Thailand tourism shining bright

webfact

Tourism shining bright
Bamrung Amnatcharoenrit
The Nation

30210618-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Industry foresees rising returns from China, Asean in coming years; Tourist Court urged amid safety concerns, crackdown on gangs

A rare piece of good news awaits Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra today: the Tourism and Sports Ministry is set to upgrade projected tourism revenue for 2015 to Bt2.2 trillion.

Tourism Minister Somsak Pureesrisak, who will meet with the prime minister today to present his plans on how to achieve the goal, believes tourism will remain buoyant over the next two years, amid increasing inflows of Japanese and Chinese visitors in light of ongoing conflicts between the two countries.

Tourism revenue is expected to reach Bt2 trillion in 2014, up from the previous Bt1.8 trillion forecast.

"Tourist safety will be on the national agenda," said the minister, who yesterday asked the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) to crack down on mafia gangs in Phuket.

Pattaya would be the next target area, as gangsters are now involved in businesses that affect tourists, particularly jet-skis and taxis. He acknowledged that Hong Kong had warned its people to be careful of travelling to the two cities. "That is not good for the country," he said.

Under the plan, Thailand aims to be a tourism hub in Asean, setting out to draw more quality tourists and to encourage them to stay longer. To facilitate this, the proposed Tourist Court must be set up.

The ASEAN hub goal comes at a time when the region is being urged to develop multi-country packages, to allow travellers to experience unlimited variety in terms of culture, landscape, people, flora and fauna, food, handicrafts, entertainment, shopping, recreation and excitement, within the 10 member countries of Asean.

Thailand earned Bt984 billion in tourism revenue in 2012, from 22.35 million foreign visitors. By region, tourists from Europe (5.45 million) spent the highest portion, Bt357 billion, according to the Department of Tourism.

By country, China topped the chart, with Bt106 billion spent by 2.76 million visitors. Most tourists were from ASEAN states at 6.3 million or 28 per cent overall.

The new revenue target is set despite a global economic malaise eating into the purchasing power of tourists in several countries. This has sharply cut demand for Thai exports. But with Thailand having already welcomed 12.7 million tourists in the first half of this year, including 2.27 million from China, private business operators are convinced the industry will remain buoyant and that the new target is achievable.

Piyaman Tejapaibul, president of the Tourism Council of Thailand, said new infrastructure initiatives like the high-speed train would boost tourism, as the routes will facilitate travel to major provinces rich in cultural and eco-attractions.

President of the Association of Domestic Travel Yutthachai Soonthornrattanavate said that concrete plans were necessary, though, for long-term development. Policies must be clear and consistent, not swayed by ad-hoc problems. He also urged for a special law to empower tourism authorities in charting development plans. He agreed that safety was a top issue, but said information gathering and dissemination was also crucial.

Sansern Ngaorungsi, deputy governor for Asia and the South Pacific at the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), foresaw that Chinese tourists would constitute a major part of arrivals. Despite a slowdown in China's economy, the number of arrivals is expected to hit 4.2 million this year. Plus, tourists from ASEAN would be attracted by city-to-city campaigns.

Chinese tourists in the first half accounted for nearly 18 per cent of all arrivals, against the 11 per cent per cent in 2012.

AirAsia expects to do well from the plan. Tassapon Bijleveld, CEO of Thai AirAsia, said that while China's demand was huge, Indochina also had big potential - as shown by a 35-per-cent rise in regional tourists in the first half.

The trend should continue over the next few years, he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-07-17

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Most tourists were from ASEAN states at 6.3 million or 28 per cent overall". - So were does the "minority" 72% come from.

They're classifying ASEAN states as one location to get the 28%. I suppose they then classify the rest of the world by individual country, so obviously the ASEAN states will come out as a significant number.

• Like 1

Tourism, ONLY TOURISM, one of many faces of Thailand, but the world knows the image already, welcome to the 21st century and to the real problems of this country, including contaminated RICE BERGS, cheap cars, deteriorating infrastructures, lofty-stupid-backstabbing-populist-policy-white lies and much much more corruption...

Tourism ONLY TOURISM, my darling tourism...

• Like 2

At least TAT might have photo-shopped the outrigger canoe out of the pirated Philippines image. Maybe substitute a leaking jet ski?

With an outraged operator demanding compensation for non-existent damage supported by one of the local BIB displaying the official police point

• Like 2

That's what you want millions more tourists throwing rubbish all over the beach and blocking up already overloaded sewage systems ,more cars busses and pollution .

I went down south last week and it was filthy ,the beaches and water just made me want to go home were I don't have to look at it ,and chooka your right that's the phillipines ,I'll show you a shot of a thai beach ,from Samui and you understand why they wanted to show another country's beach for promo shots.

post-181185-0-87409600-1374023954_thumb.

