Lampang / Lamphun

LawrenceChee

Parents are swinging over for a few days and been here before to CM a few times

They have done most of the touristy stuff around Maerim / Waterfalls etc and and the shopping malls

I was thinking of bringing them to Lamphun & Lampang for somethkng new since they are elderly and not very mobile and doesn't want to walk for more than an hour plus before they need to sit down and catch a breather

Dad likes those cockerel bowls which I think lampang is famous for and I thought he would enjoy that with the horse rides

Any good lunch or areas to have tea venues or things to see there in that general area ?

Thanks

The Riverside

328 Tipchang Rd

Lampang

054 221861

Riverfront restaurant, extensive Thai menu, Good value - look at the set lunches!

We particularly enjoyed the Beef in Red Wine on our last visit.

You will need Google maps to work your way through the one way system or PM me for directions.

The Riverside

328 Tipchang Rd

Lampang

054 221861

Riverfront restaurant, extensive Thai menu, Good value - look at the set lunches!

You will need Google maps to work your way through the one way system or PM me for directions.

Thanks ! Will use the GPS :-)

The Elephant Conservation Center is worth a stop.

I would support this 100% .

The resturaunts on the way in sell good tasting basic food too. I am sure the chicken in the best kausoi I have eaten was wandering round the tables a few hours before.

Also in Lampung look above street height. Unlike CM there are still some wonderful teak houses about.

Edited by harrry

The Elephant Conservation center is def worth a stop when you are down there. Also, maybe the 'rents would enjoy the horse and buggy city tour of Lampang.

I would support this 100% .

The resturaunts on the way in sell good tasting basic food too. I am sure the chicken in the best kausoi I have eaten was wandering round the tables a few hours before.

Also in Lampung look above street height. Unlike CM there are still some wonderful teak houses about.

Personally I wouldn't bother with any of those places especially Lampang. They have to be 2 of the most boring towns in Thailand.

have to agree with you there .but if your into Temples Lamphun would be the best place in Thailand . as for resturants don't know any good ones. also the road between Lamphun-Lampang is not the best. there is a very good market near Lampang. and yes the elephant sanctuary is sure worth a visit.

I was very disappointed with the horse and carriage ride. You can not see any thing other than to the side To look forward the carriage has a high wall to look at same as looking back. My son and I rode one and when we were not looking to the side view's all we could do was look at each other.

It was how ever an unusual experience and I am glad I took the ride.

Won't be doing it again.

Personally I wouldn't bother with any of those places especially Lampang. They have to be 2 of the most boring towns in Thailand.

have to agree with you there .but if your into Temples Lamphun would be the best place in Thailand

Ha, I didn't comment because I didn't want to get all negative on a non-food topic, but yes.

If I had people to entertain but would want to stay in the North then I'd look at Pai / Mae Hong Son. Or remote areas of Chiang Mai province, such as Om Koi, Wiang Haeng, etc.

If you do go to Lampang then consider the train (not both ways, it takes forever), as it's very scenic. And exciting, I suppose. ;)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

There is a lot to see in Lamphun. Thebig temple in Lamphun is Wat Haripunchai. Its interesting. there is a covered bridge over the river across from the temple. the bridge is used as a site for selling local goods. There is a local museum in downtown Lamphun-- interesting as the city dates back to 800 AD. Id definitely stop at the Elephant Conservation Center. there is a huge temple in lampang south of the city-- That Luang?--- Its very old and totally different from most temples. You can take a horse carriage ride around the surrounding town that i found very interesting.

Ha, I didn't comment because I didn't want to get all negative on a non-food topic, but yes.

If I had people to entertain but would want to stay in the North then I'd look at Pai / Mae Hong Son. Or remote areas of Chiang Mai province, such as Om Koi, Wiang Haeng, etc.

If you do go to Lampang then consider the train (not both ways, it takes forever), as it's very scenic. And exciting, I suppose. ;)

Ditto on Wiang Haeng. The roads though narrow are in good shape for the most part. Many excellent views on the way and in Wiang Haeng itself. You can drive up a hill to a temple on the Myanmar border which has interesting views as well. A lot of natural beauty to see although it's a bit disturbing to see entire hillsides in places cleared for agriculture.

Grin

Seems to me like an excellent place to take them. I would be willing to bet all of the naysayers have been there more than once.

