Air Asia V Bkk Air...Not a rant.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK, I admit I now understand the reason behind the hassle of this air route. It's simply the fear of getting into accidents and trying to minimize the risks.

But the risk of getting in any accident is so low to begin with. It's like talking about the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere, and even that seems to make some difference, though some would still argue that it's so minuscule that there can't be much effect.

Of course air travel is the safest mode of transportation.

My point is that, even if air travel is 10 times safer than bus, both are still a very very small number. But hands down, one can't argue against it. Smaller chance of accident is better, no matter what, even if minuscule.

i have travelled many times by bus in thailand,but i dont anymore.too many crazy bus drivers driving too fast(usually trying to make up lost time)to get to the ferry terminal at donsak.its the same with visa runs,ok they are small mini buses but the drivers have the same mentality of wanting to speed at 100-120klm,driving on the wrong side of the road,overtaking on bends with no clear vision of whats coming at them.

dear "mole" you continue to travel by bus by all means..............but too many of us have had bad experiences catching a bus.

dear "mole" you continue to travel by bus by all means..............but too many of us have had bad experiences catching a bus.

No problem catching a bus just go to the new terminal in Nathon.

Is it open now?

I drive to Bangkok on regular basis. Wish I had a dash cam to show some of these buses & the antics their drivers get up to.

Amen brother... There's a heap of room for improved road safety in the Land of Smiles.

The 19 passengers who died on this bus are now just another statistic.

post-86619-0-29571300-1374719660_thumb.j

It would seem that my original post has become de-railed, 'scuse pun.

I have watched and experienced with horror the idiocy of many Thai drivers and it would seem that if I decide to travel by ferry to Don Sak there is a risk that I might drown if i the ferry sinks. I think the odds are that I should be OK.

I will then have to travel for about 1 hour in a bus which may be serviceable/might have a qualified driver (whatever that means)and who is not taking amphetamines to keep awake. This seems to me to be the weakest link as far as safety and my travel arrangements are concerned.

One hour road travel should raise the odds in my favour a little as against road all the way to BKK.

The flying is not a worry at all since the airline has operational approval and operates to laid down standards with proper training..

So it seems to me that in order to save 10000 odd Baht and travel for the best part of a working day using Air Asia, the biggest risk is the one hour travel by road to/from Surat airport. Decisions, decisions.facepalm.gif

• Like 1

It would seem that my original post has become de-railed, 'scuse pun.

I have watched and experienced with horror the idiocy of many Thai drivers and it would seem that if I decide to travel by ferry to Don Sak there is a risk that I might drown if i the ferry sinks. I think the odds are that I should be OK.

I will then have to travel for about 1 hour in a bus which may be serviceable/might have a qualified driver (whatever that means)and who is not taking amphetamines to keep awake. This seems to me to be the weakest link as far as safety and my travel arrangements are concerned.

One hour road travel should raise the odds in my favour a little as against road all the way to BKK.

The flying is not a worry at all since the airline has operational approval and operates to laid down standards with proper training..

So it seems to me that in order to save 10000 odd Baht and travel for the best part of a working day using Air Asia, the biggest risk is the one hour travel by road to/from Surat airport. Decisions, decisions.facepalm.gif

well the 1-2 hour bus journey from donsak to the airport is so slow (never travel above 50 klm. per hour) that an accident if it were to happen would just wake you up from your slumbers....................

Drive yourself, park up at the airport. 620 Baht each way for the car, you, & Mrs Gator..

This is the best way. Leisurely drive to the airport, park up, free and car safe, no stress.

You must be unaware of the accident statistics or have balls of steel to use the bus.wink.png

• Like 2

Drive yourself, park up at the airport. 620 Baht each way for the car, you, & Mrs Gator..

Fantastic idea! This option just didn't occur to me!

Does the 620 baht include the ferry and car parking charges?

Is the car park secure?

Thanks, Gator

Just to add my 5 pence worth, if you did decide to drive yourself from Samui (not sure of the public transport options from Samui/Don Sak) depending on what time of the day you are travelling, it's actually quicker to go to/from Nakhon Si Thammarat airport. It's located on the Northern side of the city (closest to Don Sak) and it's a free drive from there to Don Sak, where as sometimes, especially in the afternoons, 4-6pm roughly, the traffic around Surat Thani can be really bad, so instead of the 1hr 15mins which it should be, it can be closer to 2 hours.

Both Air Asia & Nok Air fly to NST, as often as they do to Surat Thani.

Just another option to think of, if you do want to cut out public transport fear from Don Sak to Surat Thani & end up driving yourself.

• Like 1

Just to add my 5 pence worth, if you did decide to drive yourself from Samui (not sure of the public transport options from Samui/Don Sak) depending on what time of the day you are travelling, it's actually quicker to go to/from Nakhon Si Thammarat airport. It's located on the Northern side of the city (closest to Don Sak) and it's a free drive from there to Don Sak, where as sometimes, especially in the afternoons, 4-6pm roughly, the traffic around Surat Thani can be really bad, so instead of the 1hr 15mins which it should be, it can be closer to 2 hours.

Both Air Asia & Nok Air fly to NST, as often as they do to Surat Thani.

Just another option to think of, if you do want to cut out public transport fear from Don Sak to Surat Thani & end up driving yourself.

I did consider this option. What is the parking like at NST airport? Is it secure?

Thanks

Nakhon Si is a much easier drive, also the flights are a bit later in the day which makes it easier with the ferry.Great parking area.

The only difference in parking is @ Surat they ask you for ID which they keep until you hand back your pass which is better security, Nakhon Si they don't but still secure with CCTV & security personnel.

I can't see the point in all the hassle of taking the plane from Suratthani airport when you can just take a comfortable bus directly to BKK.

Total travelling time for Suratthani/Nakorn Srithammarat air route is 6+ hours. Bus are 11 hours. There isn't really much difference. You're gonna need a day travelling anyway.

Paying extra to sleep overnigth in hotel is even more absurd. Just for the sake of being able to take a plane to BKK.

Bus will also be a whole lot cheaper than Air Asia/Nok Air.

I can think of at least 19 dead in the last 2 weeks that would ague that if they could. I know what I choose for my family.

Nakhon Si is a much easier drive, also the flights are a bit later in the day which makes it easier with the ferry.Great parking area.

The only difference in parking is @ Surat they ask you for ID which they keep until you hand back your pass which is better security, Nakhon Si they don't but still secure with CCTV & security personnel.

Thanks for the info. It looks as though Nakhon Si is the favourite.

Sorry to keep on....but the pros and cons of NST and Surat seem to be

NST Pro - easier drive to NST Con - Not such good car park security at NST.

SRT Pro - better security. However If I have to leave a proof of identity with the Car park attendant

will an English licence/ Intnl licence or copy of passport suffice as I haven't got round to getting a Thai Licence.

Thankswai.gif