Thai govt urged to inspect rice for contamination

webfact

Looks like they are in big trouble. People were warned by the government not to say the rice is contaminated. You meddling people have tarnished the reputation of Thailand and the rice industry. Who is that knocking at your door?

It's just me. I've got some Thai rice I want to sell you.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If an independent lab can find traces in 3/4 of samples tested, then I can only assume that the Agriculture Department, the Medical Sciences Department and the Food and Drug Administration (who said they found no contamination) were lying on government orders. Of course, that would be a white lie to prevent public loss of confidence.

Could it be that the government test labs have not had their equipment calibrated, in accordance with international standards, ISO 14000. Could it be that these government test labs need rectification to ensure they meet international standards. The Ministry of Industry has the Thailand Internal Standards Institute, ( TISI ), which maintains the standards for Thailand. In many cases it is recommended to verify the test results be using an external certified testing lab. coffee1.gif

I think you give them far too much credence; I think the simpler answer is that they didn't like what they found, so they simply lied.

From first hand experiences with Thai labs I would not trust the positive results that is causing this scare. Previously the Min of Agriculture tested samples and found no contamination. but this lab found contamination where other labs found none. First of all Methyl Bromide is a gas and evaporates quickly after the rice is fumigated it is unlikely therefore that package rice would have levels of Methyl Bromide that are harmful to humans. However:

Methyl Bromide is an ozone depleting substance and under the Montreal Protocol the production and consumption of Methyl Bromide was to cease by 2005. Countries like Thailand were however allowed to phase out its use by 2010. This is a fact which seems to have been totally lost to these Labs, the Media and Government Agencies.

• Like 2

FDA deputy secretary general Srinuan Korrakochakorn said some of the packaging factories might have not followed FDA instructions on food safety.

How would it have been the packaging companies that caused the contamination.

They would have bought the rice in bulk as they needed it and not kept it for long enough to need to fumigate it, they would then have packed it into smaller lots and any contamination would have been in the rice they bought.

Possibly they should have tested it and not just accepted the Govt's word that it was OK.

There is the possibility that they rice they bought contained something that needed destroying by fumigation before they could pack it.

Were that the case then contamination would have been there in some shape or form before it came into their hands.

US, EU and Codex are all 50.

However, weren't they talking about 5mn tonnes to be delivered to China. Not much out of that lot that can be below the limit. Note the generic "white rice" is the highest. This is the stuff that is the hardest to sell, and so has probably got the largest volume on hand, and has been fumigated the most frequently. From what I can see, the Hom Mali is what has been exported, not the generic stuff. Note, no crop years mentioned on the brands, so hopefully, all current crop? Anyone really believe that?

Also bear in mind, that these are the results today. The stuff probably has to be fumigated every 6 months ago, so the numbers will only go up.

No news here

"three state agencies - the Agriculture Department, the Medical Sciences Department and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) - said they found no contamination in tests they conducted earlier."coffee1.gif

Now this would have been news

Three state agencies - the Agriculture Department, the Medical Sciences Department and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) - said they found contamination in tests they conducted earlier.clap2.gif

"No related agencies have said anything about the health impacts of consuming rice with high levels of methyl bromide," he said, adding that he was not thinking of filing a lawsuit against the foundation yet.

Isnt it wonderful, if you find that our product is contaminated we will seriously think of filing a lawsuit against you.

Surely it should be the other way round, if you are selling contaminated products we will sue you.

Not if you know you are and it is easily proven.

I noticed that

"the Agriculture Department tested 10 brands of rice and found no contamination."

the other departments just random tested maybe from one company who knows

While

"Saree Ongsomwang, secretary-general for the Foundation for Consumers, said her agency had teamed up with the Bio Thai Foundation to collect 46 random samples of packaged rice sold under 36 brands

Now who are we going to believe?cheesy.gif

Just saying that this might be not that much of a difference of the rice we normally have. It is good that there are checks like this but as long as it is within safe limits set by a non Thai organisation then even I as an anti government person is satisfied.

If an independent lab can find traces in 3/4 of samples tested, then I can only assume that the Agriculture Department, the Medical Sciences Department and the Food and Drug Administration (who said they found no contamination) were lying on government orders. Of course, that would be a white lie to prevent public loss of confidence.

Exactly, spot on. The same as the strenuous denial of bird flu for a month to protect chicken exports.

Maybe they meant that what they found was within the limits as only one sample was above safe limits. Not defending the government here but it is strange.

Of course if there are more samples like that contaminated one well above levels then we got a problem and they should check that one more now that they have found the contaminants.

Actually they should check a lot more then 64 samples.