They have no idea of what you are talking about when you say your parents are old and an hour walking would be about it for them.I wonder how many of them could keep up with there own kids if they just turned them loose and said do what you want to do go where you want to go. They would be pretty tuckered out in an hour or two.smile.png

As for the train I was told here on Thai Visa a long time ago you could go in the morning and come back in the afternoon. Having your parents along you might want to scope out the possibilities open to you in the time allowed and the location of the train station.

When I was there I couldn't help but notice there was a lot of bossiness with signs in English. They must have some expats there.

As for the train I was told here on Thai Visa a long time ago you could go in the morning and come back in the afternoon. Having your parents along you might want to scope out the possibilities open to you in the time allowed and the location of the train station.

That is possible, but exceptionally tiring. Also, the return train will be late by anything from 1-3 hours, so you're stuck at the railway station for a while. So it's best to take the train TO Lampang, and then make your way back any other way, which also means you can stop at the Elephant Hospital.

When I was there I couldn't help but notice there was a lot of bossiness with signs in English. They must have some expats there.

A lot of it is just to be fashionable and look international. Also if you're an expat in Lampang you're pretty likely to speak decent Thai. (It's Chiang Mai (town) that's getting all Pattayafied with a a breed of expat thinking they're entitled to their every need and whim in their own language.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

have to agree with you there .but if your into Temples Lamphun would be the best place in Thailand

If you do go to Lampang then consider the train (not both ways, it takes forever), as it's very scenic. And exciting, I suppose. wink.png

Yup, was up in Wiang Haeng yesterday. Lovely up there. Tried to visit a place nearby that is supposed to be interesting, the former headquarters of the Chinese National Army (Kuo-min Tang or KTM) with a very interesting history but they were closed. Only open November-March. The village was interesting. Many ladies dressed in traditional Chinese dress with parasols, etc. All the Chinese restaurants closed this time of year too.

But much more beautiful scenery and much more interesting than Lampang or Lamphun. We go to Lamphun often as the g/f buys direct from many factories there. People always look very bored there. I'm always in a hurry to get out of there.

• Like 1

Also spent yesterday in Lampang with the family (but didn't see all the TV members who must have overrun the town - smile.png ) Found a nice fish restaurant on the river, visited some of the really beautiful Burmese Temples (pic), poked around the sleepy town with it's old wooden houses etc. which is much more like the Thailand one pictures instead of what Chiang Mai and Chang Rai have become due to tourism and development. It was a great day, taught my boys some Thai history, ate traditional ice cream etc. but one had to search out anything besides the big temple attractions which was part of the fun (But I did do an early morning reconnaissance on my bicycle while my gang slept in the hotel). I often find my favorite experiences in Thailand are in the boring places where there is nothing to do!

post-101742-0-68946000-1374672051_thumb.

• Like 1

Was down at lampang yesterday and we enjoyed it

Did all the touristy stuff, horse rides elephant camps , visiting the local snake markets and went to the sheep place for tea ...the new mall there was nice too although the food court prices was higher than the norm

A good relaxing afternoon although the drive back with the traffic was a tad insane for a while

It's always nice to go to a new local. If it is some thing you have never seen before. It how ever can be boring if done to often.

I was to the understanding that there was several historical spots in Lamphun? Not enough to make a habit of visiting but worth a visit.

Lampamg is a great weekend trip!... Take the train down... Have the carriage take you from the train station to one of the little riverside hotels - the one suggested above is great!... On Saturday night the street along the river turns into a walking street. And one street up from the one along the river there's a Thai restaurant in a old style two story building that serves great food and ice cold beers!... Venture across and down the river where there is a old style wood house that can be toured for free... And the evening carriage ride is a treat!

• Like 1

Lampamg is a great weekend trip!... Take the train down... Have the carriage take you from the train station to one of the little riverside hotels - the one suggested above is great!... On Saturday night the street along the river turns into a walking street. And one street up from the one along the river there's a Thai restaurant in a old style two story building that serves great food and ice cold beers!... Venture across and down the river where there is a old style wood house that can be toured for free... And the evening carriage ride is a treat!

Yeeee ha! What fun!

Did all the touristy stuff, horse rides elephant camps , visiting the local snake markets and went to the sheep place for tea ...the new mall there was nice too although the food court prices was higher than the norm

A good relaxing afternoon although the drive back with the traffic was a tad insane for a while

What's the local Snake Market all about?

