Good gym in upper Sukhumvit

Trembly

Mods : I wasn't sure if this should go in the health, sport or Bangkok forums so I just bunged it in here for now. Please move as you see fit.

I've just had a rather traumatic break up and instead of moping about I have decided to get fit.

• I'm not particularly interested in cardio work-outs for the time being as I'm already pretty lean.
  • I'm more interested in putting on some muscle and doing it right, so the gym should have knowledgeable instructors. I speak fluent Thai so English speaking staff are not necessary.
  • Ideally within striking distance of On-Nut.

All help and advice greatly appreciated! smile.png

you dont need to pay some dimwit in a gym to teach you about putting on muscle. google is your friend. if you are talking about correct form, that is why gyms have mirrors. that can also be obtained via google.

Edited by farang000999
  • Like 1

Yes, I agree with farang000999...there is SO much you can do without plunking down money for a gym, and you also have to consider their horrible reputation in Thailand for hard sells and rip-offs (California Wow, anyone?).

I do burpees, otherwise known as "the prison workout"...look it up on Youtube, you'll find lots of instructional videos. These things kick your ASS. And the ONLY thing you need to do it is your own body and a room big enough to do a pushup in! Dips and pull-ups are also very good...most of the larger parks in Bangkok will provide you with the equipment for that, for free, from 5 am to 9 pm...don't know what's out by On Nuch, but Benjasri is just a short Skytrain ride from where you are (Phrom Pong station)...they have everything you need. BTW, dips, pullups and pushups are the ONLY things Robert DeNiro used, at age 48, to get the amazing body he had in Cape Fear...Google it. I know, yet another prison reference, haha (I've personally never been, but those guys' situation is a good model, to show what you can do with just your body, and with crap nutrition even!).

Sprints are also very good, if it's fat you're trying to get rid of (you just said "get fit," without any specifics)...and those you can do in Benjasri or a similar park as well. Google "HIIT" (high-intensity interval training) to get some ideas. Good luck!

With burpees, you can start with just one the first day, then on the second add another, etc...I did that and stopped at 40, which I now do three days a week for "maintenance". When I started out, I was dying at just five...

Ridiculous to advise someone who wants to go to the gym to train alone at home...

Are so broke that you cannot even pay a gym ?

If you are referring to me you are mistaken, my gym is something you probably could not afford.

sorry i see your not referring to me.. i train at home in my home gym.

Edited by robblok

I know a bloke who only did workouts with his body weight and a skipping rope and he was the fittest, most flexible guy in the gym and had the best stamina.

I worked out with weight and cardio for 16 months in the same gym and at the end he was stronger, more flexible and more powerful than me, even though I could bench and lift a lot more than him and I was pretty fit.

In my experience its the blokes who are flexible and do core exercise that are the winners, not the blokes benching and squatting.

The advantage of joining the gym though is the support and motivation that other people can give. If your a motivated person anyway then no need to join.

So I think you can get where you want either way..its up to your own desire in the end,

Thanks for the replies.

I've got precious little fat as it is so I couldn't care less about fat burning exercises. That's not to say that I completely disregard cardio fitness; I may start a cardio work-out like a proper martial art after I've reached my muscle-building goals.

I did think about just doing body weight exercises initially, but decided against it because part of the idea is to get out of the house, which in some ways can be regarded as the "scene of the crime".

I already do quite a lot of work from home for my business so it's not as easy as just deciding to go and annoy my friends, cruise the girly bars (not really healthy anyway) or spend more time at the office . . . so, gym it is.

Tom,

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about if you say squat is not a core exercise. Just that remark really makes me laugh.

The OP wanted to build muscle.. you don't get that from body-weight exercises. Not as much as from using weights and progressive load.

Thanks for the replies.

I've got precious little fat as it is so I couldn't care less about fat burning exercises. That's not to say that I completely disregard cardio fitness; I may start a cardio work-out like a proper martial art after I've reached my muscle-building goals.

I did think about just doing body weight exercises initially, but decided against it because part of the idea is to get out of the house, which in some ways can be regarded as the "scene of the crime".

I already do quite a lot of work from home for my business so it's not as easy as just deciding to go and annoy my friends, cruise the girly bars (not really healthy anyway) or spend more time at the office . . . so, gym it is.