Or all the companies not just some of them.

No news here

"three state agencies - the Agriculture Department, the Medical Sciences Department and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) - said they found no contamination in tests they conducted earlier."coffee1.gif

Now this would have been news

Three state agencies - the Agriculture Department, the Medical Sciences Department and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) - said they found contamination in tests they conducted earlier.clap2.gif

Well, only one is at above generally accepted levels. Thing is, this "brand" is probably pulled from one supplier for re-packaging, which means that its all probably in one set of buildings where the technique for fumigation will be similar. Thus, they should look at the storages where the high residue product came from and go and have a look there first. Thing is, "white rice" could be a HUGE volume of product all in one place. Generic white rice could make up 60 to 75% of the stuff in stock.

It would really be nice to know which brands were tested as clean. I like my rice and use royal umbrella brand. Simple to list the brands and the amount of chemical/posion. Let the consumer decide what they choose to ingest. One poster stated he will be using Aussie rice for the future. Iwill seriously consider this myself.

UPDATE:

Thai FDA to conduct random checks of packaged rice

By English News

BANGKOK, July 17 – The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) will randomly check packaged rice at packaging plants in 10 provinces in the Northeast and Central region to ensure safety for consumers, a senior official said.

FDA deputy secretary general Srinuan Korrakochakorn said some of the packaging factories might have not followed FDA instructions on food safety.

Ms Srinuan said FDA officials will check the quality of the rice following information revealed yesterday by the Foundation for Consumers (FFC) that packaged rice from some brands contained 0.9-67 ml/kg of methyl bromide residue.

One brand, Co-co (Pimpa white rice), was found to have 67.4 ml/kg of methyl bromide, which is above the 50 ml/kg international food standard limit set by the Codex Alimentarius Commission (Codex), she quoted the FFC as saying.

FFC secretary general Saree Ongsomwang said earlier that disclosing the information on chemical residue in rice was aimed at protecting Thailand's consumers.

She said tests of 46 brands of packet rice, jointly conducted with the BioThai Foundation and the research centre of Chalard Sue (Smart Buy) magazine, did not find chemical residue in 12 brands or 26.1 per cent, but methyl bromide at the level of 0.9-67 ml/kg was found in 34 brands, or 73.9 per cent of the packaged rice which was tested.

The tests found no organophosphate or cabarmate insecticide and fungicides residue in any of the 46 brands, she said.

Ms Saree said 12 brands were found to be chemical free while five brands contained residue above 25 ml/kg but below the international standard of 50 ml/kg.

The remaining brands were found to have residue at 41 ml/kg, 29.5 ml/kg, 28.9 ml/kg, 27.6 ml/kg and 27.5 ml/kg levels. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2013-07-17

"One brand, Co-co (Pimpa white rice), was found to have 67.4 ml/kg of methyl bromide, which is above the 50 ml/kg international food standard limit set by the Codex Alimentarius Commission (Codex), she quoted the FFC as saying."

From first hand experiences with Thai labs I would not trust the positive results that is causing this scare. Previously the Min of Agriculture tested samples and found no contamination. but this lab found contamination where other labs found none. First of all Methyl Bromide is a gas and evaporates quickly after the rice is fumigated it is unlikely therefore that package rice would have levels of Methyl Bromide that are harmful to humans. However:

Methyl Bromide is an ozone depleting substance and under the Montreal Protocol the production and consumption of Methyl Bromide was to cease by 2005. Countries like Thailand were however allowed to phase out its use by 2010. This is a fact which seems to have been totally lost to these Labs, the Media and Government Agencies.

Not sure I understand what you are saying here

"Methyl Bromide is an ozone depleting substance and under the Montreal Protocol the production and consumption of Methyl Bromide was to cease by 2005. Countries like Thailand were however allowed to phase out its use by 2010. This is a fact which seems to have been totally lost to these Labs, the Media and Government Agencies"

This is 2013 are you saying the rice tested and found to contain Methyl Bromide is from 2010 grown rice.

Also are you saying you trust the government labs who have an interest in the results over labs that have no vested interest other than the welfare of the public.

UPDATE:

By English News

BANGKOK, July 17 – The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) will randomly check packaged rice at packaging plants in 10 provinces in the Northeast and Central region to ensure safety for consumers, a senior official said.

Ms Srinuan said FDA officials will check the quality of the rice following information revealed yesterday by the Foundation for Consumers (FFC) that packaged rice from some brands contained 0.9-67 ml/kg of methyl bromide residue.

One brand, Co-co (Pimpa white rice), was found to have 67.4 ml/kg of methyl bromide, which is above the 50 ml/kg international food standard limit set by the Codex Alimentarius Commission (Codex), she quoted the FFC as saying.

