Chiang Mai and Hua Hin included in World's Top 21 Overseas Retirement Havens

webfact

come to think of it the only thing left that thailand has going for it is that its cheap. so many of its past appeals have disappeared that it has only that as its draw card now. yeah i should leave but i dont know where to go. none of the other top destinations shown appeal to me. so it's just biding time and waiting for a new opportunity to arise somewhere.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

come to think of it the only thing left that thailand has going for it is that its cheap. so many of its past appeals have disappeared that it has only that as its draw card now. yeah i should leave but i dont know where to go. none of the other top destinations shown appeal to me. so it's just biding time and waiting for a new opportunity to arise somewhere.

But that's the problem. For most people It is cheaper to be miserable in Thailand than in thier home country, therefore Thailand attacts a lot of miserable people.

• Like 1

But that's the problem. For most people It is cheaper to be miserable in Thailand than in thier home country, therefore Thailand attacts a lot of miserable people.

yeah i have to agree, some people are happier to associate with bigger cockroaches than others.

The only good thing about Hua Hin is that it's not Pattaya, with CM, yes it cheaper

than most other foreigner's populated areas but the air pollutions from the burning

of crops and traffic congestions that become no unusual to be stuck in, put

the kybosh on the place.

Actually Hua Hin is great for multiple reasons that in all honesty deserve to be mentioned and surpass 'not Pattaya'. Firstly it is only two and a half hours South of Bangkok so has easy access to the capital. This subsequently gives easy access to other parts of Thailand and Phetkashem Rd that runs through it gives great access to the South and North. Hua Hin is a lot less seedy and dirty than Pattaya, even though it has lady bar scene it is pretty much sectioned off in it's own little area and easily avoidable if one does not wish to frequent it. You can go to all of the markets, restaurants, temples and beaches without being hassled and shouted at by a lady boy.

I have only ever seen violence once in the four years I have been here in Hua Hin, and that was between some drunk Thai teenagers. I think that because HH is seen as a certain someone's favourite place in the Kingdom, generally speaking Thai people respect that and do not wish to bring trouble to this part of the country.

The inner part of HH is quite dense and has a lot to offer, however you do not need to travel far in any direction to either head into the hills for solitude and great views, the countryside that surrounds HH Westward or along the coastline finding more secluded beach locations North and South.

There are many markets, temples, vineyards, national parks and loads more within an hour driving distance. In my opinion Hua Hin has a lot more to offer than simply 'not being Pattaya' and it is the reason why I have spent 95% of my time in Thailand here. Places that are highly revered for retirement and for family vacations are not given this label for no reason at all.

hua-hin_olt-March-2011.jpg

Crap. Now you are going to see an influx of over 60s with their battery powered mini Ferrari dangerously weaving in and out of supermarket halls.

This made me laugh due to the image it created in my mind haha, thank you for the laugh of the day, Somtamnication

american-fat-ass_o_244126.jpg

• Like 1

CM is becoming a Farang Ghetto, it's going to eat itself alive.

On the other hand, I predict a mass exodus within 5 years. As soon as the wall of Chinese and ASEAN money pours in, which it will, it will become the BKK of the North. Over priced and gridlocked.

Those in CM just now should be looking for the next best thing, go buy land there and wait it out. Once they are sick of CM, cash in and move.......get yourselves one step ahead of the game.

It seems from your post that you know very little of Chiangmai. Here's a prediction for 2015. The whole world is F**ked and it won't be from the Chinese or Asean members money flow. CNX will never be a BKK of the North and it is far, I say FAR from being a ghetto. One can see you have no idea what is happening Globally when it comes to the world economy and so I guess wherever you go there you are?

On the other hand, I predict a mass exodus within 5 years. As soon as the wall of Chinese and ASEAN money pours in, which it will, it will become the BKK of the North. Over priced and gridlocked.

Those in CM just now should be looking for the next best thing, go buy land there and wait it out. Once they are sick of CM, cash in and move.......get yourselves one step ahead of the game.

It seems from your post that you know very little of Chiangmai. Here's a prediction for 2015. The whole world is F**ked and it won't be from the Chinese or Asean members money flow. CNX will never be a BKK of the North and it is far, I say FAR from being a ghetto. One can see you have no idea what is happening Globally when it comes to the world economy and so I guess wherever you go there you are?

laugh.png

The Tin Foil Hat brigade cometh. coffee1.gif

I was recently in a Government office, fortunately I speak Thai as the lack of proficiency in English here has been covered many times. I asked them why they didn't learn English as ASEAN is just two years away. They just shrugged. I don't believe the majority of the population have a clue what ASEAN is. I also firmly believe this ASEAN thing won't make a jot of difference.

