Astro down,now what

BOBBYTIN

If you have a legit astro box and have paid your bill, I don't see how they can "turn off Thailand".

i will be happy to pay whatever for a legit box,but where can i do that.i know mine was not,i did not know there was an alternative.

I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. File sharing servers have been targeted by Astro and shared smart cards have apparently all been terminated.

I wasn't going to renew anyway as I only use it for sport, mainly football, and that's moving to CTH. I'm a convert to Thaiexpat.tv for the rest of my viewing.

Bobbytin, if it's the football you need I would suggest you search for threads regarding the Premier League on cable/CTH satellite in Thailand.

Mine is still on, thumbsup.gif perhaps your subscription has run out? There is no warning on that... so just go down and pay the bill...I assume you use a local shop to do that?

You'll get charged a reconnection fee, so good idea to make a note for when due next year.

I can't see how they can turn it off in Thailand either.

Mine is still on, thumbsup.gif perhaps your subscription has run out? There is no warning on that... so just go down and pay the bill...I assume you use a local shop to do that?

You'll get charged a reconnection fee, so good idea to make a note for when due next year.

hi samuijimmy,no mate,i paid for the year,for 3 boxes only last month.i have got the name of 1 supplier,is your supplier here in phuket or samui.??

I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. File sharing servers have been targeted by Astro and shared smart cards have apparently all been terminated.

I wasn't going to renew anyway as I only use it for sport, mainly football, and that's moving to CTH. I'm a convert to Thaiexpat.tv for the rest of my viewing.

Bobbytin, if it's the football you need I would suggest you search for threads regarding the Premier League on cable/CTH satellite in Thailand.

hi madmitch,i need mostly rugby,Setanta, football ,formula 1 and cartoon channels,i have a kids corner.thank you for the advice

You can point your dish to Vinsat 1 and get many English channels or you could go to Asiasat 3 and there are are many English programs news and movies

thanks for that,but are these channels not locked.i will give it a go.cheers

hi samuijimmy,no mate,i paid for the year,for 3 boxes only last month.i have got the name of 1 supplier,is your supplier here in phuket or samui.??

Hi Bobbytin!

Mine is still working ... although power has been out a couple of times today....which always buggers the receiver.... sad.png

Now try this, unplug the receiver and leave it for about 10 minutes and plug it back in, and see if it boots up again.

Every time my power goes of I have to do that..blink.png

My local guy is on Samui, but it is his brother in law in Hat Yai who does the connection.... Last year I took my receiver to an Astro office in Penang & was told it was registered to someone in Hat Yai, so that fitted... I just renewed for a year last month too...

I was hoping to by pass the "middle man"... not easy to do with out a Malaysian address and social security number...

The shop I use on Samui is PSI, he's always been good on service...thumbsup.gif

Out of curiosity what size dish do you guys in Phuket use? Mine is 90 cm...which works well~!

Edited by samuijimmy

hi madmitch,i need mostly rugby,Setanta, football ,formula 1 and cartoon channels,i have a kids corner.thank you for the advice

I have signed up for CTH for 3 years and had the satellite system installed last week. I can confirm that they have 6 dedicated HD channels (131 - 136) reserved for the start of the EPL, about 10 channels for the children (some in HD) and Fox Sports Plus HD, Fox Sports, Fight Sports, Star Sports, Thai sports and Tsports. I watched MotoGP (qualifying and race) last Sunday and Monday mornings. Formula 1 is being advertised for this coming weekend, including practice sessions 1, 2 and 3, the qualifying and the actual race. I am not sure about the rugby - I think I have seen some advertised on one of the channels. Its a very good picture with some 30 channels in HD and quite a good on-screen interactive programme guide. For 599 baht per month (3 year subscription) enjoy!

I have signed up for CTH for 3 years and had the satellite system installed last week. I can confirm that they have 6 dedicated HD channels (131 - 136) reserved for the start of the EPL, about 10 channels for the children (some in HD) and Fox Sports Plus HD, Fox Sports, Fight Sports, Star Sports, Thai sports and Tsports. I watched MotoGP (qualifying and race) last Sunday and Monday mornings. Formula 1 is being advertised for this coming weekend, including practice sessions 1, 2 and 3, the qualifying and the actual race. I am not sure about the rugby - I think I have seen some advertised on one of the channels. Its a very good picture with some 30 channels in HD and quite a good on-screen interactive programme guide. For 599 baht per month (3 year subscription) enjoy!

