Plodprasop says spat with Banharn cleared up

webfact

Plodprasop says spat with Banharn cleared up
Jeerapong Prasertpolkrung,
Anapat Deechuay
The Nation

30210875-01_big.jpg
Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra inspects the folding floodwall being put up at the Wat Phanan Choeng Worawihan in Ayutthaya yesterday. The temple sits on the bank of the Chao Phraya River.

Veteran politician warns deputy PM against making public statements

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Prime Minister Plodprasop Suraswadi said yesterday that his disagreement with Chart Thai Pattana Party chief adviser Banharn Silapa-archa, over his handling of the water-management scheme had now been cleared up.

Speaking at a press conference yesterday, Plodprasop said Banharn had been his boss at the Agriculture Ministry at one time. At that time, Plodprasop was chief of the Royal Forestry Department, which comes under the ministry's control.

He added that he was also briefly a deputy at the now-defunct Chart Thai Party led by Banharn.

"I began my political career through a stint with the Chart Thai Party. You can ask him [banharn] how good I was for the party then."

Clarifying his qualifications as an expert in irrigation and water management, Plodprasop said he had handled several irrigation projects under the Prem Tinsulanonda government and obtained an overseas degree in coastal engineering.

"Banharn did not actually question my qualifications as I am capable of handling the flood- and water-management project, given my qualifications," he added.

On Tuesday, Banharn said that Plodprasop was only good at getting the government into trouble and that he never consulted him on any important projects, despite his 30-years experience in flood- and water-management. Banharn also warned Plodprasop of making public comments about his criticism, saying he would face fierce counter-statements.

Yesterday Banharn said the construction of a water gate in Nonthaburi's Bang Bua Thong district had made little progress. The project was proposed by the Agriculture Ministry to Plodprasop's water-management committee. The ministry comes under the supervision of Banharn and the Chart Thai Pattana Party.

"This project is going nowhere. If the area gets flooded in the future, don't blame the ministry," he added.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra visited a number of sites in Ayutthaya where flood-prevention walls are being built. She was in the province to attend the mobile Cabinet meeting. She also stopped off at Wat Phananchoeng, which was inundated in the massive 2011 floods.

One of the construction projects in the province involves elevating Route 3477 by another 50 centimetres so it doubles as an embankment wall. Also a metre-high and 17km-long flood wall is currently being constructed, which will be part of a ring of walls covering 676km to protect industrial estates.

Yingluck said the flood-prevention projects had made about 60-per-cent progress, adding that the government's Bt350-billion mega-project would ensure long-term solutions.

She also visited Kong Khong market in Bang Pa-in district and later gave an interview to promote the mobile Cabinet meeting, which will be broadcast as part of "Yingluck Meets the People" show today.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-07-20

OK. An overseas degree in coastal engineering.

In Switzerland perhaps. Someone please check if that degree is real. Please.

Yes the degree is real, Plodprasop can show you the paper. coffee1.gif

No it is not from a diploma mill, and he did not buy in on the street, Maybe it came with Cracker Jacks?

OK. An overseas degree in coastal engineering.

In Switzerland perhaps. Someone please check if that degree is real. Please.

The degree is actually in costal engineering. Fabricating the price of any project.

• Like 1

At that time, Plodprasop was chief of the Royal Forestry Department,

Was that then he was selling endangered species, or am I thinking of someone else?

If it is him is there not still a court case to be heard against him?

Mr. Plodprasop is, as we say in Texas, 'all hat and no cattle'. That means he is all talk and no action. Banharn, an old-school politician, knows that the voters will overlook a lot of corruption as long as you get the job done. Bang Bua Thong got some of the worst flooding and Banharn has probably made political comments/commitments to the district that it won't happen again. He is worried Mr. All-talk won't get the job done. Mr. Banharn may control only a minority party but he is not someone to get on the wrong side of. Many people/politicians owe him favors. On the other hand, Mr. Plodprasop is very wealthy and is a friend of Thaksin's but he has no other allies.

By the way, that floodwall Ms. Yingluck is looking at so wondrously, is beginning to rust.

• Like 2

[...]

By the way, that floodwall Ms. Yingluck is looking at so wondrously, is beginning to rust.

That doesn't matter. Our dear PM really seems to enjoy not having to look at huge piles of decaying rice and eat some of it without making a face.

• Like 1

I'm sorry, I really did try to read the entire story in the op before I posted but when I got to "You can ask him [banharn] how good I was for the party then."..................... I gave up.

Is it just me or do other people find it hard to have any respect for someone whose name starts with "Plod" ? Talk about a monkey wearing a big hat !

• 3 months later...

K. P's assessment of the dam program seems to be based on nothing but his own instinct, and anyone who argues with him he declaims as
"unpatriotic"

Maybe he should listen to Mark Twain...

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."

Mr. Plodprasop is, as we say in Texas, 'all hat and no cattle'. That means he is all talk and no action. Banharn, an old-school politician, knows that the voters will overlook a lot of corruption as long as you get the job done. Bang Bua Thong got some of the worst flooding and Banharn has probably made political comments/commitments to the district that it won't happen again. He is worried Mr. All-talk won't get the job done. Mr. Banharn may control only a minority party but he is not someone to get on the wrong side of. Many people/politicians owe him favors. On the other hand, Mr. Plodprasop is very wealthy and is a friend of Thaksin's but he has no other allies.

I have been commenting about the flood wall here in Bang Bua Thong, it has been stopped for a real long period I am always wondering what they are doing. Now it is flooded around the flood wall and they have a problem fixing it. It is crazy how corrupt it is under this government, they steal too much so there is no money to complete the project.

Plop, i was wondering why he did not say anything, I did not see him shoot his foot for a while now I know Banharn told him to keep silent.

x30210875-01_big.jpg.pagespeed.ic.kO57CF

Caption-Competition time ? ...

"Feel the Force, Master Luke Yingluck" rolleyes.gif

"Look, No Hands !" biggrin.png

"Just Like That !" (with a bow towards the late great Tommy Cooper)

"And it only took 2 years, and B350-Billion !" facepalm.gif

"And Here's One I Made Delegated Earlier !"

"Amazing What You Can Do, With Burmese Cheap-Labour !" whistling.gif

"Where On Earth Did That Come From ?"

"It Reads, 'A Souvenir Of Dubai', On The Back !"

"Did Anyone Else See That Film, 2001 ?"

"Who Needs Stone-Henge, Eh !" rolleyes.gif

Edited by Ricardo