Retirement Visa Extension - The date you can apply has changed

We didn't get into any of the extra allowances that might be available - The important word she used was the 30 days had recently been "changed". The actual context that she gave me the info (since this can be important to ensure interpretation was correct)

- I simply handed her my passport and asked what is the 1st date that I could apply for an extension - She took my passport and looked at the last date in my passport (my current Visa extension was stamped for) and then pointed to the same date on the calendar and said "you can apply 45 days prior to this date" -

- I questioned this statement 3 times asking her to reconfirm that if I came 45 days and not 30 days before the date in my passport I could apply and on each time of asking she told me that it was now 45 days and Importantly (she spoke excellent English) she kept telling me the time period had "changed" when I kept referring to what I though the period was i.e 30 days.

Unfortunately the special excuses didn't occur in the conversation - So it may be something that does have some new rules attached, but I didn't get into this on the day - sorry.

Thanks ---- where was this cos some places allow 60 days?

It was Bangkok.

Just to confirm, was that 45 days without any special EXCUSE needed, such as proof of travel?

Thanks ---- where was this cos some places allow 60 days?

It was Bangkok.

*Just to confirm, was that 45 days without any special EXCUSE needed, such as proof of travel?*

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately we didn't get into any of the extra allowances that might be available - The important word she used was the 30 days had recently been "changed". The actual context that she gave me the info (since this can be important to ensure interpretation was correct)

- I simply handed her my passport and asked what is the 1st date that I could apply for an extension - She took my passport and looked at the last date in my passport (my current Visa extension was stamped for) and then pointed to the same date on the calendar and said "you can apply 45 days prior to this date" -

- I questioned this statement 3 times asking her to reconfirm that if I came 45 days and not 30 days before the date in my passport I could apply and on each time of asking she told me that it was now 45 days and Importantly (she spoke excellent English) she kept telling me the time period had "changed" when I kept referring to what I though the period was i.e 30 days.

Unfortunately the special excuses didn't occur in the conversation - So it may be something that does have some new rules attached, but I didn't get into this on the day - sorry.

Edited by spambot
  • Like 1

Thanks spambot.

It sounds like at Bangkok people are welcome to apply as early as 45 days early, changed from 30, WITHOUT any special excuse.

There is no reason to assume this applies to ANY other office unless/until we start getting reports of changes in those offices.

• Like 1

Well, folks, here is my experience on the 90 day reporting:

The facts: My last entry into Thailand was 22 April. Translates into the next reporting date to be 22 July. I went to the Immigration Office on 10 July, Wednesday. Around 2 PM. There was no line and I went directly to the window. I expected the Immigration Notice to say that my next 90 day reporting to be 22 October ( 90 days from 22 July).

Here is what I discovered:

1) My next reporting date will be 8 October. Immigration counts 90 days from 10 July (date that I actually went to Immigration). Not from 22 July (my last arrival date being 22 April).

2) The aforementioned was a problem for me because I am leaving Thailand on 11 October and was expecting not to go for another 90 day report. I asked for the 90 days report be extended to 11 October. They refused (computer will not allow such actions).

3) Fortunately, Immigration told me that I have 7 days from 8 October to leave Thailand with no penalty. In other words, until 15 October. I asked him to put that statement in writing with his initials. He agree and did so.

4) Immigration also told me that I could send my 90 day renewals by mail. He showed me the envelopes sent by other reportees.

Most of my report above was NEW to me.

Yes the new reporting date is counted starting from the last reporting DATE (or entry).

So yes you "lose" days by reporting early. No change in that.

This is TOTALLY DIFFERENT than applying for extensions early.

With that, you do not lose any days on your NEW extension.

So if immigration allows 45 days early or 30 days early (standard) there is really no downside to applying for EXTENSIONS early.

• Like 1

Well, folks, here is my experience on the 90 day reporting:

The facts: My last entry into Thailand was 22 April. Translates into the next reporting date to be 22 July. I went to the Immigration Office on 10 July, Wednesday. Around 2 PM. There was no line and I went directly to the window. I expected the Immigration Notice to say that my next 90 day reporting to be 22 October ( 90 days from 22 July).

Here is what I discovered:

1) My next reporting date will be 8 October. Immigration counts 90 days from 10 July (date that I actually went to Immigration). Not from 22 July (my last arrival date being 22 April).

2) The aforementioned was a problem for me because I am leaving Thailand on 11 October and was expecting not to go for another 90 day report. I asked for the 90 days report be extended to 11 October. They refused (computer will not allow such actions).

3) Fortunately, Immigration told me that I have 7 days from 8 October to leave Thailand with no penalty. In other words, until 15 October. I asked him to put that statement in writing with his initials. He agree and did so.

4) Immigration also told me that I could send my 90 day renewals by mail. He showed me the envelopes sent by other reportees.

Most of my report above was NEW to me.

No that's not new.

Extension of stay for retirement cases is always one year beyond the date the last one expired regardless of when you actually renew.

