Receivers & Powered Sub from US

st11x

Hi,

I am thinking of taking my receiver and a powered sub from the US back to Thailand. Is it possible to have the power supply replaced so they can operate under 220V without a step up transformer? Is that cost effective or should I just try to sell them here?

I am bringing my speakers back since they are not powered.

thanks

Matt

Amps and speakers are stupid expensive here. Get them from HK or Singapore if you can.

I brought my speakers over here and they work great. I got a powered sub woofer from a local supplier.

Worst case, get a power converter for your amp. But don't forget to use it! I forgot on one device and it lasted all of 1 second.

Thanks! I bought a HTiB from Central couple of years back and it was quite expensive for a basic set. That is why I thought maybe I could bring the one I have back which is of a higher quality/function.

Guess it still makes sense to sell them. I am relocating, so there is some duty free allowance for this sort of thing.

thanks

Matt

Suggest you sell them and buy a new here. Conversion can be done but not worth the price. You can get equal or even better here.

Yeah, but keep in mind that high end A/V equipment costs double here what it costs in the US. It just breaks my heart when I go out and spend 45,000 baht on a receiver while the same damned thing in the 110V model is going for half that on Amazon in the US.

I don't know what the OP knows about Thailand, but there are also immense problems here finding anybody competent to do technical work. The standards that you take for granted in the US, simply do not exist here. If I were going to do the conversion, I would try to get it done in the US BEFORE coming here. An electronics shop there can order the necessary components to do the work, and you'll know it was done right.

You could replace the transformers with equivalent VA rating - not difficult if you are handy with a soldering iron. Have a look inside - main power wire will go to transformer.

Just change tran from 110 V to 220 V. Have done this myself - but if you are not confident then ask around when you get here for the best local repair man - they should be able to do it for you.

Also look at specs for rec. & sub - sometimes the tran will be dual input, just change to 220V. Or perhaps input is multi voltage - 110 - 240 VAC.