or not. If he damages their reputation, he is liable.

That is fascinating part of Thai " freedom of the press". If I bought a bag of rice, took it to a laboratory to have it tested, found out it was contaminated, and then published those results, I would be sued by the rice company.

As near as I can tell, the truth is completely irrelevant. So I guess Thailand will never be the hub of whistle blowers.... :-)

• Like 1

Best publicity this guy ever had. I try to avoid rice as much as possible these days and think I havent had any at all for at least 6 weeks now. It doesnt taste good anyway and has little if any nutricianal value so people say, so eat better things instead and leave the rice to the locals.Even Thais try to avoid rice if they have enough money to buy other foods...

This could ruin them. My wife is a friend of his wife. We had dinner with them last year.

TV Burapha has a program that involves buying rice direct from the farmers, cutting out the middle men.

Regarding the defamation, it does not matter if what he said is true or not. If he damages their reputation, he is liable.

And he is now bending over backwards to make up for his faux paux.

CP is the one company in Thailand that one DOES NOT want to piss off...

Can somebody count the number of rice threads we have had during the last 12 months. Most hearsay, alledgedly and down right lies fueled by muppets on here. Who has the power to keep getting these stories aired when effectively none of them have facts linked. Now ask why Thaksin went for the rice exporters first.

RICEPost on rice contamination 'not meant to harm'

Sumeth said his company had bought two lots of rice under the rice-pledging scheme, which had been exported. He added that so far there have been complaints about the quality.

"The fact that the government bought huge amounts from farmers, it's inevitable that the quality would be affected by factors such as rain and rats," he said, adding that his company was seeking the endorsement of the Food and Drug Administration to ensure consumers of the quality.......

Seems to me Mr Sumeth is admitting the problem of rice quality and the fact that there have been complaints over his Brand if the article posted is correct. Maybe the Commerce Ministry will be around to file charges?

And he is now bending over backwards to make up for his faux paux.

CP is the one company in Thailand that one DOES NOT want to piss off...

The problem is, suing to shut someone up is absolutely the wrong strategy. Proving it's safe is the way forward by independent testing. There are thousands of labs that can do the test.