Lite Beer

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW
Post was not a reward: Chaikasem
Budsarakham Sinlapalavan,
Opas Boonlom
The Nation on Sunday

30210362-01_big.jpg
Chaikasem

BANGKOK: -- New justice minister rejects claims he will push amnesty plan for Thaksin

Chaikasem Nitisiri, the new justice minister, rejects claims that his appointment to Cabinet is a reward for helping ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra with his legal problems, when Chaikasem was attorney-general. He says his selection was due mainly to his experience and expertise.

Chaikasem said he was as surprised as others when he was approached by Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra to take up the Justice portfolio.

"I am not close to the prime minister personally. I was as surprised as you were when learning about my appointment," he said.

The minister told The Nation he discussed the appointment with his wife after talking to the prime minister.

"This will be the last chance in my life and I want to do something for the country," he said. "I am not the best public prosecutor, but I believe that I am better than many others. This will be my last job - there won't be another after this."

Chaikasem insisted that "with 1,000 per cent certainty" he was appointed as minister because of his qualities. "If I were appointed as Transport minister, then there would be more reason to suspect it was a political reward," he said.

The new minister dismissed claims that while serving as the attorney general, he helped Thaksin get out of legal trouble.

"I indicted him in some cases and decided not to pursue some against him. If I had wanted to help him, I could have dropped all the cases against him," he said.

Chaikasem added that claims he was "Thaksin's man" almost stopped him from becoming attorney general in 2007 after the military coup in 2006.

He said before Yingluck approached him, she discussed the matter with others in the ruling Pheu Thai Party, and they had agreed he was the most suitable to bring the country's laws up to international standard - ready for the ASEAN Economic Community in two years time.

His first priority would be to overhaul the Public Sector Anti-Corruption Commission (PACC). He said the agency had failed to do its job in the eyes of the public, despite the government's anti-corruption policy. His proposed changes would give more power to the PACC secretary-general in order to help improve the agency's efficiency.

Another priority was changes to the Corrections Department. He has a plan to move some prisons, including Klong Prem, out of Bangkok to a new location - possibly in neighbouring Pathum Thani province.

He will also encourage prisons to implement a pilot project that allows private companies to run corrections facilities. This happens already in other countries, but the Thai public would be sounded out first to see if they support the idea, the Justice minister said.

Chaikasem also defended the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) against allegations that many cases it handles are politically motivated.

He said the DSI dealt with all sorts of cases - some of which were against politicians - and that had led to a perception that many were political. "All cases must first depend on evidence and facts. It's the courts that make the final judgement," he said.

In regard to Thaksin's legal problems, the minister said the former premier had never asked him for help to seek an amnesty. Chaikasem said he would make a decision in accordance with existing regulations on whether to forward an amnesty request to the relevant authorities. However, he was unsure if a petition for a royal pardon had been filed for Thaksin.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-07-14

I see he managed to give a mention about a royal pardon for his boss.

He did say he wasn't much of a prosecutor but surely he knows a convicted criminal has to serve some time before they can be pardoned.

And doesn't it also mean an acceptance that Thaksin IS a criminal. Does a pardon whitewash, or just nullify the sentence?
  • Like 1

Would be more of a story if he admitted it was.

Now, are there some decent topics lying around, just waiting for my input?

Was this statement just put out there or in response to " intense " questioning by the media ?

Me thinks the lady... etc.

• Like 1

He did say he wasn't much of a prosecutor but surely he knows a convicted criminal has to serve some time before they can be pardoned.

And doesn't it also mean an acceptance that Thaksin IS a criminal. Does a pardon whitewash, or just nullify the sentence?

Rhetorical Question - " do Thai officials ever think before opening their mouths ? "

Anything to do with this administration would be done as a pay off, nothing in this climate of buddies and mates will you find anything less and for Chaikasem to say he is not close to the Prime Minister could possibly be correct , however other connections with- in the PTP are sufficient to carry enough weight to warrant a promotion , whether capable or not, this is not an issue.bah.gif

To lend credibility to his claims and to dissipate allegations he earned his position solely due to his "qualities, expertise and experience" and not because he's seen as "Thaksin's man", he should have declared that his first act in office would be to start working on an extradition request for the fugitive convicted criminal in order to bring him back and finally face the music.

Instead he simply did what seems to be all too common among our politicians: Deny any connections and talk yourself out by offering wishy-washy explanations about wanting "to do something for the country" and being "1.000 per cent certain" about his qualities.

I think a pardon makes the whole thing disappear. Not sure...Anyone know about this?

I think a pardon makes the whole thing disappear. Not sure...Anyone know about this?

Criminals convicted and serving their prison terms can received a Royal pardon or a reduction of remaining prison term. K. Thaksin is a convicted person, therefore a criminal, he jumped his bail which I assume is also an offence. This suggests Thaksin doesn't fit requirements which make a pardon possible.

Of course there are also a few more cases which cannot proceed as at least for the first parts the accused needs to to present.

• Like 1

I really like theNation's English. Sometimes I really wonder what a politician really said. might it be

"This will be my last job - there won't be another MoJ after this."" rolleyes.gif

To qualify for a Royal Pardon, he must admit guild and serve part of his sentence. If Dr. Thaksin did this, he would be unqualified to serve in government. He needs 'blanket' amnesty to cover the entire period up to when he 'self-exiled' himself or he will be in court until his dying day.

His true desire, no matter what he says and from all evidence I have read, is to emulate his good friends Hun Sen and Robert Mugabe and become President-for-Life. Som nom na!

• Like 1

Well Yingluck was honest about the whole thing.

She never said she was looking for the most qualified person to fill a post. Just one that was suitable.

Chaikasem Nitisiri say's

"I am not the best public prosecutor"

I rest my case.

• Like 1

Criminals convicted and serving their prison terms can received a Royal pardon or a reduction of remaining prison term. K. Thaksin is a convicted person, therefore a criminal, he jumped his bail which I assume is also an offence. This suggests Thaksin doesn't fit requirements which make a pardon possible.

Of course there are also a few more cases which cannot proceed as at least for the first parts the accused needs to to present.

I understood he was allowed bail on the basis of "I promise I won't jump bail".

Perhaps we just need to hear his "honest guv, I'm innocent of everything I'm accused of", so the legal system doesn't have to concern itself.

What is this man on?

I read the headline:

"Post was not a reward"

And the next content line: ..........

"BANGKOK: -- New justice minister rejects claims he will push amnesty plan for Thaksin"

And that was the quickest Topic ever, that explained everything,with no further need to read on!