Whats this DTAC Trinet all about?

KRS1

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tri-NET is DTAC's new brand/subsidiary focused primarily on delivering mobile voice and data services on 2100 MHz 3G, with roaming/fall-back to 850 Mhz (3G) and/or 1800 MHz for GSM.

Yes, Tri-NET will offer services via both post-paid and pre-paid plans.

I'm not certain DTAC has formally launched Tri-NET, with some local rumors being this month (July) or next month (August).

I've been a DTAC customer for ~ 15 months, 12 months pre-paid then transitioned to post-paid. They have ~ 24 million customers here.

Their web-sites seem to be the most comprehensive, well-organized and informative of the three major local service providers - I also use TrueMove H pre-paid, and have some recent experience with AIS/2100 MHz 3G as well. DTAC also seems to have the best English-language versions of their web pages. They also have a decent Android app., and an excellent web-based account management (e-Services) interface.

I've had very good experience with DTAC, especially with their 3G service. I have registered for the Tri-NET service but have not yet received any details on a potential transition. You may/will have to register (name, passport) in order to transition to Tri-NET as an existing DTAC customer, I think this is mandated by the NBTC. I think if you transition to the Tri-NET service you should be able to roam/fall-back to 1800 MHz for GSM/2G and/or 850 MHz for 3G in those areas where DTAC does not currently have 2100 MHz. DTAC does have the most total spectrum here, and their 850 and 1800 MHz concessions run until 2018. They will also have the options to deploy LTE on 1800 MHz or 2100 MHz.

The DTAC Tri-NET 2100 MHz network might show up as "52005" if you are scanning for nearby networks.

Existing, long-time DTAC customers may need a new SIM to access the Tri-NET network.

Depending on your equipment, location(s), budget, requirements DTAC/Happy/Tri-NET might represent a viable option. I'd certainly recommend at least experimenting with a pre-aid SIM (50 baht) and a daily (49 baht) or weekly (199 baht) plan if you might be looking for a new or replacement service provider.

Follow-up: The Tri-NET/52005 network is up and running in some areas and DTAC employees have been using it for a few months. I think the plan is to transition primarily post-paid customers initially, based on some public comments by management. New post-paid and pre-paid customers, as of now/today/the next 4 weeks, might be Tri-NET customers. New pre-paid customers might have to buy a new Tri-NET-branded SIM

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/trinet/

DTAC speedtest: Bangkok/Wireless Road:

post-9615-0-21882700-1373720912_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo

I have had issues with toping up with International credit cards 2 numbers in Thailand and what a debacle that is with DTAC. Their web site engish in my opinion is attrocious.

I have used their call centre and that also is attrocious.

I have had issues with toping up with International credit cards 2 numbers in Thailand and what a debacle that is with DTAC. Their web site engish in my opinion is attrocious.

60 odd years, don't think I have heard that word........... so looked it up, still at a loss ?? maybe I woke up to early ?

attrocious = 1. extremely cruel or wicked; ruthless atrocious deeds

2. horrifying or shocking an atrocious road accident

Sh*t happens, But God bless. DTAC services are extremely foreigner-friendly. Using them 5 years already. International credit cards... don't know really, why not use Thai credit card?

I've been a DTAC customer for ~ 15 months, 12 months pre-paid then transitioned to post-paid. They have ~ 24 million customers here.

Their web-sites seem to be the most comprehensive, well-organized and informative of the three major local service providers - I also use TrueMove H pre-paid, and have some recent experience with AIS/2100 MHz 3G as well. DTAC also seems to have the best English-language versions of their web pages. They also have a decent Android app., and an excellent web-based account management (e-Services) interface.

I've had very good experience with DTAC, especially with their 3G service. I have registered for the Tri-NET service but have not yet received any details on a potential transition. You may/will have to register (name, passport) in order to transition to Tri-NET as an existing DTAC customer, I think this is mandated by the NBTC. I think if you transition to the Tri-NET service you should be able to roam/fall-back to 1800 MHz for GSM/2G and/or 850 MHz for 3G in those areas where DTAC does not currently have 2100 MHz. DTAC does have the most total spectrum here, and their 850 and 1800 MHz concessions run until 2018. They will also have the options to deploy LTE on 1800 MHz or 2100 MHz.

The DTAC Tri-NET 2100 MHz network might show up as "52005" if you are scanning for nearby networks.

Existing, long-time DTAC customers may need a new SIM to access the Tri-NET network.

Depending on your equipment, location(s), budget, requirements DTAC/Happy/Tri-NET might represent a viable option. I'd certainly recommend at least experimenting with a pre-aid SIM (50 baht) and a daily (49 baht) or weekly (199 baht) plan if you might be looking for a new or replacement service provider.

Follow-up: The Tri-NET/52005 network is up and running in some areas and DTAC employees have been using it for a few months. I think the plan is to transition primarily post-paid customers initially, based on some public comments by management. New post-paid and pre-paid customers, as of now/today/the next 4 weeks, might be Tri-NET customers. New pre-paid customers might have to buy a new Tri-NET-branded SIM

24 million customers in thailand thats has to be more then 50% of all thai cell phone users. Amazing i dont know one person that uses dtac.

60 odd years, don't think I have heard that word........... so looked it up, still at a loss ?? maybe I woke up to early ?

attrocious = 1. extremely cruel or wicked; ruthless atrocious deeds

2. horrifying or shocking an atrocious road accident

Definition: outrageous; widely condemned

Synonyms: awful, bad

Taken from Roget's Thesaurus

Edited by lucifer666

Every time I asked DTAC about it they push the date back. Last I heard was end July. I have no idea why they (and True) are so heavily marketing a service that doesn't exist yet. TIT.

