Finance Negotiations

CTO

So wife get's a call from the man at Mitsuibishi,

"Can I come and see you about the finance, ?"

Note we'd put down 150 000 deposit.

He arrives (I am in Bangkok) and the finance man says "The deposit is too high, we don't make enough money, can you only put down 100 000 baht please and pay over 5 years not 4 please.

Wife thinks <deleted>?

She calls me, I get the Mitsui man on the phone,

No contract, piss off,

He's used to me subtle negotiating, "No Mr J, sorry, but can you help"

No piss off

"What can I do please Mr J?"

I tell him, "you sell cars, not finance, you want to be a bank, open a bank, you want to sell cars, don't waste my time"

The two of them then call respective companies,

Then the Mitsui man calls another finance company, same deal as original, who we have accounts with in Bangkok

He tells me, (wife says later the man from finance company went white)

OK - I have another finance company do the same deal.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH

Sorry Mr J I don't understand?

NOT GOOD ENOUGH, YOU WASTE MY WIFE TIME, MY TIME,

Sorry Mr J

NOT GOOD ENOUGH

"What can I do Mr J"?

Get me a rate LOWER than before or I buy the car in Bangkok.

Minutes later I get a marginal discount, really, over life of loan it's a few thousand baht

But i figure they need to suffer some pain,

Wife signs new contract with Mitsu, first loan man looks very glum,

I have a simple rule, once you start to re-negotiate, that means things move in BOTH directions, depending on who is holding the cards. If you fail to re-negotiate, you DON'T EVER get the same deal as before,

**** Disguised profanity removed****!

Still pissed off.

I had the same problem 3 years ago. They came and offered me 2.75%. I said NO =, the advertised rate by Mitsu is 1.99% They said we don't know about that, so i told them to go away and get it right. I must add that at this time the car was in my Garage and being used by me daily. When they came back a week or 2 later they had the 1.99% but by this time Mitsu had changed to 1.69%, so i insisted on getting this rate, so away they went again. A week or 2 later they came back and said OK we have a special interest rate for you, and offered 1.6%, all had been with the same company that Mitsu obviously had a deal with. By this time i had been driving the car for 6 weeks and had even had the First Service done on it so we happily signed the 4 year contract at 1.60%. So if you push for a better deal it can be done but the poor Thai's in general have no idea about finance and get ripped off constantly by the salesmen every day.

Edited by DJH77

If they think you're gullible, they will try everything, if they don't yet know whether you're gullible, they will test you :D

Maybe they got what they wanted (more commission) in the form of an attached Life Insurance policy? Check your contracts - it's a pretty standard "silent add-on" when you push them into a deal they don't want to do...

I had the same trick pulled on me by the Dealer of Mitsu Sathorn. He tried to convince me that the interest rate was of 2.75 %, where it was of 1.99 % according to the Mitsu promotion of the time.

He did not want to give out any freebies... Etc.Got mad when I showed him a much more interesting offer by another Mitsu dealer. LOL

Not accustomed to have customers walk away is my guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Bank prefer 25% down payment and that way they have lower risk and yet still make money. Higher down payment bank do not make much out of it...not worth going through paper work unless you buy a merc not cheap vios. Not to mention that sale person get commission from finance guy too.