True and their disgusting SMS-spam

ricku

Hello everyone.

I'd just like to ask if there is any way to block the anoyong SMS-spam from True (and other companies that somehow has sniffed out my telephone number)?

I am so fed up with their "blablabla happy happy-5555-bullshit." I get at least 6 - 10 spam messages each day, and I really want it to stop.

When I asked True if they could stop the spamming, they did not even understand what I ment.

Any app that I could use to block them? My device is a Samsung Galaxy S3.

Edited by ricku

Most spam SMS for all operations come from 3rd parties - i.e. those ppl who ask you for your number to register something (i.e. for "warranty" ). If its a new number, it could be the previous owner who bestowed you the benefits :)

Solution - call them up, and ask to put on the no spam list. I am on it and rarely get any. (i am post paid, not sure about prepaid).

I had the same problem, went to the True shop when paying the bill and asked the lady if it was possible to be removed from these ads. She took care of it but said that there may still be some third-party ones out of their control. Since then, barely anything non-essential :)

I had the same problem, went to the True shop when paying the bill and asked the lady if it was possible to be removed from these ads. She took care of it but said that there may still be some third-party ones out of their control. Since then, barely anything non-essential smile.png

Did the same. Told them that I didn't read Thai and asked if they could turn them off. Done with no problem.

David

• Like 1

I had the same problem, went to the True shop when paying the bill and asked the lady if it was possible to be removed from these ads. She took care of it but said that there may still be some third-party ones out of their control. Since then, barely anything non-essential smile.png

Did the same. Told them that I didn't read Thai and asked if they could turn them off. Done with no problem.

David

Best news I have heard all day !....

It gets worse. Some of these messages are part of a money stealing scam.

If you don't carefully read the first in the series and opt-out, each succeeding SMS will bill you for b50 or so which is (legally!) deducted from your account.

Apparently most of these scams are courtesy of Facebook and/or Google selling your personal details.

It is also partly due to the incomprehensible American system where the receiving party gets to pay for incoming SMS's.

As they come from outside the system (eg India), there's not much the phone company can do to stop them, other than blocking international numbers..

I noticed that my girlfriends phone was beeping every 10 minutes or so. It turned out she had dozens of these SMS scams running.

Suddenly I understood why she wouldn't let me put more than 100b in her account. Any more would be instantly chewed up by these mongrel scams.

The 12Call office couldn't help, so I bought her a new SIM card and peace reigns once again. Or at least it will do when she updates her new number with all her friends.

Edited by jackflash

There will be some spamming SMSs that are sent out en-mass to all numbers in a range say 0811 100100, 0811 100101, 0811 100102, 0811 100103.... 0811 999 999. There is no way to bar these unless you identify the sending number (which can be spoofed) and use an App on a Smart phone to block that.

i had the credit on my phone wiped out through one of these scams. i asked 1-2 Call if i could arrange to have the number calling to be blocked, and they advised that this could be done for a monthly fee (I think it was 25-30 baht ). I decided that the easiest way was to get a new number.....problem solved.

Like the other posters said, you can ask True to remove your number from their spam SMS lists. I did exactly the same and said I couldn't read Thai and wasn't interested. If they don't understand you, just visit a shop that has someone that speaks English or call their hotline. Haven't had a spam SMS in over 3 years; no need to change the number at all.

Same thing happens with 123Call where spam comes in several times a day.

I realise that for many in Thailand, paying for software goes against the grain, but if spam really is an issue, it can cheaply be remedied by purchasing Kaspkersky Mobile Security for phones. KMS can filter out Spam and SMS texts. If you can't find it in the shops just go to www.kaspersky.com and purchase it online, get a licence and download it to the phone.

i started getting spam texts every 2 minutes shortly after an incident with my ex g/f, an unknown visitor in her shop at 1 am, my foot and the shop front. i must have got over 200 over the next few days which must have been instigated by her adding my number to something.......very tedious to say the least.

I'd just like to ask if there is any way to block the anoyong SMS-spam from True (and other companies that somehow has sniffed out my telephone number)?

Do you have TrueMove? Or TrueMove H?

Can you share any details on the SMSes you are receiving, other than "blah blah blah"?

Are they coming from TrueMove? TrueMove H?

Does it appear as though you are paying for the services delivered via some/all of these SMSes?

You should be able to ask any service provider to stop sending SMSes which they might originate. You could also ask the service provider for help in cancelling any existing SMS subscription services which you might have accidently become enrolled in, or you can try yo contact the SMS service provider directly to cancel your subscription.

Do this:

call 1331. When the answering machine says, for english click 9. You need to click 9 straight away, otherwise it keeps going in thai.

Then you just tell them to stop marketing sms. They will do that, and it will be effective within 24 hours. Their english is alright.

You can also do it yourself
Punch in * (star)137. When the answering machine says, for english click 9. You need to click 9 straight away, otherwise it keeps going in thai.

Then you click 1, and maybe 2. Listen carefully what they say.

Done.

• Like 1