Toshiba TV Not Working

NBD

It's a Regza 40PB10T if that means anything. Bought it at the start of 2012 and it's been ok up until recently.

Now the light comes on but the screen doesn't. I just tried it this morning for the first time in a week and it worked briefly then faded off again.

Toshiba Thailand are useless and guessed by phone that the power supply needed replacing at nearly 5000THB which seems a bit excessive for a 12k TV.

The local electrical shop is more geared up for valves and gramaphones... anyone else had this problem and any ideas on how to fix it?

Sounds like one of the circuit boards has given up the ghost. Similar thing happened to me earlier this year (Samsung HD). I had originally thought it may be overheating as we normally only use the aircon at night, so we gave it it's own fan, cooling the back. Worked for a while intermittently but got gradually worse.

Called one of the local Thai electrical guys and he identified the problem in two minutes. Repair costs were about 2-3 thousand and it has worked great since then.

The TV above was about 4 years old, but faulty parts are faulty parts and can happen anytime................wink.png

Strad

You're the second person to say that. I'd have thought of Toshiba as more of a quality brand than Samsung previously.

I guess most of the parts come from the same factory in China anyway.

I have come to the conclusion that there exists a different level of quality, unseen but there, that is a part of planned obsolescence for products being sold in LOS. Everything I buy here, brand for brand, does not last as long, nor perform as well as what I buy back in the States.

Thais do not complain. They just go out and buy another. There is no incentive, especially financial, to build a better product.

The few times I have tried to get an independent shop to repair (like the Pioneer DVD Player that lasted 15 months) their charges were at least 60 or 70% of a new one.

I was loyal to Pioneer since the 70s in the States. Here, I won't touch it again.

I have come to the conclusion that there exists a different level of quality, unseen but there, that is a part of planned obsolescence for products being sold in LOS. Everything I buy here, brand for brand, does not last as long, nor perform as well as what I buy back in the States.

Thais do not complain. They just go out and buy another. There is no incentive, especially financial, to build a better product.

The few times I have tried to get an independent shop to repair (like the Pioneer DVD Player that lasted 15 months) their charges were at least 60 or 70% of a new one.

I was loyal to Pioneer since the 70s in the States. Here, I won't touch it again.

You may consider the possibility that the power here is dirtier than it is back home.

Spikes and surges take their toll.

On the other hand, it seems a lot of the names we grew up with (my first stereo was a Pioneer Quadrophonic) have sold out to the urge to continuously take cost out of the product, all the while hoping some kind of nostalgia will keep them in business.

You may consider the possibility that the power here is dirtier than it is back home.

Spikes and surges take their toll.

On the other hand, it seems a lot of the names we grew up with (my first stereo was a Pioneer Quadrophonic) have sold out to the urge to continuously take cost out of the product, all the while hoping some kind of nostalgia will keep them in business.

I agree.

I have a Samsung 42". The power supplky went "tits up" during a thunderstorm. I took it to a qualified repair shop 100 kilometers from were I live in the sticks. Cost me a wapping 600 baht. They were able to repair the old power supply not replace it. 5000 baht seems a little excesive even if they don't intend to try to repair it, only replace it.

Got the power supply replaced in the end for a not inconsiderable 2,500 THB.

I suspect power spikes, and perhaps the humidity here takes it's toll on electrical things.

Now the VGA isn't working either, but that would be another 3,500 THB to replace the main board, and everything else works so i'll just lump it for now.

Won't be buying another Toshiba though!