FFC secretary general Saree Ongsomwang said earlier that disclosing the information on chemical residue in rice was aimed at protecting Thailand's consumers.

She said tests of 46 brands of packet rice, jointly conducted with the BioThai Foundation and the research centre of Chalard Sue (Smart Buy) magazine, did not find chemical residue in 12 brands or 26.1 per cent, but methyl bromide at the level of 0.9-67 ml/kg was found in 34 brands, or 73.9 per cent of the packaged rice which was tested.

The tests found no organophosphate or cabarmate insecticide and fungicides residue in any of the 46 brands, she said.

Ms Saree said 12 brands were found to be chemical free while five brands contained residue above 25 ml/kg but below the international standard of 50 ml/kg.

The remaining brands were found to have residue at 41 ml/kg, 29.5 ml/kg, 28.9 ml/kg, 27.6 ml/kg and 27.5 ml/kg levels. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2013-07-17

"One brand, Co-co (Pimpa white rice), was found to have 67.4 ml/kg of methyl bromide, which is above the 50 ml/kg international food standard limit set by the Codex Alimentarius Commission (Codex), she quoted the FFC as saying."

"Methyl Bromide is an ozone depleting substance and under the Montreal Protocol the production and consumption of Methyl Bromide was to cease by 2005. Countries like Thailand were however allowed to phase out its use by 2010. This is a fact which seems to have been totally lost to these Labs, the Media and Government Agencies"

This is 2013 are you saying the rice tested and found to contain Methyl Bromide is from 2010 grown rice.

Also are you saying you trust the government labs who have an interest in the results over labs that have no vested interest other than the welfare of the public.

It is still approved for fumigation, but many industries stopped using it years ago and moved to phospine. It is a bit cheaper, hence of course, why inevitably it is still being used here. One cuirosity of its effect is that fumigating with methyl bromide will also kill bacteria and moulds, so I can see why they would use it, however, strangely, it is bacteria that break the stuff down, so, of course, the residues in packed rice can continue to rise and rise if it isn't adequately aerated.

Either way, what is important is how many times has this stuff been fumigated. If it is say twice and the PPMs are already at 25+, give it another 6 months, and it will be above the CODEX level, which means no shipment to just about anywhere. Then that will be a humongous problem. This stuff need to get shipped and fast.

I'd rather not be eating rice with any chemicals in it - "safe limit" for me means "low risk" which means there is a risk and I'd rather not take it - same reason people prefer organic produced food

it's like the safe levels of estrogen in London's recycled water supply when half the men need a C cup

and the FDA in Thailand testing rice or other food stuffs is a pointless exercise - does anybody here actually think they would tell the truth is they found contamination - this is exactly what is wrong with this country - agencies that are supposed to be independent are not and will do and say exactly what they are told by the government

Edited by smedly

Why everybody is checking for a chemical residue of fumigation by methyl bromide ( forbidden already a few years in the EU) of phosphine, but forget the REAL thread: aflatoxine, especially the type B1 ?

Just look a little around on Internet for this hazard !

When rice ( and corn and some other foods) is stored in a too humid way, a mould called aspergillus flavus can grow ( yes, the green colour giving mould). This leaves a - call it "shit" - behind, called aflatoxine.

In the EU, rice above 2 ppb B1 or 4 ppb B1+B2+G1+G2 ( the other types) is NOT allowed to enter the EU. There is no safe limit for aflatoxine, but EU laid it at these levels. Aflatoxine causes liver cancer, with a tremendous increase of risk for those already infected with hepatitis.

Till recently, Thai rice was harvested, stored a short time in well equipped warehouses, milled and shipped out, so no real serious risk ( but.. Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka had several shipments, which were destructed on the costs of the EU importer ! ) see https://webgate.ec.europa.eu/rasff-window/portal/index.cfm?event=searchResultList

Now, with rice stored at every corner they can find in Thailand, I even do not want to buy any Thai rice anymore, unless I am sure it is stored well, and investigated for aflatoxine, with as final: EU food autority inspection. When a a ThaI rice exporter does not accept, it says enough of their rice to me.

For me, only one solution: burn all rice of crop 2011 and all stored too wet till even crop 2012.

Feeding to animals might cause problems with especially the milk ( afla M1 and M2) or their meat.

But...you think any Thai MP ( and often big shareholders in the rice industry) will give a damn ?

Maybe they are even big shareholders in the hospitals, so.. even your liver cancer will bring them money.

TIT TWA This is Thailand, Thailand wins always.

