World's Best City Award presented to Bangkok governor in New York

webfact

World's Best City Award presented to Bangkok governor in NYC

NEW YORK (NNT) - Bangkok has been selected as the “World’s Best City” by Travel & Leisure magazine for the fourth consecutive year.

Bangkok Governor MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra travelled to New York, the United States to receive the award in person on July 18 from the magazine publishers. At the award presentation show, he publicly thanked Bangkok residents and related agencies for contributing to Bangkok’s unique qualities and attractiveness.

He further promised to continue to gather feedback from tourists visiting the capital in order to further facilitate new influxes of visitors each year.

The No. 1 ranking in the magazine's top 10 cities list was based on a poll of readers who cast votes from December to April to rate their favorite cities.

Bangkok topped the list with a score of 90.42% for the fourth year running, followed by Istanbul at 89.96% and Florence at 89.84%.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-07-20 footer_n.gif

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bangkok is 'World's Best' for 4th year
The Nation

30210861-01_big.jpg
Tourists sightseeing at Wat Phra Kaew, or Temple of the Emerald Buddha, inside the Grand Palace. Bangkok has been honoured for the fourth consecutive year as the World's best city

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok has won the "World's Best City Award 2013" organised by Travel and Leisure magazine for the fourth consecutive year.

The 10-country ranking by travellers gave Bangkok 90.40 per cent votes, followed by Istanbul, 89.96 per cent and Florence 89.84 per cent.

Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra yesterday received the award from the magazine's editors at a ceremony in New York, where the magazine is based.

Bangkok also received the "Best City in Asia" award from Travel and Leisure for the seventh time - from 2005 to 2013, with the exception of 2009.

The top-10 table this year also sees Chiang Mai ranked at 10th, receiving 88.15 per cent of votes, after Cape Town, Kyoto, Rome, Charleston in South Carolina, Barcelona and Paris.

The criteria used for the rankings were: tourist attractions; culture and customs; food hygiene and taste; and shopping availability; hospitality; monetary worthiness.

In his statement, Sukhumbhand thanked all Bangkokians and relevant government agencies for the recognition, adding that all road and other signs would be made bilingual and public safety would be boosted as an assurance to foreign and Thai tourists.

He said all agencies under the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration had been instructed to visit English-language websites containing feedback or complaints from foreign tourists to look into them and correct the problems.

Sukhumbhand said defending the top position would not be a priority apart from maintaining high standards of the BMA's public service, which also focused on security, life quality, food and hygiene.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-07-20

I bet I know why people liked Bangkok so much and it has nothing in common or to do with the reasons they like Istanbul or Florence.

1. Hospitality and particularly the hospitality of of the pay for play female scene and 2. Money going far

That's it really.

But, now I have to put up with Thais thinking Bangkok is world class city. coffee1.gif

And why do you think it is not?

Excellent shopping, restaurants, infrastructure (subway/skytrain), airport, CBD, it's all there and much of it is very good quality.

You can harp on about the skytrain and mrt as much as you like but the fact remains that the cities roads grind to a gridlocked halt at least two times daily.

Please note the users name that made that comment coffee1.gif

My Facebook feed was jammed last night with people complaining about gridlock in BKK. They're needing to quadruple the amount of train lines and double the cost of fuel to get all the cars off the road.

• Like 2

Excellent shopping, restaurants, infrastructure (subway/skytrain), airport, CBD, it's all there and much of it is very good quality.

You can harp on about the skytrain and mrt as much as you like but the fact remains that the cities roads grind to a gridlocked halt at least two times daily.

And please note the users name that made that one!

• Like 2

And please note the users name that made that one!

Ahem, surely you can see the irony blink.png

Anyway, can anyone point out to me a top tier world city that has terrible shopping?

Just asking coffee1.gif

I think Bangkok is a fantastic city, probably my favorite.

And no, I do not frequent the "pay for play female scene" nor do I think that BKK is particularly cheap (not anymore).

I love the cinemas, the book stores, the food, the shopping, the BTS......

But of course, the usual Thai bashers will be along shortlysmile.png

OK so because some think Bangkok is a horrible place = Thai bashing! Interesting.

How about mere BKK bashers? will that please you? There's more to see and do within one square mile of London than the entirety of Bangkok. That's never mind the superb city of Sydney.

BKK is a concrete jungle, a horrible place that's lost it's soul.

Bangkok, "World's best city".

Easy to say, but what does it really mean? This 'award' was made by a Travel & Leisure magazine and signifies that it is only "the best city" as far as tourists are concerned.

The world's most livable cities are listed here, 4 in Australia, 3 in Canada. All a matter of opinion of course.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World%27s_most_livable_cities

Posters making what may seem to be negattive comments either live here or have, correctly, noticed many negative things about Bangkok.The city has a pathetic lack of greenspace and some of the worst traffic jams on earth..

It does have a fairly vibrant night life, some good restaurants and plenty of scenic concrete work.

But anyway it's nice for Thailand to be able to congratulate itself on something, since most of the news is, sadly, giving the country a bad name.

Just look at the forum topics for a list.

• Like 1

I bet I know why people liked Bangkok so much and it has nothing in common or to do with the reasons they like Istanbul or Florence.

1. Hospitality and particularly the hospitality of of the pay for play female scene and 2. Money going far

That's it really.

But, now I have to put up with Thais thinking Bangkok is world class city. coffee1.gif

It is far and away NOT the best city in the world. Claims that it is, are written by Thais for the brainwashing and edification of idiots. coffee1.gif

That's it really.

It is far and away NOT the best city in the world. Claims that it is, are written by Thais for the brainwashing and edification of idiots. coffee1.gif

So you're saying Thais started the Travel & Leisure magazine. Made up the competition incognito, held the awards in New York, awarded themselves 1st place and then sent mayor over to collect the prize? And they did this all for the edification of idiots? And exactly which planet do you come from?

• Like 2

And no, I do not frequent the "pay for play female scene" nor do I think that BKK is particularly cheap (not anymore).

How right you are/were.. Thai bashers out of bed with nothing better to do. Does make one wonder why they choose to stay if it's so bad?

• Like 2

How about mere BKK bashers? will that please you? There's more to see and do within one square mile of London than the entirety of Bangkok. That's never mind the superb city of Sydney.

BKK is a concrete jungle, a horrible place that's lost it's soul.

Sydney would never get voted best city. Too many whining moaning flatulent Aussies there

• Like 2

a bit like any other city in the World then...

That's so true... I enjoy Bangkok when I'm there... so much good fun to be had!