I'm interested as I currently have a Korean phone that only does 1800/2100 so no 3G on 850 which is most common in Thailand.

I mostly use iMobile which is 2100 on TOT's network. No plans, just a straight 100B/500mb, and every time you put 100B into it it pushes the expiration date out by a month. So if you put in 1,200B you get 6GB and a year to use it, as far as I can figure out. Great for light users or people popping in and out of Thailand.

Coverage is not as good as True or DTAC but it's a lot better than I expected, when I bought the SIM they said it would only work in Bangkok but it has been working in most places up the north too. The downside is NO fallback to 2G, so if you're in a rural area with no TOT 2100 you have no coverage whatsoever. It works anywhere even halfway sizable though and much of the countryside in between. Only doesn't work in very small towns.

Typical speeds are around 5mbps, faster than I've ever got from True or DTAC.

24 million customers in thailand thats has to be more then 50% of all thai cell phone users. Amazing i dont know one person that uses dtac.

Note that penetration rates here exceed 100% - more SIMs than citizens-, which is easy to comprehend when you think about all the people who have multiple SIM/numbers - I have active, current SIMs from DTAC, TrueMove H and AIS/2100. So 24 million customers is relatively easy to accept. AIS has ~ 34 million customers, TrueMove has 18 million and TrueMove H has 3 million.

Amazingly, of my friends, colleagues and neighbors I don't know anyone using TrueMove, but I do know many using AIS, DTAC and a few using TrueMove H.

Note that TrueMove's concession is due to expire on 15 Sep. 2013.

Obviously, you have some self serving interest here. Sounds more like an advertizement.

Obviously, you have some self serving interest here. Sounds more like an advertizement.

No. It's just information.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

I have used Dtac for about 7 years. For years they had the best network coverage and fastest Edge connection and I have had True 3H for about 2 years. I am disappointed that Dtac haven't increased 3G to a wider audience quicker. But I know why.

True have expanded aggressively but seemingly to date have made no profit. True 3H has been OK but still only in the 3-4 mb download area. My True 3H is now starting to slow down due to increased users.

Hopefully next week will add on a Dtac internet package and see how it goes.

It's all relative to the needs of the end user IMO. The wonderful thing about prepay is, if you don't like it, don't use it! I look forward to switching from TrueMoveH to DTAC. I'm optimistic that TriNet will be a better DTAC, but time will only tell. I'm also considering giving AIS a go. As crazy as all these telecom companies can be, it sure beats the heck out of being burnt into a Verizon or AT&T contract back home.

Apologies if my desire to share experiences and information comes across as "self-serving".

I do realize that anything short of flippant, insulting, slagging-off responses is typically interpreted as less than believable here on ThaiVisa, so how's this, "DTAC sucks". Is that better?

For the record I am not affiliated in any way with DTAC, I was an AIS customer for ~ 8 years and I typically recommend CAT/TrueMove H as the first option for those who want 3G. CAT (TrueMove H) have the broadest coverage and the fewest customers so it is the obvious choice for a recommendation.

Yes - I have long suspected this. Last time I remember "arguably the best 3G network" about 9 months back. No basis, straight from Eddy's marketing propaganda

Yes - I have long suspected this. Last time I remember "arguably the best 3G network" about 9 months back. No basis, straight from Eddy's marketing propaganda

But then you Skippy do have a pathological hatred of all things Dtac.

:)

Been DTAC post paid for 14Years 4Months 13Days. While they might not be great, they are IMO better than any of the others. A lot of my friends who were AIS or TRUE have now changed to DTAC and are happy that they did so.

Just after 2100MHZ 3G network licenses were issued (May 2013) I contacted DTAC and registered for the new service (TRINET) and was informed that it would be available end of June in Pattaya. It is now mid July and I just did a network search and found no sign of 52005. 52003 (AIS 2100MHz) does show but I'll not be changing. I can wait.

Every time I asked DTAC about it they push the date back. Last I heard was end July. I have no idea why they (and True) are so heavily marketing a service that doesn't exist yet. TIT.

I'm interested as I currently have a Korean phone that only does 1800/2100 so no 3G on 850 which is most common in Thailand.

I mostly use iMobile which is 2100 on TOT's network. No plans, just a straight 100B/500mb, and every time you put 100B into it it pushes the expiration date out by a month. So if you put in 1,200B you get 6GB and a year to use it, as far as I can figure out. Great for light users or people popping in and out of Thailand.

Coverage is not as good as True or DTAC but it's a lot better than I expected, when I bought the SIM they said it would only work in Bangkok but it has been working in most places up the north too. The downside is NO fallback to 2G, so if you're in a rural area with no TOT 2100 you have no coverage whatsoever. It works anywhere even halfway sizable though and much of the countryside in between. Only doesn't work in very small towns.

Typical speeds are around 5mbps, faster than I've ever got from True or DTAC.

Anyone else using 3gX I-mobile http://www.i-mobile3gx.com/main/3gx_prepaid1.php ?

Looks interesting in terms of price, per allowance

so if u top up 100, u get 500mb, and 100 credit for calls ??

Anyone knows how it performs in Pattaya area ? / Jomtien ?

Hard to get that sim in Pattaya...