Caught with cannabis

Benni81

Hi everyone ,, here is the update on my case, after long 40 days its finally finished. Today I had my 3rd visit at the court house, it's finished. Today a long day at the court house, I had my trial and got my sentence, I accepted the charges for 5grams weed and I got fined 5000 baht, I got a jail sentence but cuz I paid the fined I don't have to spend one day in jail. And I got told at first that my passport was going to be handled to the migration centre, but after many hours of waiting and talking, they gave me my passport and told me that it's not going to be any further porblems, I got told that I can leave when my visa runs out and that I'm welcome back to thailand when ever I want. And I'm getting my 15000 baht that I paid for bail, get it tomorrow, I did not have any lawyer, got in contact with a few but just seem to be a waist, I'm lucky and happy right now. I made sure all the cops and generals got sangsom whiskey and some thai lottery tickets:) they all love me and I'm happy for the turn out, could be much worse, time to kick. Back and enjoy the rest of my holidays. Thanks to everyone that told there story and made a bit clearer for me. Once again thanks and stay safe travelles

Good news. Glad it all worked out ok for you.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone ,, here is the update on my case, after long 40 days its finally finished. Today I had my 3rd visit at the court house, it's finished. Today a long day at the court house, I had my trial and got my sentence, I accepted the charges for 5grams weed and I got fined 5000 baht, I got a jail sentence but cuz I paid the fined I don't have to spend one day in jail. And I got told at first that my passport was going to be handled to the migration centre, but after many hours of waiting and talking, they gave me my passport and told me that it's not going to be any further porblems, I got told that I can leave when my visa runs out and that I'm welcome back to thailand when ever I want. And I'm getting my 15000 baht that I paid for bail, get it tomorrow, I did not have any lawyer, got in contact with a few but just seem to be a waist, I'm lucky and happy right now. I made sure all the cops and generals got sangsom whiskey and some thai lottery tickets:) they all love me and I'm happy for the turn out, could be much worse, time to kick. Back and enjoy the rest of my holidays. Thanks to everyone that told there story and made a bit clearer for me. Once again thanks and stay safe travelles

Glad it worked out.

Hope there is not a next time. I somehow do not think there will be. Enjoy the rest of your stays here.

Thanks for getting back to us and letting us know.

It seems that the court isn't as greedy as the police since they'll usually go after a lot more. I guess it's just a matter of deciding if one wants to deprive the BIB of their tea money and go through the hassle of the legal process or take care of it quickly by giving the boys at the scene a quick remedy payoff.

• Like 1

Thanks for getting back to us and letting us know.

It seems that the court isn't as greedy as the police since they'll usually go after a lot more. I guess it's just a matter of deciding if one wants to deprive the BIB of their tea money and go through the hassle of the legal process or take care of it quickly by giving the boys at the scene a quick remedy payoff.

My guess is that the court took into account the way the OP seems to have been going about things correctly and taking the matter with the degree of seriousness it deserved. May not have been the same reaction if someone had just turned up in court in hippie beads and telling the police and judges it was just a bit of weed and should be legal anyway.

Edited by harrry

A hefty fine and deportation.

The fine could be any amount and not able to pay or buy himself out, will result in a long stay at a Thai stink hole prison, where even the rats and flies avoid due to the extreme foul hygiene conditions.

Whatever, the OP`s days are numbered in Thailand or maybe turned into a living hell.

Hope he has a bottomless pit of cash at hand and a darned good lawyer who won`t be cheap?

How can you be so sure of your assessment of the situation when others seem to be convinced that this guy/gal will get off lightly with a roughly Baht20.000 fine? I am asking not to argue the point of course, but to know the reasoning behind your conviction.

And not to rub salt in the wound here but I wonder how anyone could be so lacking in "awareness about possible consequences" that they might use these illicit drugs in Thailand, even though I know a certain percentage do this.

40 years ago in Thailand, I never worried about having a Taxi driver find a bit of green grass along the roadside, not from my lawn, to smoke up a storm until I did not know where the Taxi was headed, and did not care, but these days I think I would need to be even more cracked than I am to smoke what the OP might have been smoking.

So why your conviction that you are more right about the OP's upcoming conviction and incarceration?

I think this might be interesting to hear.

Thanks!!

Firstly the OP is not a poor Thai.

Step one foot wrong in Thailand and the farang becomes ripe for exploitation. The police, prosecutors and the lawyers will try to milk him dry, using fear tactics and the full force of the legal process to make him cough up whatever they can get either from the OP or from his family.