90 day report is ALWAYS 90 days from the previous report unless you go out of the country and re-enter. You're expected to report every 90 days.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

I hope that is correct as it is not how I have read the policy as allowing an extra seven days to make report without fine. This is not reporting at all. Suspect getting signature was a good move and if anyone can confirm this is indeed policy the news would be most welcome by many readers I am sure.

A little off topic but related to visa extentions renewal at Pattaya Immigration so here's the heads up for changes . I went yesterday to renew my married to a Thai visa . All was well until I showed my tenancy agreement for proof of address ,as the English owner of the property has it in the name of a company I was told I needed a copy of the company registration and a completed 'name of aliens in residence' plus a completed notification form for the address where alien is residing , both completed by the owner of the property . This was particularly awkward as the owner was residing in England for the summer so when I informed them of this I was told to contact him by e.mail and for him to e.mail an attachment of copies needed . Luckily I still have 2 weeks left on my visa but if I left it until it was up there could have been problems .

I hope that is correct as it is not how I have read the policy as allowing an extra seven days to make report without fine. This is not reporting at all. Suspect getting signature was a good move and if anyone can confirm this is indeed policy the news would be most welcome by many readers I am sure.

I have always understood for 90 days reporting that you have 14 days before and 7 days after, if doing it in person. Those sending their TM47 by mail do not have the 7 days after leeway and are subject to a fine if it is received later than the reporting date. Hence the statement by immigration that it should be posted 15 days before due date.

I have always understood and was told by Immigration that for 90 day reporting you have 14 days before and 7 days after if doing it in person. However, those sending their TM47 by post do not benefit from the 7 days after leeway and are subject to a fine if it is received after the reporting date. Immigration also state that if using the postal service then it should be posted 15 days before the reporting date. This is not recent, it dates back a few years from my experience.

I have always understood and was told by Immigration that for 90 day reporting you have 14 days before and 7 days after if doing it in person. However, those sending their TM47 by post do not benefit from the 7 days after leeway and are subject to a fine if it is received after the reporting date. Immigration also state that if using the postal service then it should be posted 15 days before the reporting date. This is not recent, it dates back a few years from my experience. I don't mind losing a few days every time as Immigration want a completed TM47 every time I go for a retirement extension.

Edited by Anon999

Thanks spambot.

It sounds like at Bangkok people are welcome to apply as early as 45 days early, changed from 30, WITHOUT any special excuse.

There is no reason to assume this applies to ANY other office unless/until we start getting reports of changes in those offices.

One thing you have to realize is that every immigration office has their own rules. So best to check with your local immigration office to see if this rule applies.

Barry

Agree with: Jingthing - No such thing as thing as a Rule in your favor - Treat Rules as a good indicator only - that this might be happening in your location

Agree with: Barryofpattaya - Need to check the process locally.

Good to Hear: Jumbo - Sounds like it happening in your location as well.

as far as Hua Hin is concerned they don't mind even retirement renewal 2 months befor it is due with no excuse required. But it is always wise to get early in case some other documentation is required.

Nice that BKK Immigration officially announces these kinds of things... perhaps posts on their website...

Of course NOT!!! bah.gif

Yup - That's the way it seems to happen with most things here in LOS

But I guess that is why this forum is here - To find the clues in the big game of what happens at Visa time.

We all probably need to think about Visa extensions (and other related Immigration issues) as less like "Tell me the rules and I will follow" and see it more like a game of "where's wally"

When you extend it is extended from the date you visit immigration so you can get a re-entry permit for the full 12-13 or more months. Only when you have a 30 day under review (Thai wife extensions and such) would you have to wait until the the final extension stamped to get a long term re-entry permit.

Good info on the extension .... I will check it out in Nakhon Sawan. I was in there a month ago for my 90 day reporting and at that time was told the one year extension was 30 days before .... but maybe somebody has FOUND and READ an IMMEDIATE RELEASE, VERY IMPORTANT MEMO!

• Like 1

Nice that BKK Immigration officially announces these kinds of things... perhaps posts on their website...

Of course NOT!!! bah.gif

I just went to the Bangkok Immigration 1 webpage you end up at when clicking on some of the info links on the immigration home page left hand side, and the info pages still have a moving banner across the screen saying immigration will be closed from 29 Dec 12 - 1 Jan 13. Yes, Sir, a website kept up to date.

Edited by Pib

Good info on the extension .... I will check it out in Nakhon Sawan. I was in there a month ago for my 90 day reporting and at that time was told the one year extension was 30 days before .... but maybe somebody has FOUND and READ an IMMEDIATE RELEASE, VERY IMPORTANT MEMO!

Presumably this would take the form of a letter issued by the Immigration Bureau similar to the one they issued at the end of May increasing the validity period for Embassy income confirmation letters from 15 days to 6 months? If anyone has managed to lay their hands on an e-copy of any such letter, could they please attach it?

Whilst immigration offices do, indeed, tend to be laws unto themselves, I personally would not have thought it likely that Bangkok in particular would have sanctioned extensions of stay applications being submitted 45 days in advance of the current stay expiry date, unless this change had previously been endorsed at the very highest levels in the Immigration Bureau. I therefore wonder whether, as appears to have already happened in the Embassy income confirmation letter case, it will be rolled out nationally.