Dear Sir,

We would like to clarify the status of Codex standards : Codex standards are a reference as regards food safety under the WTO SPS Agreement. , and at the same time they are voluntary, which means that member countries may decide to use them or not at the national level as a basis for their regulations, but they have no obligation to do so. According to the SPS Agreement when countries apply more stringent requirements they may be called upon to justify them on a scientific basis, through a risk assessment. This may be discussed as a trade concern in the SPS committees and in some cases differences in regulations may result in an actual trade dispute which follows the WTO rules for that purpose.

In the framework of Codex most standards and related texts are adopted by consensus by the Codex Alimentarius Commission; in some cases the EU or any other Codex member may put forward a reservation on some provisions, in this case they do not prevent the adoption of the standard in Codex but they express a different view for the record. Codex members may have a different standard or provision in their national legislation as the application of Codex standards is voluntary.

I hope this clarifies the process.

Best regards

Selma H. Doyran

Joint FAO/WHO Food Standards Programme

Agriculture and Consumer Protection Department

FAO

Via delle Terme di Caracalla

00153 Rome, Italy

E-mail: Selma.Doyran @ fao . org

Or in other words:

Codex Alimentarius is for many "developped" nations nothing more as a occupation therapy for food officials, giving an opportunity at least to bring an absolute minimum in quality level in the world as all have to join in the agreement = the lowest quality gets the standard..

UPDATE:

By English News

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2013-07-17

It is still approved for fumigation, but many industries stopped using it years ago and moved to phospine. It is a bit cheaper, hence of course, why inevitably it is still being used here. One cuirosity of its effect is that fumigating with methyl bromide will also kill bacteria and moulds, so I can see why they would use it, however, strangely, it is bacteria that break the stuff down, so, of course, the residues in packed rice can continue to rise and rise if it isn't adequately aerated.

Either way, what is important is how many times has this stuff been fumigated. If it is say twice and the PPMs are already at 25+, give it another 6 months, and it will be above the CODEX level, which means no shipment to just about anywhere. Then that will be a humongous problem. This stuff need to get shipped and fast.

Contaminated rice to be withdrawn from shelves

Pongphon Sarnsamak

BANGKOK: -- The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has ordered the manufacturer of CoCo-branded packed rice to recall its products from the shelves.

UPDATE:

By English News

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2013-07-17

Thanks for the explanation.

He said in his article and I quote

"Countries like Thailand were however allowed to phase out its use by 2010."

This being a government thing to enforce I am very sure that until now there has been no effort to enforce it here in Thailand.

Or he just was ill informed.

Why everybody is checking for a chemical residue of fumigation by methyl bromide ( forbidden already a few years in the EU) of phosphine, but forget the REAL thread: aflatoxine, especially the type B1 ?

Just look a little around on Internet for this hazard !

When rice ( and corn and some other foods) is stored in a too humid way, a mould called aspergillus flavus can grow ( yes, the green colour giving mould). This leaves a - call it "shit" - behind, called aflatoxine.

In the EU, rice above 2 ppb B1 or 4 ppb B1+B2+G1+G2 ( the other types) is NOT allowed to enter the EU. There is no safe limit for aflatoxine, but EU laid it at these levels. Aflatoxine causes liver cancer, with a tremendous increase of risk for those already infected with hepatitis.

Till recently, Thai rice was harvested, stored a short time in well equipped warehouses, milled and shipped out, so no real serious risk ( but.. Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka had several shipments, which were destructed on the costs of the EU importer ! ) see https://webgate.ec.europa.eu/rasff-window/portal/index.cfm?event=searchResultList

Now, with rice stored at every corner they can find in Thailand, I even do not want to buy any Thai rice anymore, unless I am sure it is stored well, and investigated for aflatoxine, with as final: EU food autority inspection. When a a ThaI rice exporter does not accept, it says enough of their rice to me.

For me, only one solution: burn all rice of crop 2011 and all stored too wet till even crop 2012.

Feeding to animals might cause problems with especially the milk ( afla M1 and M2) or their meat.

But...you think any Thai MP ( and often big shareholders in the rice industry) will give a dam_n ?

Maybe they are even big shareholders in the hospitals, so.. even your liver cancer will bring them money.

TIT TWA This is Thailand, Thailand wins always.

Not to dispute your statements.

I was wondering what the shelf life of rice was with out all the heat and humidity. People myself included have been talking one year old no good.

I am very sure there are a lot of safe storage buildings here in Thailand from before it became big money. I was wondering about their shelf life.

Also in a proper storage building what is the damage caused by rats and their feces? I don't think you could stop the rats from getting in to any place they want to get into.smile.png

[Even into Government]wai2.gif