Thai pistol shooting team: Olympian breaks down after being denied bail

webfact

Olympian breaks down after being denied bail
By Coconuts Bangkok

screen_shot_2556-07-16_at_11.39.56_am.pn

BANGKOK: -- A member of the Thai pistol shooting team at the 2012 London Olympic Games, Jakkrit Panichpatikum, broke into tears after learning that he will be detained for another 12 days on domestic battery charges following the court’s rejection of his bail application.

“I want to hug my daughters,” the father of two told reporters. “I am heartbroken to know that I can’t celebrate my daughter’s birthday this Thursday. I miss my children”

Authorities said they opposed Jakkrit’s bail request because he had intimidated witnesses and attempted to escape arrest.

Jakkrit was taken into custody after his 65-year-old mother, Boonchit Panichpatikum, and 36-year-old wife, Nithawadee Phucharoenyot, accused him last week of intimidating and assaulting them.

In a complaint filed with the Social Development and Human Security Minister, Boonchit and Nithawadee said Jakkrit had abused drugs after returning from the Olympics. [more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/07/16/olympian-breaks-down-after-being-denied-bail

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-07-16

women were considered "property" of the husband or senior male of a family until the 1997 constitution, most Thai males haven't caught up with the law and the law usually never catches up to them. Domestic violence in THailand is quite common, extremely rarely prosecuted and in most cases slapping someone is a misdemeanour incurring mere B1,000 fine only. (not if you are a foreigner, its criminal offence and you will likely be deported so don't try it). Rape in marriage is not recognised as a crime by society, even though it is in the constitutional rights of women and the laws that were developed following the 1997 constitution. Another THai celebrity male that believes he is above the law, at least his mother is part of it and not protecting him, hopefully he will get his cowardly just desserts coffee1.gif

• Like 2

But but but..... Don't you know who I am.

I'm famous.

That's the main problem.

Hope he will understand family is not concern with being famous. On this ground one can't assault, threaten or abuse them.

Be accountable, be good human being, be gentleman.

Edited by nachiket

I'm famous.

That's the main problem.

Hope he will understand family is not concern with being famous. On this ground one can't assault, threaten or abuse them.

Remember Marvin Gaye... celebrity, drugs and alcohol and add a gun for christmas to your dear old dad and what happens.... rolleyes.gif

It would seem that you have to actually kill someone to get bail, that is if previously reported cases are anything to go by.

Just beating up someone will not be enough to qualify, or could it be something to do with the amount of money that can change hands.

Goodness me, the fine folks excusing the brute's behaviour when the news broke, have gone silent.

No comments now about trumped up charges because he missed, or this being a politicized move because Minister Paveena was asked for help by the family.

The Thai press needs to run more of these stories to show battered women that they can get help and that domestic violence can be stopped.

Unfortunate for his children though.

I'm famous.

That's the main problem.

Remember Marvin Gaye... celebrity, drugs and alcohol and add a gun for christmas to your dear old dad and what happens.... rolleyes.gif

Yeah, I remember. I heard about it on the grapevine.

I hope all the guys who knock Thai justice read this. He is famous, connected and the still won't let him out. Well done.

that's probably because he doesn't have the right connections or because he won't admit the truth. There is a reason and it's not because Thai officials are just enforcing the law because it's their job.

My Thai students don't think good about Thai justice . They tell me there is a lot of corruption...so THEY knock Thai justice. THEY tell me MONEY TALKS. It's NOT a 'farang bashing Thai ' issue

• 2 months later...