I never skip my cardio either, its not just for fat burning but for general health. But it does not build any muscle.

• Like 1

If you're not a fan of the gym scene, you could try the fitness centres inside hotels. Most of them offer memberships that are cheaper than the mega clubs, include pools, and there is a lot less people, so you won't be fighting over machines. I've used Emporium and the Millenium, but i'm sure there'll be some further up the line.

The Lab on Sukhumvit 31 is by far the best gym I've come across anywhere.

Sessions are with PTIs only. You'll be benchmarked during your first session and a personal programme with be developed tailored to your goals.

Check it out, it has a great reputation.

• Like 2

Hi, if you are serious about putting on muscle compound movements with free weights are the way to go but you need to have people instructing that.

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/ (this program is great if you can get someone to instruct you in the exercises)

Burpees however nice are not going to build up much muscle, the secret to building muscle is to do it with ever increasing weights, that is why body-weight exercises will never work.

If you want proof I dare the people advising them to compare their body with mine (not showing off but proving a point). Body-weight exercises can only bring you so far.

I was under the impression you were female but even females can put on some muscle.

About mirrors in gym and correct form.. i believe it can help but at first if your a novice you really need someone to instruct you.

If you really cant find anyone and are willing to travel once next month I can help you out. I got my own gym that gives most professional gyms here a run for their money (minus most of the machines) and I can instruct you in some of the compound exercises.

Haha! I confirm that I am male (and that I like females)! tongue.png

It is not my goal to become super-duper huge. I have a similar height and frame to Bruce Lee so a Bruce Lee type body would be more than plenty, in my opinion.

I will however take you up on your kind offer because I always like to learn things from people who know and I am a firm believer in not reinventing the wheel unless it's necessary.

wai.gif

Hi, if you are serious about putting on muscle compound movements with free weights are the way to go but you need to have people instructing that.

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/ (this program is great if you can get someone to instruct you in the exercises)

Burpees however nice are not going to build up much muscle, the secret to building muscle is to do it with ever increasing weights, that is why body-weight exercises will never work.

If you want proof I dare the people advising them to compare their body with mine (not showing off but proving a point). Body-weight exercises can only bring you so far.

I was under the impression you were female but even females can put on some muscle.

About mirrors in gym and correct form.. i believe it can help but at first if your a novice you really need someone to instruct you.

If you really cant find anyone and are willing to travel once next month I can help you out. I got my own gym that gives most professional gyms here a run for their money (minus most of the machines) and I can instruct you in some of the compound exercises.

It is not my goal to become super-duper huge. I have a similar height and frame to Bruce Lee so a Bruce Lee type body would be more than plenty, in my opinion.

I will however take you up on your kind offer because I always like to learn things from people who know and I am a firm believer in not reinventing the wheel unless it's necessary.

wai.gif

That is good wiling to show you how to train and what to do.

Super huge is not something that you get overnight but the way to add muscle is the same. Believe me I also don't want to be super huge though some might consider me big already.

Anyway I will contact you about a date next month (work will be a less then and I have time for things like that)

• Like 1

wai.gif

That is good wiling to show you how to train and what to do.

Super huge is not something that you get overnight but the way to add muscle is the same. Believe me I also don't want to be super huge though some might consider me big already.

Anyway I will contact you about a date next month (work will be a less then and I have time for things like that)

Thanks!

Yes, I agree with farang000999...there is SO much you can do without plunking down money for a gym, and you also have to consider their horrible reputation in Thailand for hard sells and rip-offs (California Wow, anyone?).

I do burpees, otherwise known as "the prison workout"...look it up on Youtube, you'll find lots of instructional videos. These things kick your ASS. And the ONLY thing you need to do it is your own body and a room big enough to do a pushup in! Dips and pull-ups are also very good...most of the larger parks in Bangkok will provide you with the equipment for that, for free, from 5 am to 9 pm...don't know what's out by On Nuch, but Benjasri is just a short Skytrain ride from where you are (Phrom Pong station)...they have everything you need. BTW, dips, pullups and pushups are the ONLY things Robert DeNiro used, at age 48, to get the amazing body he had in Cape Fear...Google it. I know, yet another prison reference, haha (I've personally never been, but those guys' situation is a good model, to show what you can do with just your body, and with crap nutrition even!).

