Coming to Thailand, answers to these questions would be appreciated

So i decided that I'm going to drop it all and take the risk of going to Thailand to look for a teaching job. I'm a 24 year old male with light skin. I have a bachelors degree, 120 hour TEFL/TESOL certification (100% online), and 3 associate degrees (i know they aren't required, but maybe they help). I'm also a native English speaker from the United States. With my qualifications in mind i would greatly appreciate answers to the following questions.

1. From what I've read, the next big hiring season is in October, would it be best to show up at the start of October, or maybe show up mid-September, or even mid-October? Keep in mind that i want to come to Thailand as soon as possible, so i would rather not wait almost a full year for the biggest hiring seasons, if possible.
2. What do I need when I arrive? So far I know I need my resume, original degree's, original TEFL/TESOL certification.
3. How much money would you recommend that I bring? I'm not into drinking, partying, etc.
4. I plan on searching for jobs in Bangkok, and recommendations on cheap places/areas to stay?
5. With my qualifications, and desired arrival dates, what are my chances of finding a job in a month?
6. regarding appearance. I dress professionally, but have medium length hair that i wear in a ponytail. How big of an issue will this be to Thai employers? I keep it very neat, but i understand that certain cultures don't find this acceptable for a male.

Thank you for looking at/answering my questions.

First of all, you say you have light skin -- does that mean you are a farang or of some other ethnic background and have light skin?

Second, if you do not have a Bachelor's Degree, you are going to have difficulty. Three Associates degrees are not the same as a Bachelor's.

The end of September is a good time to arrive. Hopefully other posters will be along and give you advice on some of your other questions.

1. The early bird gets the worm.

2. TEFL certificate, Bachelor's degree with transcripts, police clearance, 2 letters of recommendation, passport photos and CV

3. $2000-3000 dollars

4. Don't know

5. Decent

6. It won't help your cause.

Sorry, I didn't make that clear. I'm non-asian from the US with light skin. I do have a bachelors degree, along with my associates degrees. Thank you for the arrival time, i appreciate it.

First time I've seen someone referring to their skin colour. Sounds like the Thais who are frightened of getting a tan.

Do some reading well-beforehand, and I'd suggest Lonely Planet's 'Thailand'. Has heaps of information.

Also see your travel medical centre, and get immunised or boosted against the usual. Don't leave it to the last minute.

1, private language schools hire year round. Bangkok you should be able to get a job anytime. A good job is a different story.

2. as stated before: original diploma (sealed transcripts aren't a bad thing either, TEFL certificate(if it says online not worth as much) Criminal background check from your state with a notary. (FBI would be better but takes longer) references and their contact information. A good resume that is short and clear. Some bosses may or may not have great skills reading resume's.

3. 3-5000 dollars minimum and a return ticket.

4. For rent you will need to pay 3 months up front. first last and deposit that could be around 20k baht alone for a good place.

5. You have no qualifications. Don't list associate degrees they aren't worth anything. You would have been better off double major. It may take a month to get a job or less in Bangkok other provinces more difficult. Remember it will then be another month before pay comes in. You won't earn much more than 30k baht a month. If you absolutely luck out, you may get 40k but most schools are paying less than they did 10 years ago. You have no experience and posting that you have light skin and your age as your first "qualifications" gives me little hope that you have any clue about teaching at all. (sorry to be critical but it does hurt the credibility of the field.)
6. Wear professional but comfortable clothes. No visible tattoos or excessive piercings, clean cut look, short hair, no beard. Smile in your photos. If you actually had something to offer as a teacher all things are overlooked, but for the inexperienced non professional teacher appearance plays a stronger role (unfortunately)

It is possible to get jobs breaking the stereotypes, but usually you need to bring something to the table. If you are selling yourself as young, white guy who is fun and cool, then you will be offered a lot of jobs but they may suck.

• Like 1

Zeichen thsts a good post. Yes Thais do like a young handsome man for an English teacher. But its normally a cop out coming here to do teaching or a time filler before you have to get real and go home and get a proper job. But the experience may be good for you or maybe not. Most enjoy the life style but get trapped by that. My advice even if you dobt want it would be to stay in America get work there. If you do come and really enjoy teaching then go back and get proper teaching qualifications then you can chose where to work and earn real money. Good luck.. ps dont fall in love here...