Toyota Abs

Gary A

My Toyota 4 WD has ABS. Since I drive on quite a few dirt roads up here in the boonies it activates quite often. It sounds like something is coming apart. It does work and the wheels won't lock up. It is good for my wife but when coming to an emergency stop on a dirt road it seems to take forever to stop. Anyone else have this noise problem? :o

My Toyota 4 WD has ABS. Since I drive on quite a few dirt roads up here in the boonies it activates quite often. It sounds like something is coming apart. It does work and the wheels won't lock up. It is good for my wife but when coming to an emergency stop on a dirt road it seems to take forever to stop. Anyone else have this noise problem? :o

Just an observation.

If your ABS is activating "often" you are driving too fast / braking too hard for the prevailing road conditions. Slow down, take it easy, live longer.

Remember the chap behind may not have ABS, he will take longer to stop than you (i.e. he will hit you up the rear).

I had abs in my both old subaru outback & jeep cherokee. Both were rather noisy when the abs kicked in - I think it's normal. It was disconcerting at first I agree but that abs was incredible, especially in snowy/icy conditions.