Apple/mac Now Also For Windows Xp

LaoPo

Apple introduced great news, although you have to buy XP yourself, which can be installed with a special program, available from Apple.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2006/apr/05bootcamp.html

LaoPo

Interresting, so if I buy a Mac, I will use Window$ from M$, and a chip from Intel ...

So I will not pay 3 or 5 or 10 times (I dunno the actula price) the price of my loozy PC to simply have another loozy PC (as Win XP will not natively support Mac, but it will be convertion, as by consequence Win XP will run slower than on a PC, and assuming it will mean also more CTP and compatibility problems).

The topic is interresting, but I have to say I am fully disapointed by Cuppertino (they do not care I know).

It looks like WinXP can natively run on the Apple intel platform.

The bootcamp Apple provides seems only to be an aide in preparing a separate partition for windows and to prepare a cd with the hardware drivers which windows will need...

If it is indeed this way, it would mean that Windows could run without much of a performance hit, and as such I think it indeed will pull over extra customers who would want the superiority of the Mac on the graphical part (e.g. desktop publishing, video authoring etc), combined with he huge software availability of Windows. No need of an extra machine anymore...

According to a lengthy review of Boot Camp yesterday in the Wall Street Journal, Monty, you are correct. It runs natively and there is no performance hit at all. The only real drawback that the Journal underscored is that, naturally, you can only run one OS at a time and must reboot to switch between them. Apparently some Mac apps will be able to access Windows documents without rebooting, but not the other way around.

Gotta love this quote.

Apple has no desire or plan to sell or support Windows, but many customers have expressed their interest to run Windows on Apple's superior hardware now that we use Intel processors

So for years they badmouth Intel processors and now that they're using them its superior hardware!.

It looks like WinXP can natively run on the Apple intel platform.

The bootcamp Apple provides seems only to be an aide in preparing a separate partition for windows and to prepare a cd with the hardware drivers which windows will need...

If it is indeed this way, it would mean that Windows could run without much of a performance hit, and as such I think it indeed will pull over extra customers who would want the superiority of the Mac on the graphical part (e.g. desktop publishing, video authoring etc), combined with he huge software availability of Windows. No need of an extra machine anymore...

Well, my comment was in case of a basic onfiguration. For a big configuration, why not on the Mac install a Linux kernel, then take advantage of some progs that allow to use 2 or more OS on he same time.

6 years ago I was able with an old II fx after I installed Linux to use bot Win 98 and Macos 7.x (do not remenber the release). It was slow, but II fx was anyway a slow computer. I do suppose the same can be made by now, with better perfomance.

Also, the grphical part is not only related to the hardware (there is good video system for PC for exemple), but also by the software (mostly the OS), so a basic Win XP runing in 32 colors (EXEMPLE) will have the same graphical performance for both machine (PC and Mac). The advantage to use a MAc, was the amount of graphical software that was taken advantage of the very special building of a MAc intosh (I think for exemple to Graphic converter that was given all advantage of a Photoshope, can use photoshop filters, and who given more capacity when modifying a picture).

What I think, it's just a way to have only one computer, during the day you work with, and evening you do gaming with (Mac os during the day, Window during the evening).

What I think, it's just a way to have only one computer, during the day you work with, and evening you do gaming with (Mac os during the day, Window during the evening).

Or the opposite, Windows in the exchange- .net-environment at the work and mac at all other creative situations.

Safety at home and virus and firewalls at jobb where the IT-dept can take care of all problems.

I think this will be an optimal solution for many professionals, especially today when there are few high quality PClaptop-brands on the market. IBM was the best ones before in my opinion.