Ugly American Needs Hand Held

For the sake of brevity-just the facts: My visa expires while I am visiting family in USA next month. When I return (now no longer employed in Bkk) I would like to stay at least another year while I enroll in Thai language courses, TOEFL classes, etc... What is my best visa option? Do I visit my Thai consulate/embassy while in N.Y.? What type of visa would keep me here for another year without my having to work full-time & with a minumum # of border runs? Thanks SO much...Kevin

The only way I know to get a one year visa without working is to is to either come here with the intention of retiring or as a student. I'm going to assume for this post that you are not eligible for retirement as yet.

And, although I haven't done any research on student visas for a while, as I recall your visa will only be valid as long as the school program lasts. So if you want to go the student route, you might want to apply for a two year program at a university (many offer programs in English), and go to TOEFL school and/or language school on the side. You will pay by the term, so you could leave at any time. I recommend checking out the student visa information with a Thai Embassy or consulate in the USA. See section iii. on this web site. http://www.thai-la.net/visa/non-im.htm

Non-Immigrant Visas

III. For the purpose of teaching and studying in Thailand, the following applies:

1. For teaching and studying in private schools or private colleges, the applicant must receive approval from the Ministry of Education or the Ministry of University Affairs, this means that the institution must first apply for approval of the applicant as a foreign teacher or student through the Office of the Private Education Commission at the Ministry of Education in Thailand (in Bangkok) or the Ministry of University Affairs or in the case of up-country institutions apply through the District Office or the Province Office. When the applicant has been approved by the above-mentioned offices, the school or college would then send the approval document to the applicant and to the Consulate for consideration in issuing the visa.

2. For teaching and studying at a government school or government university, the applicant must receive approval from the Ministry of Education/Ministry of University Affairs or the University's administration. When the applicant is approved by the Ministry of Education/Ministry of University Affairs or the University's administration, the school or college would then send the approval document to the applicant and to the Consulate for consideration in issuing the visa.

Here's a list of Thai embassies and consulates in the USA:

http://www.thaiembdc.org/directry/direc_e.htm or here

http://www.embassyworld.com/embassy/inside_usa_t.htm

If you want, I can look into some universities if you contact me at [email protected] (I completed programs at two of them).

One note of caution - you will have to get a letter of acceptance from the school before you come here to enroll to facilitate the visa process.

The only way I know to get a one year visa without working is to is to either come here with the intention of retiring or as a student. I'm going to assume for this post that you are not eligible for retirement as yet.

And, although I haven't done any research on student visas for a while, as I recall your visa will only be valid as long as the school program lasts. So if you want to go the student route, you might want to apply for a two year program at a university (many offer programs in English), and go to TOEFL school and/or language school on the side. You will pay by the term, so you could leave at any time. I recommend checking out the student visa information with a Thai Embassy or consulate in the USA. See section iii. on this web site. http://www.thai-la.net/visa/non-im.htm

Non-Immigrant Visas

III. For the purpose of teaching and studying in Thailand, the following applies:

1. For teaching and studying in private schools or private colleges, the applicant must receive approval from the Ministry of Education or the Ministry of University Affairs, this means that the institution must first apply for approval of the applicant as a foreign teacher or student through the Office of the Private Education Commission at the Ministry of Education in Thailand (in Bangkok) or the Ministry of University Affairs or in the case of up-country institutions apply through the District Office or the Province Office. When the applicant has been approved by the above-mentioned offices, the school or college would then send the approval document to the applicant and to the Consulate for consideration in issuing the visa.

2. For teaching and studying at a government school or government university, the applicant must receive approval from the Ministry of Education/Ministry of University Affairs or the University's administration. When the applicant is approved by the Ministry of Education/Ministry of University Affairs or the University's administration, the school or college would then send the approval document to the applicant and to the Consulate for consideration in issuing the visa.

Here's a list of Thai embassies and consulates in the USA:

http://www.thaiembdc.org/directry/direc_e.htm or here

http://www.embassyworld.com/embassy/inside_usa_t.htm

If you want, I can look into some universities if you contact me at [email protected] (I completed programs at two of them).

One note of caution - you will have to get a letter of acceptance from the school before you come here to enroll to facilitate the visa process.

My visa expires while I am visiting family in USA next month
unless its a multi entry it expires the second you are stamped out of thailand
When I return (now no longer employed in Bkk) I would like to stay at least another year while I enroll in Thai language courses, TOEFL classes, etc... What is my best visa option?

there is a Non-Immigrant Visa "ED" Thailand but you need an acceptance letter from a Thai School or university and is only valid for 90 days.

What is my best visa option? Do I visit my Thai consulate/embassy while in N.Y.? What type of visa would keep me here for another year without my having to work full-time & with a minumum # of border runs?

some on this forum recommend applying to the thai consulate in houston, texas . "you miss your girlfriend/fiance in thailand and need to go see her and consider marriage".

maybe someone else can add to this with more info on the "tilac visa"

For the sake of brevity-just the facts: My visa expires while I am visiting family in USA next month. When I return (now no longer employed in Bkk) I would like to stay at least another year while I enroll in Thai language courses, TOEFL classes, etc... What is my best visa option? Do I visit my Thai consulate/embassy while in N.Y.? What type of visa would keep me here for another year without my having to work full-time & with a minumum # of border runs? Thanks SO much...Kevin

Are you 50 years old Kev ?