Taxi driver offers free booze to passengers who spend more than THB999

webfact

So impressed were Thai netizens with Lex's promotional abilities that they've dubbed him“the MVP of cabbies.”Some have even offered him marketing positions at their companies, seeing him as a smart publicist.

I respect k.Lek's initiative, however, to be offered marketing positions shows trouble for Thai companies, i.e. with ASEAN coming.

Yes, if the meter is turned on in Bangkok, it will register around 1,000 baht at Pattaya.

Hats off to Khun Lek for some savy marketing; I hope he does well smile.png

Well - whilst it is interesting - as a marketing ploy, it is unlikely to get him more customers.

I mean - look @ the publicity on here and then consider the impracticality of calling the guy up to take you to Pattaya as opposed to just flagging down a few cabs in the street.

Given that taxi fares in this country are much too low, it would take a 100km trip before the meter goes up to 1000 Baht, unless of course you get one of those taxi drivers that miraculously bump up your fare and doesn't want to use the meter. Although for only 99 Baht fare you get an est coke.

I can't read Thai, but does it actually say the fare must be 999 baht? The news story says you just have to spend 1000 baht, so I would assume you could just hand him a 1000 baht and get a free beer.

you don't need to read Thai to realize giving 1000THB is not a free beer anymore, even surrounded by very beatiful Ladys(?) it's not that expensive

Given that taxi fares in this country are much too low, it would take a 100km trip before the meter goes up to 1000 Baht, unless of course you get one of those taxi drivers that miraculously bump up your fare and doesn't want to use the meter. Although for only 99 Baht fare you get an est coke.

I can't read Thai, but does it actually say the fare must be 999 baht? The news story says you just have to spend 1000 baht, so I would assume you could just hand him a 1000 baht and get a free beer.

ยอดชำระ means Total spent so it's 999 baht or up

I have to add I dislike taking taxis in Thailand and the sooner the skytrains are finished and the number of taxis in Bangkok become less, the better. The reason is the majority are not working for a living, they are mainly working for the opportunities to rip people off or make an easy buck. This cabbie is a professional guy and the majority of cabbies in Thailand lack the professionalism that this guy has. It's way to easy to become a cabbie in Thailand and this is why it attracts the type of people who'd be better off doing a different kind of job, unfortunately though making it tougher to become a cabbie would mean genuine professional people with integrity such as this guy trying to earn a buck and establish himself as a professional driver probably couldn't afford to become a driver. Still with the amount of problems in general that taxi drivers cause, I would say the application process should be a little tougher.

Application process! Did you know that anyone can come to Bangkok and lease a taxi for the day.....and many do. I've had some very amusing taxi rides where the driver hasnt a clue where he is going. I know this as my missus always chats with them.as many, like her, are from the Esaan Thailand. But I disagree with you about their honesty. I have found most Bangkok 'Taxi meter' drivers to be honest. Only about 10% have ever tried to rip me off.

"Congratulations on your Thai reading ability. I'm genuinely impressed. I have yet to master numbers.

As far as the skytrain is concerned, I think it's a general system meant to work in conjunction with buses and taxis and maybe even motor taxi and tuk tuk. Bangkok and any major city on the planet is generally large and no on public transport will suffice for every need.

I've had nothing but a good experience with taxis in Bangkok during the few dozen times i've used one.

edit: I said few dozen but I should have said several dozen."

Thanks, picking out a good and bad taxi drivers usually depends on the time and place also, so when I used to use them i'd be speaking no Thai and it would generally be around khao san or rathchada etc, this is arguably the best time for the less scrupulous taxi drivers to take advantage, once I was handed a printed 100 baht note, another told no meter ( was lazy to go and find another cab ) then the usual wrong route, though to be fair my place is pretty far from those places anyway and there wouldn't be much custom for them around this way after say 9pm so it's not really a big deal but I prefer my own car or I prefer the mrt and skytrain to taxis.

ยอดชำระ means Total spent so it's 999 baht or up

I have to add I dislike taking taxis in Thailand and the sooner the skytrains are finished and the number of taxis in Bangkok become less, the better. The reason is the majority are not working for a living, they are mainly working for the opportunities to rip people off or make an easy buck. This cabbie is a professional guy and the majority of cabbies in Thailand lack the professionalism that this guy has. It's way to easy to become a cabbie in Thailand and this is why it attracts the type of people who'd be better off doing a different kind of job, unfortunately though making it tougher to become a cabbie would mean genuine professional people with integrity such as this guy trying to earn a buck and establish himself as a professional driver probably couldn't afford to become a driver. Still with the amount of problems in general that taxi drivers cause, I would say the application process should be a little tougher.

Application process! Did you know that anyone can come to Bangkok and lease a taxi for the day.....and many do. I've had some very amusing taxi rides where the driver hasnt a clue where he is going. I know this as my missus always chats with them.as many, like her, are from the Esaan Thailand. But I disagree with you about their honesty. I have found most Bangkok 'Taxi meter' drivers to be honest. Only about 10% have ever tried to rip me off.

Maybe saying majority was a bit harsh, majority in my experience, to add I would be using them around tourist areas and also, without a thai person with me who would handle the transaction and also in the night time.

Yeah, mostly they are ok

Hmmm. I would suspect that a cab driver who has booze on board to offer to his customers is probably imbibing himself and avoid.

Sometimes motor cycle taxi drivers are wrecking of booze, so you have to suddenly announce you have forgotten your wallet and wander off to find another one out of sight.

• Like 1

Hmmm. I would suspect that a cab driver who has booze on board to offer to his customers is probably imbibing himself and avoid.

Sometimes motor cycle taxi drivers are wrecking of booze, so you have to suddenly announce you have forgotten your wallet and wander off to find another one out of sight.

The taxi man could be better using the Thai shopping mall slogan --up to 80% off. when you ask at the end of the trip he would say --today is only 20% haha

"I service you with honesty"

That is what the girl at Nana says to .... or so I have heard

What are the freebies on offer for 99 and 199 ?

Gotta give him credit for trying to get longer fares

Maybe he is trying to get fares to go to Pattaya

99 baht gets you a can of est which is a cheap soda

199 baht gets you a couple of cans of pepsi, a 'premium' soda

And of course, we all zoomed in on the free Leo which is Thailand's 'premium' beer.

Yes, only Pattaya bound farangs (who are a much better class of farang) naturally have loadsa money and will happily accept the free tinny. They generally have a much better disposition and attitude regarding everything Thai, especially free things. Must be something in the water (but definitely NOT in the sea water) that makes the Pattaya farang such a happy and contented farang.