Sprints are also very good, if it's fat you're trying to get rid of (you just said "get fit," without any specifics)...and those you can do in Benjasri or a similar park as well. Google "HIIT" (high-intensity interval training) to get some ideas. Good luck!

You've just got to love these "forget the gym, all you need is a pull up bar" classics.laugh.png

There is a gym on Onnut road opposite the garage just after soi 17, bit expensive if you go month on month as its about 2500 but you can do a year for 10k they have personal trainers not sure how good they are,there is also a no frills gym in the goverment pool complex oposite Shell garage also on On Nut road between Soi 37-39, no trainers there but at 1k per month its cheap especially if you do 3 or 6 months

• Like 1

There is a gym on Onnut road opposite the garage just after soi 17, bit expensive if you go month on month as its about 2500 but you can do a year for 10k they have personal trainers not sure how good they are,there is also a no frills gym in the goverment pool complex oposite Shell garage also on On Nut road between Soi 37-39, no trainers there but at 1k per month its cheap especially if you do 3 or 6 months

That place opposite Max Value is near where I live and it completely slipped my mind! I'll have to go in there for a look. Thanks for reminding me. thumbsup.gif

Or ... try it Thai style ... drop down to the Lumpini park gym.

attachicon.gifbangkok lumpini park gym 1.jpg

attachicon.gifbangkok lumpini park gym 2.jpg

Then maybe a free Aerobics class afterwards, or a jog around the Park.

Cheers for the suggestion mate but Lumpini park is a bit of a pain in the arse to get to.

I'm going to order some hemp protein off the net which would hopefully arrive before I go for my master-class with roblok ;) then I'll see if I still need a gym with instructors.

Tom,

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about if you say squat is not a core exercise. Just that remark really makes me laugh.

The OP wanted to build muscle.. you don't get that from body-weight exercises. Not as much as from using weights and progressive load.

Don't build muscle from body-weight exercise? .... now that's worth a laugh. Where did I actually mention that squats weren't a core exercise. You opened your mouth without thinking...

I said Flexibility and core exercise achieves great results......keep pumping weights pal, it will give you time to think

Tom,

Don't build muscle from body-weight exercise? .... now that's worth a laugh. Where did I actually mention that squats weren't a core exercise. You opened your mouth without thinking...

I said Flexibility and core exercise achieves great results......keep pumping weights pal, it will give you time to think

You obviously have no clue what you are talking about. You get muscle from putting increased strain on muscle within a limited rep range.

Body-weight exercises can only bring you this far as later you will either exceed the rep range or have to add weight (then its no longer a body-weight exercise). Everyone with half a brain who takes this sport seriously knows that. I do dips with added weight (no longer a body-weight exercise then but a great muscle builder)

As I said the ability to increase the load while staying in the same rep range will give hypertrophy. That is impossible with body-weight exercises after a while. The rep range is 5 to 12 (debate-able) but with body-weight exercises you will soon exceed this range.

You were saying that people who do body-weight exercises have more core strength as people who squat and bench-press. Now that to me implied you were saying that squat is not a core exercise while it is one of the major core exercises.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/reps-per-set-for-optimal-growth.html from a respected guy with a scientific background.

Edited by robblok

Tom,

You obviously have no clue what you are talking about. You get muscle from putting increased strain on muscle within a limited rep range.

Body-weight exercises can only bring you this far as later you will either exceed the rep range or have to add weight (then its no longer a body-weight exercise). Everyone with half a brain who takes this sport seriously knows that. I do dips with added weight (no longer a body-weight exercise then but a great muscle builder)

As I said the ability to increase the load while staying in the same rep range will give hypertrophy. That is impossible with body-weight exercises after a while. The rep range is 5 to 12 (debate-able) but with body-weight exercises you will soon exceed this range.

You were saying that people who do body-weight exercises have more core strength as people who squat and bench-press. Now that to me implied you were saying that squat is not a core exercise while it is one of the major core exercises.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/reps-per-set-for-optimal-growth.html from a respected guy with a scientific background.

Hahahah no worries...I am obviously clueless, thanks for enlightening me

Tom,

Hahahah no worries...I am obviously clueless, thanks for enlightening me

No problem always willing to help the less fortunate people, its also nice to see people get back with argument to build their case and strengthen their argument.