• Like 1

I was recently in a Government office, fortunately I speak Thai as the lack of proficiency in English here has been covered many times. I asked them why they didn't learn English as ASEAN is just two years away. They just shrugged. I don't believe the majority of the population have a clue what ASEAN is. I also firmly believe this ASEAN thing won't make a jot of difference.

I'll go 50/50 with you on this one, I think the majority of the population have heard of it, and have heard that it's coming down the road in 2015, but they don't understand or realize the implications. My ex did, as did her friends, but she was a business graduate and the majority of her friends were involved in business.

It will make a difference, of that there is no doubt. The money men will make a killing, and you'll see a flow of hot money pouring into the country causing hyper property inflation and the like.

You can be sure that there are hundreds of thousands of Chinese business people alone that will look to divest money out of the Chinese economy, and they will be looking at places like CM and thinking, cheap, cheap, cheap.

Those of us with experience in China know that the Chinese are always, I mean always, looking over their back. They rely entirely upon guanxi for advancement and protection, and if the guanxi shudders, it's a personal earthquake to them.

This is why there's an out flux of Chinese looking to secure overseas citizenship then returning to China to continue with their business. They're protecting themselves from upheaval. I personally know people that are doing exactly that.

Taking China out of the equation, you will see a river of money pouring in from the Hi-So's from Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia and the like too. They too will be looking to divest their wealth out of their home economies for the same reasons as the Chinese. We all know a lot of this money is ill gotten, the best thing to do with it is to legitimize it elsewhere.

This ASEAN structure is a Hi-So structure, you will be shocked at the affect it's going to have. BKK is already at London prices in many areas, I don't anticipate that in CM but there will be another surge in property costs and development, and that's why I said, but land elsewhere, hold just now, and cash in and move when the city gets over developed for you. Get one step ahead of the game.

CM in 10 years will be an entirely different place from today. I predict a Nimman belt around the moat and surrounding areas. Demolition and rebuild will be the order of the day, especially as so many buildings are coming to the end of their lives anyway due to the shocking build quality. When they get rebuilt, a nice little bill will be presented to us all.

Anyone that was here 10 or 15 years ago only will be looking on with dismay already, we will be the same people in 10 to 15 years time bemoaning losing what makes CM what it is today.

I'll go 50/50 with you on this one, I think the majority of the population have heard of it, and have heard that it's coming down the road in 2015, but they don't understand or realize the implications. My ex did, as did her friends, but she was a business graduate and the majority of her friends were involved in business.

It will make a difference, of that there is no doubt. The money men will make a killing, and you'll see a flow of hot money pouring into the country causing hyper property inflation and the like.

You can be sure that there are hundreds of thousands of Chinese business people alone that will look to divest money out of the Chinese economy, and they will be looking at places like CM and thinking, cheap, cheap, cheap.

Those of us with experience in China know that the Chinese are always, I mean always, looking over their back. They rely entirely upon guanxi for advancement and protection, and if the guanxi shudders, it's a personal earthquake to them.

This is why there's an out flux of Chinese looking to secure overseas citizenship then returning to China to continue with their business. They're protecting themselves from upheaval. I personally know people that are doing exactly that.

Taking China out of the equation, you will see a river of money pouring in from the Hi-So's from Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia and the like too. They too will be looking to divest their wealth out of their home economies for the same reasons as the Chinese. We all know a lot of this money is ill gotten, the best thing to do with it is to legitimize it elsewhere.

This ASEAN structure is a Hi-So structure, you will be shocked at the affect it's going to have. BKK is already at London prices in many areas, I don't anticipate that in CM but there will be another surge in property costs and development, and that's why I said, but land elsewhere, hold just now, and cash in and move when the city gets over developed for you. Get one step ahead of the game.

CM in 10 years will be an entirely different place from today. I predict a Nimman belt around the moat and surrounding areas. Demolition and rebuild will be the order of the day, especially as so many buildings are coming to the end of their lives anyway due to the shocking build quality. When they get rebuilt, a nice little bill will be presented to us all.

Anyone that was here 10 or 15 years ago only will be looking on with dismay already, we will be the same people in 10 to 15 years time bemoaning losing what makes CM what it is today.

I stand by what I've already stated. Sod the Chinese, you forget where you are. The Thais will cherry pick 'this law' 'that law'. They don't give anything away. They're just very good at making you think they are.