Which cable company. KPP, KPP Rawai or Phuket Cable? How big a dish did they install? Is it the same size as the one from True & if so does it cut out at the beginning of a storm? I have 3 of the smaller dishes on my roof of which I am only using one at present for True. Getting Setanta for the rugby & the league is a deal breaker for me but EPL is of no interest.

Just paid a visit to my provider. He informed me that at the moment they are busy with replacing Astro with its Vietnamese counterpart. Is not working 100% yet, but next Monday-Tuesday they'll pass by my place to update. This means adjusting the satellite and replacing the box. On a yearly basis this is cheaper than Astro was, but with a new box the first year it will be budget even.

Just paid a visit to my provider. He informed me that at the moment they are busy with replacing Astro with its Vietnamese counterpart. Is not working 100% yet, but next Monday-Tuesday they'll pass by my place to update. This means adjusting the satellite and replacing the box. On a yearly basis this is cheaper than Astro was, but with a new box the first year it will be budget even.

I got an email saying this. My main worry is that the Vietnamese operators do the same as True or Astro and we'll be without TV again.

I'm away right now so when I get back I'll check this and CTH.

The KPP guy was in our soi yesterday & asked him about the packages. Seems like they offer different pricing to KPP Rawai & do not have an HD box. He was talking about 1,200 for an SD box & then the normal 350 per month. Seems like the local cable operators all get their feed from CTH but no one seems to know about a satellite system which Nomad Joe mentioned he has subscribed to but he did not say the name of the local cable company. A friend of mine has KPP Rawai & he paid 500 deposit for a box & gets some HD channels. Then he pays so much per month depending on his package of which there are several levels & he has a feed to 3 rooms. I forget how much but not expensive.

I got an email saying this. My main worry is that the Vietnamese operators do the same as True or Astro and we'll be without TV again.

I'm away right now so when I get back I'll check this and CTH.

Yes, considered CTH as well, but with all the complaints about the local cable service I think I'll wait with using them till they are more reliable with their service.

• 2 weeks later...

After the Astro was down, my landlord has just changed to the Vietnamese provider. Still has a lot of problems. Most of the channels do not have a daily listing of programs. Hardly any description of the program you are watching. I wouldn't recommend anyone changing to this option.

After the Astro was down, my landlord has just changed to the Vietnamese provider. Still has a lot of problems. Most of the channels do not have a daily listing of programs. Hardly any description of the program you are watching. I wouldn't recommend anyone changing to this option.

Agree that there ois not enugh [program information, but no problems at all with reception. Very stable, much more than True or Astro has ever been.

HI,just to update,the feedback i have gotten from suppliers,is the same as madmitch,that the Vietnam set up will not be there for much longer,after a recommendation from samuijimmy,i have gone for the Astro package,25,000b for the first year,15k a year,after that.also 3 sets from CTH,but ,they need chasing,as of yet,we are still waiting,there is also one other point,copyright,if you contact CTH in bkk,they have a separate deal ,she said,for public use,not much different in price.just hope they get their act together,thank you for the feed back and the help.

25,000 for year one, then 15,000 pert year after... WOW!!

Having dumped cable (Rawai) and satellite (True) a few years back I find that price stunningly high for what's available (yes I know Astro's selection is better).

I'm now a torrent junkie and free from cable/satellite's csi/law and order-fest! I now watch Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Downton Abbey, etc within twelve hours of my NA/Euro compatriots in full high def.

Live sports (MotoGP, F1, NHL ice hockey, rugby) all from free web feeds.

Cut the cable guys you're getting milked!

• Like 1

Having dumped cable (Rawai) and satellite (True) a few years back I find that price stunningly high for what's available (yes I know Astro's selection is better).

I'm now a torrent junkie and free from cable/satellite's csi/law and order-fest! I now watch Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Downton Abbey, etc within twelve hours of my NA/Euro compatriots in full high def.

CTH HD cable is the way forward for just over 10k a year Although i do like the pause/record/rewind function with Truevision.

Torrents are ok for the latest series but not for watching the news or bloomberg or music channels etc.

25000 is still cheaper than true platinum,streaming sport is hit and miss. 2000b a month, for what we get is fair. CTH would be great,if i can find anyone with the damn boxes.i dnt need tv or movies,i need,sport ,discovery channels,and cartoons.