Warning For Pattaya Residents Or Visitors

wilson steer

On 14th of February this year a free air-con bus service started in Pattaya, the route being, basically down Beach Road and then up Second Road to the Dolphin roundabout.

It sounds great but the Baht Bus drivers are angry for obvious reasons. (Loss of revenue).

Here are some of the 'dirty tactics' employed by the Baht bus drivers in the last seven days, they range from the minor to the deadly.

1. Deliberately blocking the passage of the 'free' bus.

2. Deliberately causing puncture of the 'free bus' tyres. (Using knives and bullets)

3. Intimidation of 'free bus' drivers, using threats of murder, to driver and/or his family.

4. So far six bus drivers have quit, one has 'disappeared'; is his body the one found in a Pattaya resevoir, hands tied behind his back with an unrecognisable face?

5. Intimidation of alighting passengers, from verbal assault to actual grevious bodily harm:-

-Three alighting passengers (all falang) were set upon by Baht Bus drivers this week. Extent of injuries awaited.

Most of the above is reported in this weeks edition of Pattaya Mail and can be read freely on pattayamail.com

How long before a hand grenade is lobbed on to a 'free' bus, last week a hand grenade was lobbed into an internet cafe in Pattaya.

I won't be using the 'free bus' will you?

W.S.

The free bus is long overdue.

These attacks are a very nasty turn of events.

The baht bus driver are well known for their bully boy robber tactics over the years.

However little is likely to change as the baht buses are run by the local maffia

Guest IT Manager

It isn't just the baht bus drivers who are bullies, IMHO. I went there once and spent 3 days. I had planned 5 days, but couldn't bear the cretins on the beach. They made me ashamed to be a foreigner in Thailand.

I don't mean everyone is the same, but they were just plain disgusting. When I read about the goings on down there I look for a reasonable way to get to Hua Hin with my family.

Vile creatures.

IT, just out of interest.

I have only been bothered by the gem sellers and the kids that want you to set a bird free for 20 baht.

I have no problems whatsoever with the lady that brings me beer chang and the wife is more than pleased with the somtum ladies.

These cretins, are they tourists? Please don't tell me it is the guy drinking chang with his wife who is eating somtum :o:D

Beach road can be very intimidating, not to mention dangerous.

Pattaya bus drivers win reprieve

PATTAYA: Authorities in Pattaya agreed yesterday to shorten a free microbus trial service from six months to 45 days after protests from songthaew drivers.

The trial began on February 14 as part of an effort to tackle traffic problems in tourist resort.

Pattaya officials are using the trial service to gauge public demand for the transport service.

But songthaews drivers cried foul, saying that their livelihoods were suffering, and called for a shortening of the free-trial period.

“Most people go for the free service, so how are we going to survive?” said Banjerd Kaewthongdee, the chairman of Public Transport Songthaew Group.

Banjerd yesterday met with Pattaya City officials to discuss problems arising from the trial service.

After the meeting, officials agreed to reduce the first phase of the free microbus service to 45 days. Fares will then be collected for the remaining period of the trial.

“We will collect information on the number of passengers and their needs”, Sittiparp Muangkhum, a senior official with the Pattaya Municipality, said.

The experiment is necessary because songthaews had failed to deliver an efficient transport service during the 20 years they had been operating, Bang Lamung District chief Suraphol Thiensuwan said.

--The Nation 2004-02-23

It realy is time the baht bus drivers got knocked off their pedastal. They have to be the most dangerous drivers in Pattaya and anywhere else that baht buses operate.

I personally hope that the free service is kept going. My only comment is that the bus should travel in the same direction as other traffic. That it opposes the traffic on second road seems completely nonsensical to me.

Ive been living in Pattaya,6 months on and 6 months off for nearly 12 years with my Thai wife. Pattaya is no different to any other Thai city.When will the politicians get real and stop making Mickey Mouse laws to protect Police who simply dont do they're job. The debate over bar hours is a prime example, leave the hours the same and increase the raids and penalties for people who blantantly break the law. Lets face it, the minors who are selling themselves are well in bed before midnight. Back to the issue at hand, where are the Police to protect drivers and passengers on free buses funded by City Hall,maybe the baht bus drivers grease the palm better than the Politicians. Ray.

Ray,

Coincidently I was istting in a bar on beach road having a drink yetsreday afternoon when the bus came past. I am not presuming that it is an ongoing thing, but there was a very well decorated and armed policeman sitting in the front seat with a 2 way radio at the ready.

Maybe the drivers have been given some protection, or maybe he was just catching the bus ............

Perhaps I have just been lucky but in 3 years of living nr. Pattaya and as both a car driver (when sober) and baht bus/motorbike user (when not) - I have not had any problems with them at all. I just find courteous driving does the trick when I am in my car and smiling and establishing fares beforehand when I am a passenger. Not rocket science really. I would certainly agree with other posters - to get into an arguement with a baht bus driver is plain stupid.

• 3 years later...
On 14th of February this year a free air-con bus service started in Pattaya, the route being, basically down Beach Road and then up Second Road to the Dolphin roundabout.

It sounds great but the Baht Bus drivers are angry for obvious reasons. (Loss of revenue).

Here are some of the 'dirty tactics' employed by the Baht bus drivers in the last seven days, they range from the minor to the deadly.

1. Deliberately blocking the passage of the 'free' bus.

2. Deliberately causing puncture of the 'free bus' tyres. (Using knives and bullets)

3. Intimidation of 'free bus' drivers, using threats of murder, to driver and/or his family.

4. So far six bus drivers have quit, one has 'disappeared'; is his body the one found in a Pattaya resevoir, hands tied behind his back with an unrecognisable face?

5. Intimidation of alighting passengers, from verbal assault to actual grevious bodily harm:-

-Three alighting passengers (all falang) were set upon by Baht Bus drivers this week. Extent of injuries awaited.

Most of the above is reported in this weeks edition of Pattaya Mail and can be read freely on pattayamail.com

How long before a hand grenade is lobbed on to a 'free' bus, last week a hand grenade was lobbed into an internet cafe in Pattaya.

I won't be using the 'free bus' will you?

W.S.

Well here we are, over 3 years on and still no one has been game to try another free bus service.

Edited by tropo

The experiment is necessary because songthaews had failed to deliver an efficient transport service during the 20 years they had been operating, Bang Lamung District chief Suraphol Thiensuwan said.

Where's our champion in chief for all things related to Baht Buses - Super Moderator Pattaya Fox?

Come on on Foxy, defend them if you can :o

Where's our champion in chief for all things related to Baht Buses - Super Moderator Pattaya Fox?

Come on on Foxy, defend them if you can :o

I've beem away for a while. Has Pattaya Fox been appointed "super moderator"?

Perhaps I have just been lucky but in 3 years of living nr. Pattaya and as both a car driver (when sober) and baht bus/motorbike user (when not) - I have not had any problems with them at all. I just find courteous driving does the trick when I am in my car and smiling and establishing fares beforehand when I am a passenger. Not rocket science really. I would certainly agree with other posters - to get into an arguement with a baht bus driver is plain stupid.

100 % agree :o

During my long time in Pattaya I never had any significant problem neither with the baht buses nor with the motorcycle taxis. Giving a smile being nice and friendly helps a lot.

W.S.

Seems to me, a hand grenade thrown into an internet cafe, would be more newsworthy. Why nothing on that ? (if true)