SIM card for short visits to BKK

hanno

Good morning TV members.

I go to BKK about once a month, using my roaming SMS from Cambodia. This obviously costs lots of money and I am planning to buy a SIM card when I get there this Wednesday.

I know there are quite a few shops at Swampy selling cards, but which one offers the best package deal? I do want Internet access as well.

Any advice much appreciated.

Have a good day,

Hanno

DTAC has a daily package or Internet starting at THB 69 and weekly for THB 199 if I am not mistaken. AIS and True have similar packages. If you want as well cheap oversea calls I would recommend True though as their minute price starts at THB 1 per minute.

I recently got a Happy SIM. The instructions that come with it tell you to ring the Call Centre to get the language changed to English, but when you ring the Call Centre the recorded message is all in Thai. (TIT) Even after getting the hotel staff to help I still get 2 to 3 SMS from Happy every day, none of which are readable (the Thai language characters come out on my phone as square boxes). Now whenever I hear my SMS tone go off I say "It's Mr Happy!"

However, if like me you just want to make the odd call I guess its fine.

I recently got a Happy SIM. The instructions that come with it tell you to ring the Call Centre to get the language changed to English, but when you ring the Call Centre the recorded message is all in Thai. (TIT) Even after getting the hotel staff to help I still get 2 to 3 SMS from Happy every day, none of which are readable (the Thai language characters come out on my phone as square boxes). Now whenever I hear my SMS tone go off I say "It's Mr Happy!"

Bought a Happy SIM card for the GF and had the same experience. Fortunately, my apartment building manager was kind enough to help her get it up and running, but I was useless trying to follow the instructions on the top-up card, or to get to an actual English language message in spite of several attempts. And she was absolutely bombarded by junk SMS's. Somehow, she burned through 300 baht in a week (no data or international calls- but a lot of int'l texts), and had to retop again. Next time, going with a different provider.

Bought a Happy SIM card for the GF and had the same experience. Fortunately, my apartment building manager was kind enough to help her get it up and running, but I was useless trying to follow the instructions on the top-up card, or to get to an actual English language message in spite of several attempts. And she was absolutely bombarded by junk SMS's. Somehow, she burned through 300 baht in a week (no data or international calls- but a lot of int'l texts), and had to retop again. Next time, going with a different provider.
I have ais no problem with language if your phone is in English that's what it come up in same with Thai once you put monies in it'll tell you how long it last's 300bt for example will give you a 1 month credit put another 300 in two week's later and you will find you have another 5/6 week's credit this will build up to 1 year in total the more you put the more credit.

Re the unwanted tex's just phone them free listen to the computer and press the no: they tell you and all unwanted one's will be gone they say in 4 day's but I have found 2 day's max is the normal. N/B best company to deal with in Thailand. Just ask and it's done.

• Like 1

I have ais no problem with language if your phone is in English that's what it come up in same with Thai once you put monies in it'll tell you how long it last's 300bt for example will give you a 1 month credit put another 300 in two week's later and you will find you have another 5/6 week's credit this will build up to 1 year in total the more you put the more credit.

Re the unwanted tex's just phone them free listen to the computer and press the no: they tell you and all unwanted one's will be gone they say in 4 day's but I have found 2 day's max is the normal. N/B best company to deal with in Thailand. Just ask and it's done.

That's the problem...I can't speak Thai, so how do I ring them to tell them to stop texting? And my phone is in English, but as I say messages don't come in that language..

That's the problem...I can't speak Thai, so how do I ring them to tell them to stop texting? And my phone is in English, but as I say messages don't come in that language..

They have English operators

They may well, but how do you get through to them when you ring the automated message Thai language Call Centre

Exactly.

For AIS, their call centre number is 1175, listen and it tells you to press 1 for Thai 2 for 'other languages', after that press 1 for English They also have Mandarin Japanese and Korean and maybe others.

They may well, but how do you get through to them when you ring the automated message Thai language Call Centre

Exactly.

For AIS, their call centre number is 1175, listen and it tells you to press 1 for Thai 2 for 'other languages', after that press 1 for English They also have Mandarin Japanese and Korean and maybe others.

Thank you ThaidDown.