• Like 2

That's what you want millions more tourists throwing rubbish all over the beach and blocking up already overloaded sewage systems ,more cars busses and pollution .

I went down south last week and it was filthy ,the beaches and water just made me want to go home were I don't have to look at it ,and chooka your right that's the phillipines ,I'll show you a shot of a thai beach ,from Samui and you understand why they wanted to show another country's beach for promo shots.

It shows the lack of thinking things through as they pick a beach with a Filipino banca outrigger and the paint job they love so much and do so well.

Tourist are very safe in Thailand, just do not eat the rice, do not travel to far south,

do not run afoul of any taxi drivers and do not come here for a nose job ..

other than that ... just from headlines in the last few day ...

Why do people still come here?

Its the same old story every time. For a country that claims tourism is a small % of GDP they seem to spend most of their time discussing and promoting it.

In reality its one of the few real positive cash flow businesses theyve got. Imagine the economic and social mayhem if tourism shut down here.

Millions out of work. Poor families ruined.

Bangkok has become very quiet recently due to massive rise in cost of living expecially petrol.. Food prices are up 50-80% in some areas. Utilities up.Chicken/pig farmers going out of business due to increases in feed prices by super rich CP families.

Land owners wanting up to 35-45000 b month for shophouses in sois where Thais cant afford more than for 25-30 b a meal.

Take out tourism and this country is stuffed.

Edited by jalansanitwong
  • Like 1

Pretty much the same as the beaches round Pattaya/Jomtien.

Not so sure it's the tourists here, well other than the Russians and the 7/11 junk.

At the weekend it is full of Thais from Bangkok, guess what, the beaches are a complete mess on Mondays!

As to the money claims, according to my friends here these Chinese/Japanese/Indian/Asean tourists spend little or no money so where is the benefit from them coming?

HSS and thhMan I don't think you will be getting any offers from the TAT to promote the pristine beaches of Thailand. Sadly, there are so many beaches that are strewn with garbage all over Thailand. Pathetic.

"Industry foresees rising returns..."

This explains everything. They are making this crap up as they go. "Foresees" can mean anything.

I can foresee foreigners being treated properly this year and corruption declining as well.

Carries about the same weight. blink.png

• Like 2

I have a list of impossible dreams I would like to come to pass before I head off to wherever it is I'm going, have a good idea though. It starts with Scotland winning the World Cup and includes some I'd rather not mention but I'm adding a statement from TAT which says " this was a bad year for tourism " or words to that effect.

Actually I've more chance of seeing Scotland win the World Cup.

Wrong.

They are both on zero. Can't get less than that.

Scotland has absolutely zero chance of winning the World Cup (unless Denis Law comes out of retirement), which puts it on a par with the tourist projections..

I have a list of impossible dreams I would like to come to pass before I head off to wherever it is I'm going, have a good idea though. It starts with Scotland winning the World Cup and includes some I'd rather not mention but I'm adding a statement from TAT which says " this was a bad year for tourism " or words to that effect.

Actually I've more chance of seeing Scotland win the World Cup.

Wrong.

They are both on zero. Can't get less than that.

Scotland has absolutely zero chance of winning the World Cup (unless Denis Law comes out of retirement), which puts it on a par with the tourist projections..

I know Scotland's failings and nil chances but TAT live on their cloud and will not see anything other than tourists flocking and don't expect them to admit otherwise. It's against government policy.

A rare piece of good news awaits Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra today: the Tourism and Sports Ministry is set to upgrade projected tourism revenue for 2015 to Bt2.2 trillion.

Yingluck thinking (hard): "2015, hmm, how many years from now, hmmm, 1 year, plus 1 year = 2 years. Now, how many years left for me as PM? Already have 2 years (I think), hah, 2 more years. That means, wait a minute...wait a minute - yes!!! I can go shopping!! On credit!!!"

How ironic that whilst the country is failing everywhere it's tourists that are Thailand's saving grace. So maybe some Thais will start to learn not to bite the hand that feeds them.

Thank Buddha for farang!

edit.

Edited by bigbamboo
  • Like 1

Its the same old story every time. For a country that claims tourism is a small % of GDP they seem to spend most of their time discussing and promoting it.

In reality its one of the few real positive cash flow businesses theyve got. Imagine the economic and social mayhem if tourism shut down here.

Millions out of work. Poor families ruined.

Bangkok has become very quiet recently due to massive rise in cost of living expecially petrol.. Food prices are up 50-80% in some areas. Utilities up.Chicken/pig farmers going out of business due to increases in feed prices by super rich CP families.

Land owners wanting up to 35-45000 b month for shophouses in sois where Thais cant afford more than for 25-30 b a meal.

Take out tourism and this country is stuffed.

Tourism is a small % of GDP on the same serious level as traffic accidents and fatalities are down when Songkran and New Year!