• 2 weeks later...

Why do I love Hua Hin ?

Basically, it is one of the very few places in the Kingdom where I can feel the real thai life, with its small rural markets while to be able to drink a good wine in a luxury place (hyatt or Intercontinental) late in the night

No place is perfect, but just try to understand and love thai people, and you will feel your life is better

STOP.

The article is quoted out of context. Grades were given.

Based on its 12 category grades, each destination was given an overall, final grade.

Four destinations were "A's" overall, as follows:

Cuenca, Ecuador Georgetown, Malaysia Medellin, Colombia Panama City Beaches, Panama

There were multiple criteria. Hua Hina and Chiang Mai showed up in some categories. That's all the article says.

Did they have a grading for most rude Chinese tourist, Chiang Mai wins hands down

I lived 7 years in Chiang Mai, starting in 2002. I liked the place then.

As the years rolled by , at some point with the incredible increase in traffic,

and the unbearable air pollution during burning season, I chose to move to Pattaya.

After a few years here, I think the next place I will move to will be Hua Hin.

I've had to go to C.Mai twice in the past two months - for biz reasons. I leave as quick as I reasonably can. It's not at all 'my cup of tea.' 'To each his own,' as they say. Btw, I challenge anyone here to name one park in Chiang Mai. There aren't any.

Chiang Mai doesn't need any city 'postage stamp parks' like New York or Bangkok. It's surrounded by nature within easy reach in all directions.

• Like 2

I've had to go to C.Mai twice in the past two months - for biz reasons. I leave as quick as I reasonably can. It's not at all 'my cup of tea.' 'To each his own,' as they say. Btw, I challenge anyone here to name one park in Chiang Mai. There aren't any.

Chiang Mai doesn't need any city 'postage stamp parks' like New York or Bangkok. It's surrounded by nature within easy reach in all directions.

Last time I checked, suburbs and mildew sided shop-blocks are spreading out in every direction. It's funny you mention Bkk, because it has one of the lowest park-space-to-population ratios of any city worldwide. Lower than Chiang Mai, if that's possible. NY city's Central Park is a lot larger than a 'postage stamp.' Same for London's Hyde Park. Toronto has hundreds of miles of meandering bike trails. How many miles does Bkk or C.Mai have? ....about 1.

Btw, I challenge anyone here to name one park in Chiang Mai. There aren't any.

Suan Buak Hat.

Kanchanpisek Park

Do I win something? wink.png

Are they located within the city? where? Do they have any sizable trees to speak of?

You guys are depressing me. My grand plans to move to CM in 2016 sound like a pipe dream that will be totally unobtainable by then. I'm looking at around 100k a month in income from pension and property rentals from the US. Sounds like its gonna be a paupers existence by the time I make the permanent move. Is it really gonna be like this?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

The Hua Hin fans must have been to close to people smoking jaba....

How on earth can you say that Hua Hin is the real Thailand - one of the most touristy places in the country....?

I am in the real Thailand - the Bangna-area of Bangkok. The number of Thais living here I am not sure of, but it would'nt surprise me if it's the double of the Thai-population of Hua Hin...

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Chiang Mai is a horrible place to live!

Overcrowded, traffic jams all day and night, pollution, no trees or parks, backwards - just to name a few things that make life living hell here!

Better look for other places, stay away - don't come here it's not worth it !

You have been warned!

• Like 1

Chiang Mai is a horrible place to live!

Overcrowded, traffic jams all day and night, pollution, no trees or parks, backwards - just to name a few things that make life living hell here!

Better look for other places, stay away - don't come here it's not worth it !

You have been warned!

Yea, but is it too expensive? :)

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Suan Buak Hat - on the moat

suan-buak-haad-park.jpg

Kanchanpisek Park -

IMG_0648.JPGattachicon.gif.pagespeed.ce.eFBhf2OPKe.gCapture.JPG

Ok, good effort. In Thailand, they're considered good park material. In a farang country, they wouldn't rate as parks, per se - maybe someone's decent front yard.

If you go to an island and there's one type of small white gecko in residence there, all the residents might think "wow, what a big and magnificent lizard!" ....because they may not know better.

P.S., I've got more park land on either one of my 3 parcels near C.Rai, than C.Mai has in all of its city parks combined. It's a matter of perspectives.

National park-viewpoint--Queens rose gardens--temple-- picnic areas-all within short M cycle ride out of town.--super view of airport from hight.