Russian tourist saved from Phuket killer rip, flash warning issued

webfact

Russian tourist saved from Phuket killer rip, flash warning issued
Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- A proposal to post “Double Red Flag Rip Current” warnings at Phuket beaches gained momentum yesterday after a fit Russian tourist ignored a red warning flag and was caught in a flash rip, leading to a daring and dangerous rescue by members of the Surin-Bangtao Surf Lifesaving Club.

The incident prompted lifeguards to issue a flash rip warning at all west and south facing beaches along Phuket’s west coast.

Lifeguards were on patrol only 150 meters away as the unsuspecting swimmer ignored the red flags and warning signs on Surin Beach and headed for deeper water, one lifeguard explained to the Phuket Gazette.

“As soon as he entered the water, two surf rescue lifeguards were on their way to warn him. But by the time they arrived, it was already too late. The intended warning had become a serious rescue situation,” he said.

The Russian man had jumped directly into a flash rip current, which is a hidden “river” of water flowing swiftly out to sea. Often these rip currents are present where the waves are smaller, and to the untrained eye this may look like a good place to enter the water.

Onlookers watched as the two experienced lifeguards reached the victim, and began to tow him to shore. All three were pounded by heavy surf for nearly six minutes as they made their way back to safety.

“The outgoing tide bumped the existing rip current up to incredible strength and speed. The escape area to tow the victim to shore was very narrow, if we missed it there was another rip on the other side which was pulling through exposed rocks. It was a very dangerous situation. It could have taken us all,” said one of the lifeguards who carried out the difficult rescue.

Phuket’s lifeguards and ocean safety experts are beginning to understand more clearly how, and when, beach swimming conditions are most severe and likely to result in tragedy. Entering the ocean in the wrong spot during this time of year will almost certainly result in trouble for all except expert surfers and lifeguards.

“My idea is to identify when all the danger factors co-exist, and issue a ‘Double Red Flag Rip Current’ warning, in the hope that people will take the danger more seriously,” said the lifeguard.

“The flags will have international symbols for ‘No Swimming’ and ‘Rip Current’ clearly visible. If we can clearly mark the rip current areas and keep swimmers from going there, we can save lives, maybe even our own,” the rescuing lifeguard said.

The lifeguard explained that the main danger factors that create killer rips were:

– High tidal variations of over 2.4 meters, which usually occur in the two days on either side of a full moon

– Surf one meter and above with high wave frequency

– Persistent southwest monsoon winds above 20 km/hr

– Sunny, fair weather

“If the first three exist, but the weather is raining and stormy, most tourists avoid the beach, and we are usually spared,” explained the lifeguard. “But if the weather is sunny, we know there will be swimmers trying to enter the water. If they enter near the rip, it is almost certain they will be in trouble right away.”

Another factor is that the “low” season of yesteryear, when few people entered the water, is now the “green” season. During this time of year the number of beachgoers and swimmers has markedly increased along with record numbers of tourist arrivals on Phuket.

“All beach hotels large and small, as well as the media, should be warning their customers of the severe danger which we predict will last until this coming Wednesday, and then begin to ease. Many hotels have an ‘in-house’ television channel which would be perfect for displaying the warning,” said the lifeguard.

“If everyone does not take this seriously, I fear more lives may be threatened or lost over the next five days,” he added.

The warning applies to all west and south facing beaches on Phuket, and especially Layan, Bang Tao, Surin, Laem Sing, Karon, Kata and Kata Noi beaches.

“If conditions improve in the meantime, we will inform the Phuket Gazette to cancel the warning,” the lifeguard explained.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Russian-tourist-saved-from-Phuket-killer-rip-flash-warning-issued-21715.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-07-22

do they also explain on signboards what their flags mean ? and not just one hidden on a post somewhere ?

in different languages off-course

good that there are lifeguards !

big THUMBS UP thumbsup.gifclap2.gif

do they also explain on signboards what their flags mean ? and not just one hidden on a post somewhere ?

in different languages off-course

good that there are lifeguards !

big THUMBS UP thumbsup.gifclap2.gif

Yes, they do.

I believe that all people who need the help of emergency services due to their own stupidity should be forced to foot the bills. How many times have we seen some stupid idiot trying to sail their boat single handedly somewhere for their own glory only to get caught in bad weather and have to be air lifted etc. at tax payers expense ?! And yet you take care of yourself all your life and end up getting cancer somehow through no fault of your own, just pure bad luck, and you must foot all the medical bills yourself....I say make idiots pay for their idiocy and use the money for people who need help through no fault of their own...just my personal philosophy on life...

I believe that all people who need the help of emergency services due to their own stupidity should be forced to foot the bills. How many times have we seen some stupid idiot trying to sail their boat single handedly somewhere for their own glory only to get caught in bad weather and have to be air lifted etc. at tax payers expense ?! And yet you take care of yourself all your life and end up getting cancer somehow through no fault of your own, just pure bad luck, and you must foot all the medical bills yourself....I say make idiots pay for their idiocy and use the money for people who need help through no fault of their own...just my personal philosophy on life...

Your personal philosophy thwarts development: the need to be better, do better, be faster, be more efficient etc...

The need for humanity to improve, to canoe an ocean, to circumnavigate the globe singlehandedly is a celebration of humanities determination, ingenuity and commitment. I wouldn't call these people idiots I would call them leaders. I would call the people complaining about them people with a very limited philosophy on life...

That said: a Chappy going for a swim in a dangerous place is somewhat different and more idiotic than the events outlined above.

• Like 1

Ive been caught in many a rip before... Its exhaustive work... and I was on a surfboard at the time !

Well done ---- life guards clap2.gif

Why was it exhaustive work? If you know anything about the beach and rip currents, you simply swim or in your case paddle parallel to the beach until you are out of it, never against it. Many times I use rips to my advantage to get out through heavy surf, then turn to the side to get to the waves... The lifeguards here aren't true watermen, like where I grew up, who are true professionals in every sense, not a "club." I have tried contacting the local "club" several times to set up training with the ISLA (International Surf Lifesaving Association), but never a response from the locals here on Phuket.

• Like 1

Ive been caught in many a rip before... Its exhaustive work... and I was on a surfboard at the time !

Well done ---- life guards clap2.gif

Why was it exhaustive work? If you know anything about the beach and rip currents, you simply swim or in your case paddle parallel to the beach until you are out of it, never against it. Many times I use rips to my advantage to get out through heavy surf, then turn to the side to get to the waves... The lifeguards here aren't true watermen, like where I grew up, who are true professionals in every sense, not a "club." I have tried contacting the local "club" several times to set up training with the ISLA (International Surf Lifesaving Association), but never a response from the locals here on Phuket.

figure out where they hang after work and just talk to them

sure some will be open to learn

• Like 1

I really don't wish to detract from the valuable work that these lifeguards perform, but this particular story doesn't quite fit. There are no names (the 'fit' Russian?), or times, and very tellingly, photos (there are always photos).

Personally think that there's been an element of journalistic licence to dramatise what is an acknowledged problem.

Good job lifeguards!

Generally I don't get in the water at the beach and if I do its no more than waist height to cool off. I only really swim when going to some of the islands.

In terms of getting caught in a rip is it assumed I've gone out far enough to see that I'm submerged if standing vertically? Asking that in another way if I enter a rip and stay with water no higher than waist height am I ok or would I notice something different?

Also do you get rips during high season?