KRS1

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I just found this long thread and have a question

My new and first "smatphone" is samsung gt-s7580 and it does not support 850 mhz with 3g as i have learnt now it should with DTAC. Only 900 and 2100 mhz

I have had thai number (registered prepaid) from DTAC at least 7 years and i do not want to change numbers but i would like to have more mobile internet speed when i am in Thailand.

In Thailand i live in jomtien, Pattaya. Is it worth for me to register/look into closer to this "trinet"-system?

Thanks for any input. smile.png

I

Edited by thaitero

One of the Trinet frequencies is 2100Mhz frequency which your phone uses. But without access to 850Mhz also your 3G coverage/speed will probably be poor or nonexistent in some areas. I live in western Bangkok and I've on DTAC Trinet and out of curiosity when I switched to Trinet I use to check the frequency I was connected to quite a bit just to see which 3G frequency I was hooked to...850 or 2100...it all depended on my location at the time. You should be able to check which frequency you are connected to by dialing *#0011# which should pull up a service menu showing the frequency plus other metrics.

Your phone should pull up a service mode window and several lines down you should see the frequency...I just did it here at my home and mine says "WCDMA 850 Band 5" which means it connected to a 850Mhz DTAC radio/tower right now...I might go a half kilometer down the road and it could switch to a 2100Mhz radio/tower. 2100Mhz seems to be focused more towards high population areas and the 850Mhz toward rural area since 850Mhz has great range & building penetrating capability.

Now I live in western Bangkok and it's not a rural area but it's not a high-rise buildings area either...at times here at home I've noticed I'm connected to the 2100Mhz radio/tower some...which frequency your phone connects to is a combination power level and other cell phone-to-cell tower negotiation factors. In fact when I was really checking which frequency I was connected to sometimes I could walk upstairs in my house, stand next to a window, dial *#0011# and see I was connected to 2100Mhz because at a higher level in the house and next to the windows apparently the 2100Mhz signal was stronger than the 850Mhz I was connected to when downstairs....downstairs which had more concrete walls for the signal to fight through and the 850Mhz signal won that wall penetration contest. But it seems in my home area I'm usually connected to 850Mhz...same thing when I go visit the mother-in-law out in the province/jungle.

In that same service menu in one of the lines near the bottom you can also see signal strength level...like -78, -82, -90,etc., since we are dealing with a "minus" dbm level here a lower number is a stronger signal...-78 is stronger than a -82, etc.

Thanks for reply..thumbsup.gif

My phone do support 850/900/1800/1900 mhz but only with edge/gprs.

HSPA+ supports 900/2100 mhz. I am not sure what that HSPA is but i quess it means 3 g

I am in jomtien now and have now somekind of internet packace and i can read email and look some news etc but speed is low. My phone shows E so i guess it means "edge"

This 2100 mhz is only for "trinet customers" i quess ?

I did dial *#0011# and i saw all kind of numbers and text i did not understand at all. None of the numbers in my opinion was not showing frequency.rolleyes.gif

Thanks for reply..thumbsup.gif

My phone do support 850/900/1800/1900 mhz but only with edge/gprs.

HSPA+ supports 900/2100 mhz. I am not sure what that HSPA is but i quess it means 3 g

I am in jomtien now and have now somekind of internet packace and i can read email and look some news etc but speed is low. My phone shows E so i guess it means "edge"

This 2100 mhz is only for "trinet customers" i quess ?

I did dial *#0011# and i saw all kind of numbers and text i did not understand at all. None of the numbers in my opinion was not showing frequency.rolleyes.gif

Expect you are just making an 2G Edge connection at 1800Mhz. Your internet connection speed will be in the 120Khz to 384Khz range...most likely around 200Khz.

Expect you are just making an 2G Edge connection at 1800Mhz. Your internet connection speed will be in the 120Khz to 384Khz range...most likely around 200Khz.

k Hz or Bits ?

Yea, Bits...had Hertz on the brain. 120Kb to 384Kb.

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

The latest base-station figures for DTAC I've seen are 10,700 GSM/1800, 5,300/3G-850 and 5,200/3G-2100; which matches up well with the market

I'm interested as I currently have a European phone that only does 900/2100 so no 3G on 850 which is most common in Thailand. Because of that, i used AIS in the last 3 holidays, but this SIM expires fast and a have to have a new number every year.

the coverage map of DTACs 3G has no distinction between 2100 and 850 MHz. so, does anybody know, how many percent of the 3G base-station are ready for 2100Mhz now?