Scandal-hit Thai monk seems to be a master of marketing

webfact

LUANG PU NENKHAM
Scandal-hit monk seems to be a master of marketing

THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- Luang Pu Nenkham is a controversial monk today. But months ago, thousands of people held complete faith in him.

How did he manage to command their overwhelming respect and support? The answer might be as simple as a well-crafted marketing plan.

It all began many years ago when someone in his close circle reportedly took notice of people wondering why he looked much older in a photo than his true age, then decided to spread a story that he was born to liberate Buddhists from the chain of suffering.

Since the rumours circulated, the monk has attracted a huge following. He came to be called a "Luang Pu" - a title usually reserved for a monk old enough to be a grandfather, instead of a man still in his 30s today.

His Dharma books boosted his fame even further. Some of them, like "Chart Na Mai Khor Ma Kerd" (I shall not be born again) and "Nippan Mee Jing" (Nirvana exists), became bestsellers.

His PR team continued to churn out propaganda, such as that Luang Pu Nenkham was a direct disciple of Lord Buddha but had sinned in Heaven and was sent back to the mortal world, or that people who made merit with Luang Pu Nenkham could join him on his ascent back to Heaven.

Luang Pu Nenkham also made a similar claim in his sermons.

"In Lord Buddha's life, I was among his 400 disciples. All of my friends became arahant [one who has reached the highest stage of enlightenment]. Because I was the only one who had not yet attained that state, I was instructed to be born for one last time and in this life, I shall lead you all on the path to nirvana," he said.

Luang Pu Nenkham always chewed betel nuts before delivering his sermons. His voice sounded mature, yet charming and calm.

When he expressed a dream |to establish branches of Wat Pa Khanti Dhamma around the world, |his clergy were eager to donate.

When he came up with the idea of casting a giant Emerald Buddha statue, he also insisted a god had directed him to do so.

Luang Pu Nenkham's PR team has cleverly exploited online media to create an outstanding image for this young monk, who has a website under his name.

The website www.luangpunenkham.com is clearly well designed to promote Luang Pu Nenkham.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-07-12

• Like 2

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This article is frivolous, disarming and - ultimately - extremely alarming.

The monk is a criminal and yet the writer makes light of this fact.

'How did he manage to command their overwhelming respect and support? The answer might be as simple as a well-crafted marketing plan.'

I doubt that very much.

The next thing we will hear is that this poor, naive but well-intended monk has been a victim of circumstances, manipulated by a well-oiled marketing machine and brainwashed in to believing in his own transcendental divinity.

This guy set out to fleece the people from the beginning, knowing full well their susceptibility to the power and charisma of the personality cult, something which is - sadly - par for the course in Thailand.

The truth? He's a front for other, more powerful and influential people. Simple.

So, the Nation, let's find out who they are.

Eh, relax, or should I say sabai sabai........

There's a touch of Icarus about this guy, he's got too big for his boots and flown too close to the Sun.

At the end he's made far more people sceptical and I know Thais that are disgusted and horrified at his behaviour. Being sceptical is a good thing, it's a trait that should be encouraged in Thailand.

• Like 1

This same propaganda machine exists in ALL powerful families here,Nothing new ,watch the news at 8pm.

And in many similar people (richer than rich evangelists) in the US and other countries. Not just in Thailand.

• Like 1

This article is frivolous, disarming and - ultimately - extremely alarming.

The monk is a criminal and yet the writer makes light of this fact.

'How did he manage to command their overwhelming respect and support? The answer might be as simple as a well-crafted marketing plan.'

I doubt that very much.

The next thing we will hear is that this poor, naive but well-intended monk has been a victim of circumstances, manipulated by a well-oiled marketing machine and brainwashed in to believing in his own transcendental divinity.

This guy set out to fleece the people from the beginning, knowing full well their susceptibility to the power and charisma of the personality cult, something which is - sadly - par for the course in Thailand.

The truth? He's a front for other, more powerful and influential people. Simple.

