Samui Immigration RE: Retirement Extension

For the past few years I have received my retirement extension w/o problems by handing in all completed forms and copies with an envelope on top containing the 1900B. Someone mentioned to me recently that all farangs must now pay 5000B or they wouldn't receive their extension.

Has anyone on TV received their extension recently from SIO and did you encounter any problems? If your extension is refused I know that you can complain to the embassy, DSI, and Bangkok Immigration, but that will still leave you w/o your extension. I suppose you could establish a temporary residence in Suratthani and then use that office or leave the country and get a non-imm visa and then extend that, but those are expensive options. Any ideas?

Edited by parallaxtech

Why this money in envelopes ??

I get my marriage visa done in Surat Thani .. No problems or envelopes ....so far at least thumbsup.gif

What he is saying is he puts the correct amount in an envelope & hands it over.

Last year the young girl asked me for 5700.00 which is visa + multiple entry , correct amount.

My wife had hers done in April no dramas.

A good friend of mine went for his retirement extension last Thursday (18th). My friend has been here for many years and refuses to pay more than 1,900 baht.

The Birdman asked him for 'the new fee'. My friend said no way. The Birdman kept him at the office until 5 pm but my friend did leave with the extension and did not pay any extra money.

This is the second time that the Birdman has done this to my friend in the 10 years or so that he has been living here.

Thanks for the responses so far. Someone told me that you have to be able to prove that you live on the Suratthani mainland, not Samui, in order to use the SMIO so can anyone verify that? I would rather go there and keep my blood pressure down but don't want to be told there that I have to process it through SIO. I go in there with only 100B extra in my wallet just in case they ask for more so I don't mind sitting and waiting. I will let you know what happens in two weeks.

They have been running this 5000 extortion for as long as I have been here.

I just put 1900 baht in an envelope.

Maybe you need to provide some proof this is going on. For me and a few members on here have never had a problem maybe you just look shifty.

Please don't take your experience as an absolute judgement.

I get comments about the visa experiences at Samui Immigration about 5-10 times per week (shop).

Roughly 50% report not the least problem ever. Of course the same for everybody who uses agents.

A few % get problems for their attire, rightly so!

I 'guesstimate' about 20-30% have problems with 'birdman' just because of his present 'needs' (which are many!), without any connection to official rules/conditions. Some can jump the (artificial) hurdles, many cannot.

No wonder - not many souls left to be sucked dry! guitar.gif.pagespeed.ce.Rjd-vqhNlw.gif

• Like 2

Why this money in envelopes ??

I get my marriage visa done in Surat Thani .. No problems or envelopes ....so far at least thumbsup.gif

Hi all, suratthani immigration is the best immigration in thailand. Most who goes there does not encounter any problem, especially when $$ is concern. They dont ask for it. The worst i ever encounter is songkhla immigration, the worst ever in thailand, in songkhla not hatyai immigration. Hatyai also not that helpful but still better than songkhla immigration. I always thumbs up for suratthani immigration office.

A good friend of mine went for his retirement extension last Thursday (18th). My friend has been here for many years and refuses to pay more than 1,900 baht.

The Birdman asked him for 'the new fee'. My friend said no way. The Birdman kept him at the office until 5 pm but my friend did leave with the extension and did not pay any extra money.

This is the second time that the Birdman has done this to my friend in the 10 years or so that he has been living here.

"The Birdman"....nicely put......I know him for donkey years, still not enough in his pockets..........poor guy!

• Like 1