Also spent yesterday in Lampang with the family (but didn't see all the TV members who must have overrun the town - smile.png ) Found a nice fish restaurant on the river, visited some of the really beautiful Burmese Temples (pic), poked around the sleepy town with it's old wooden houses etc. which is much more like the Thailand one pictures instead of what Chiang Mai and Chang Rai have become due to tourism and development. It was a great day, taught my boys some Thai history, ate traditional ice cream etc. but one had to search out anything besides the big temple attractions which was part of the fun (But I did do an early morning reconnaissance on my bicycle while my gang slept in the hotel). I often find my favorite experiences in Thailand are in the boring places where there is nothing to do!

Nice photo and i think you might look into cleaning the sensor on your camera.

It's like a market close to the highway just before town. Big market and lots of snakes in it for tonic soups and meat

Another great thing to do there is to take advantage of all the photo ops, I found some almost derelict temple like the one pictured with it's solo monk. The photo, taken with my SLR, on my laptop looks great, maybe an upload glitch, let's see if this one, taken w/an iPhone in the early morning w/poor lighting, comes out better, but thanks for the suggestion.

Hey Laurence, are the snakes for sale alive or skinned and ready to cook?

post-101742-0-83901500-1374728642_thumb.

Edited by junglechef

Another great thing to do there is to take advantage of all the photo ops, I found some almost derelict temple like the one pictured with it's solo monk. The photo, taken with my SLR, on my laptop looks great, maybe an upload glitch, let's see if this one, taken w/an iPhone in the early morning w/poor lighting, comes out better, but thanks for the suggestion.

Hey Laurence, are the snakes for sale alive or skinned and ready to cook?

What I was referring to about the sensor cleaning was if you look at the 1st photo of the temple and look at the sky in the left hand side you will see some small dark spots. That is dirt on the sensor. Not always visible, depends on the f stop being used. Some DSLR's have a setting in the setup menu where it will automatically clean upon start up or when you choose. I don't intend to be picky but these things jump out at me.

• Like 1

It's like a market close to the highway just before town. Big market and lots of snakes in it for tonic soups and meat

I believe there is a 'jungle market' located between Lamphun and Lampang, and It's NOT Kad Tung Kwian Market. I think it's between KTK Market and Lampang. Anyone with the exact location or GPS co-ordinates?

I remembered reading somewhere about this jungle market but could not find the article again, despite googling.

I'm not into game meat, if it's there I'll drop by and look see.

• Like 1

JC what was the fish restaurant you found on the river?

Thanks for the note on doing reconnaissance via bike in the morning, Great idea.

I normally walk but walking is too slow for true reconnaissance, so D'uh! bike is a great ideafacepalm.gif

Sometimes one gets into a rut and all it takes is for someone to state the obvious to help you get out whistling.gif

Thanks dude!

• Like 1

The restaurant was Pla Pow Pak Sot (see pic.) which I just happened upon while riding as I was getting real hungry. I thought it to be good, not great, but when your taking what you find and have no expectations and come across a decent place anywhere in Thailand with real food (meaning cooked with purpose) it can be a treat. I had the Tom Yum Pla God (Red tailed Catfish) whose texture was a bit rubbery but I always order locally sourced food when I can as it's interesting to try something different. If your destination dining you might want to try Aroy One Baht as it got rave review on Tripadvisor, one of the only restaurant sites I trust. I didn't get a chance to as we were in take-it-as-it-comes mode this part of our trip which also included Sukothai and Kamphaneng Pet.

Thanks for the advice PETDCAT as I would have never have known and am always looking to improve.

post-101742-0-25030700-1374839710_thumb.

• Like 1

They have 2 or 3 tourist shows a day there.

My wife was in the show for 4 days after taking the Mahout Classes and we had the time of our lives there.

Youtube

for more use YouTube search words Wimolnan tecc

The ladies might also like to see the Umbrella factory outside of CM (Bo Sang) and the Art factory beside it.

Not much walking involved and very interesting.

Another video

Edited by tampasailor
  • Like 1

The Riverside

328 Tipchang Rd

Lampang

054 221861

+1. there is also an inexpensive but pretty decent restaurant called aroy one baht 5 mins away, plus weekend Market is ok I guess. Not a tremendous amount to do in Lampang too be fair.