The police here have draconian powers and are more or less given a free hand to deal with offenders as they see fit. I have given the worst scenario of what could possibly happen, and now the OP`s future in Thailand is all based on a hope and a prayer.

Whatever which way, the OP is not going to get out of this lightly. One way or another it`s going to cost him.

The OP alleges that he only had 3.30 grams of weed and 2 grams of mix tobacco and weed. Fine, but how much has this 3.30 grams of weed actually cost him or is going to cost him in real terms?

As I have said many times in the past and keep on saying; abide by the laws of Thailand and enjoy your stay and live in peace here, as many of us do.

Sorry to sound so harsh, this is nothing personal against anyone, I am telling it as it is. Be warned by the mistakes of others.

Yeah, you do sound on the harsh side to me.

I believe he realizes he goofed up.

The lad only sought advice.

Seems there was no need for your doom and gloom afterall..

"Hi everyone ,, here is the update on my case, after long 40 days its finally finished. Today I had my 3rd visit at the court house, it's finished. Today a long day at the court house, I had my trial and got my sentence, I accepted the charges for 5grams weed and I got fined 5000 baht, I got a jail sentence but cuz I paid the fined I don't have to spend one day in jail. And I got told at first that my passport was going to be handled to the migration centre, but after many hours of waiting and talking, they gave me my passport and told me that it's not going to be any further porblems, I got told that I can leave when my visa runs out and that I'm welcome back to thailand when ever I want. And I'm getting my 15000 baht that I paid for bail, get it tomorrow, I did not have any lawyer, got in contact with a few but just seem to be a waist, I'm lucky and happy right now. I made sure all the cops and generals got sangsom whiskey and some thai lottery tickets:) they all love me and I'm happy for the turn out, could be much worse, time to kick. Back and enjoy the rest of my holidays. Thanks to everyone that told there story and made a bit clearer for me. Once again thanks and stay safe travelles"
Edited by watcharacters

Hi I'm a first time offender in Thailand , currently staying in mae hong son, I got caught for a few days a ago with 5 grams of cannabis in my pocket, I'm waiting for my court day, and I had to pay 15000 baht in bail. Am going to get deported from Thailand, or am going to have to go to prison. Maybe anyone knows a good lawyer around mae hong son are or changmai. Thanks for any reply

For 5gr you are not going to go to prison.

Its difficult to foresee what's going to happen but chances are you will need fo pay a fat fine then you will be deported and might end up their black list.

Sent from one of my devices using the internet

Happy for you !

And next time have fun in Laos, not in Thailand :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Happy for you !

Lucky man. Surely that means that the jail sentence was suspended but would have been imposed if he declined to pay the fine.

Do you mean this stuff is OK in Laos? I thought they were even tougher on drugs there. Cambodia started arresting people smoking in public in Siem Reap and restaurant and guest house owners selling marijuana to tourists this year.

Happy for you !

Lucky man. Surely that means that the jail sentence was suspended but would have been imposed if he declined to pay the fine.

Do you mean this stuff is OK in Laos? I thought they were even tougher on drugs there. Cambodia started arresting people smoking in public in Siem Reap and restaurant and guest house owners selling marijuana to tourists this year.

I suggest you avoid SE Asia for this activity and try Amsterdam instead.

begs the question when and if it will be decriminalized here and why not besides the fact that it is a money making enterprise keeping it illegal

some places are catching on but slowly

if you talk to most thais about it

you can see how demonized the education/media has made it

most thais think it is in the same class as ya ba and other hard drugs

I know people who got caught with Cocaine and where forced to withdraw 30.000 baht in cash from a nearby ATM. So 5g of Cannabis should not be a big issue. Try to find an "understanding" with the police office who busted you.

Fast!!!!

Pretty cheap that. Someone i know got busted with just under a gram of H and paid 60,000 and still went to court. By the time it got to court the weight was considerably less. He ended up with a 2 year suspended sentence and was allowed to stay in the country. He did have a nice understanding with the police and they were nice enough to give him a joint laced with the <deleted> just before they drug tested him!!!

Lol, so here we have it, somewhat proof that Thailand is indeed a country of law and that all the typical fear mongers are as usual just peddling barstool information. If one were to actually listen to these barstool experts, I have no doubt your time in Thailand would be difficult.

begs the question when and if it will be decriminalized here and why not besides the fact that it is a money making enterprise keeping it illegal

some places are catching on but slowly

if you talk to most thais about it

you can see how demonized the education/media has made it

most thais think it is in the same class as ya ba and other hard drugs

Thai also think that it's ok to drive drunk or to be on motorcycle without helmet :-)

• Like 1