So, the Nation, let's find out who they are.

Eh, relax, or should I say sabai sabai........

There's a touch of Icarus about this guy, he's got too big for his boots and flown too close to the Sun.

At the end he's made far more people sceptical and I know Thais that are disgusted and horrified at his behaviour. Being sceptical is a good thing, it's a trait that should be encouraged in Thailand.

I'm not up for a bun fight, but do you really believe he has acquired all this wealth on the basis of his divine personality alone?

• Like 1

Although I'd like to get somewhat scathing about Buddhism (in the way it is practiced here in Thailand) and the way people allow themselves to be manipulated, it's really no different to the millions that "contribute" to the more famous (Evangelical) "preachers" in the USA, and those people (supposedly) had a far better education than those here received.

I guess stupid, naive people are everywhere.

Touch the screen and you will be made well,and become rich and famous, that kind of thing? regards Worgeordie

In a lot of cases it's reasonably easy to predict who's going to get the short end of the stick - normally a middleman or scapegoat of some kind, while the bigtimers waltz away free men (often without so much as a mention of their name). But if the monk (use that term loosely) is indeed a front man for a group of ínfluentials' , the lines of responsibilty and guilt are going to very blurred here. One way or the other nerves will be touched.

• Like 1

we just see one small tip of the iceberg, a vivid yellow robe on the ice. there are many, unnamely many on another side of the iceberg, they are all having different types of MARKETING PLANS, no to mention those we don't able to see below the water line.

this is the culture of this wealth-prompting society here, nothing else I could say.

This didn't happen over night, dont tell me he never attracted attention about his ways before this, if he has his pockets full, so do many above him in the monk hood, his only mistake was getting busted, now there can be no doubt that this is a great slap in the face of Buddha and Buddhism, worse than drinking alcohol on lent! coffee1.gif

He got to the point that he believed, what he was preaching, "follow me and I will show you the way". He felt he was above those who supported him, those who used his services to launder their ill gotten gains, and even those who were there to keep him and those like him within the fold guidelines.

Somehow a little power, wealth, influence, etc seems to lead to self destruction, by those with a hidden self serving agenda. Another example, of which there are many, of give a dishonest man enough rope and he will hang himself.

LUANG PU NENKHAM

Scandal-hit monk seems to be a master of marketing

It all began many years ago when someone in his close circle reportedly took notice of people wondering why he looked much older in a photo than his true age, then decided to spread a story that he was born to liberate Buddhists from the chain of suffering.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-07-12

Little did they know he looked so old because of all the late nights up with under aged hookers and tons of booze and blow.
  • Like 2

How can there be a heaven when they believe in recycling reincarnation ?

It's pretty simple (indeed it is referenced in the OP): the belief is that one can eventually attain total enlightenment and be released from the cycle of suffering that is life.

No offense but It's like a really basic part of Buddhism. But even in this, the Thais sometimes have a somewhat different take on it than what the original Buddhist teachings suggest.

Although I'd like to get somewhat scathing about Buddhism (in the way it is practiced here in Thailand) and the way people allow themselves to be manipulated, it's really no different to the millions that "contribute" to the more famous (Evangelical) "preachers" in the USA, and those people (supposedly) had a far better education than those here received.

I guess stupid, naive people are everywhere.

Touch the screen and you will be made well,and become rich and famous, that kind of thing? regards Worgeordie

Yeah, kind of . . . it's this whole concept of "buying" your way into heaven by "donating" to these religions that I take issue with. Being a good person, doing good things, giving your time to help others (and not simply throwing cash at them) etc etc are all ways to improve your lot in this life and the next (if you believe in such things). Giving a religious figurehead cash just doesn't cut it for me and is more than a tad hypocritical.

• Like 2

Buying "merit' is a nearly perfect con. I have to wonder if the old Catholic concept of "indulgences" would work here. Could perhaps form a partnership with the BIB for those "kinkier" sins.

• Like 2