Should I Move To Pattaya?

wannabeexpat

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why should I wait until I'm rich, old, grey, and in poor health, to come to Thailand?

exactly, you could save all your life then....well, you never know whats round the corner. :o

you sound pretty sensible and realistic so if it's what you want, go for it. :D live your life while you can.

anyway, there's always the option to go home early if need be (providing you have the airfare!! :D).

Wannabeexpat, one thing I have learnt in life is do it now and when you want to as you may never ever get the chance again. I say go for it, you are young enough to get a job back in the US once you are done and it doesn't matter whether it's 6 Months or 5 years that you stay. You will have the time of your life and your experiences will stay with you forever. Cheers and good luck.

I am very skeptical that the OP would have a guaranteed job waiting for him after having dropped out for years. For most American employers, a gap of several years would put you at the bottom of the pile of applicants. They would think either (a) you have no strong work ethic which in America is a cardinal sin, or (:o you were in prison.

Think hard before making this step. There will be consequences.

Edited by Thaiquila

I dont live in Thailand but have spent 9 months out of the last two years there and love it. my advice would be to live outside Pattaya where it is cheaper but close enough to get there in about 30 minutes. That way you can still have the craziness of Pattaya if that is what you are looking for.

So you guys finally decided that he is not a troll afterall, good, maybe he can get some advices now, Mobi, any ideeas, you seem to be the guy who knows everything around here... :o

It's close to impossible for most people to go back and work after a couple of years of mindless debauchery.

Unless you plan to do (or at least try) something constructive over here, you're probably just going to selfdestruct...

Thanks Monty. Good advice. Temperance and moderation are very important qualities. Traveling, learning about other cultures, learning the Thai language, meeting and making friendships, and gaining a new life experience is very constructive.

So Wannabee ...

how come you don't say how much MONEY you have saved up? Who knows, maybe you can stay longer than you think. You will get better advise from experienced people if say.

I have $90,000 US, about 3,400,000 Baht. I figure a budget of about 57,000 Baht to 75,000 Baht per month

I, and a lot of people like me have worked in the deserts of the Middle East and the Jungles of South East Asia for 45 years to stay here and do nothing all day except chat on TV.

If you aint got a pension or 1m US$ in cash then don't live here until you have.

“The first half of life consists of the capacity to enjoy without the chance; the last half consists of

the chance without the capacity.” -Mark Twain

I say; 'Go ahead do it' come over enjoy yourself for nine months

The novelty, changes after 6-9 months; you will need to find something more in your life than beer and bar-girls; what about hobbies? Playing sport?

It would be far better to set yourself a 6-9 month 'holiday' in Pattaya then see how you feel.

6-9 month holiday is good advice. My new plan is to spend Oct. - March in Thailand and April - Sept in the U.S. I'm thinking I could work in the U.S. for 6 months each year and holiday for 6 months each year. Maybe I could do this indefinitely. That way I won't have to deal with the cold and snowy winter in my city and enjoy "prime time" in Thailand. Hobbies = tennis, golf, jogging, hiking, bike riding, reading, movies, etc...

So Wannabee ...

how come you don't say how much MONEY you have saved up? Who knows, maybe you can stay longer than you think. You will get better advise from experienced people if say.

I have $90,000 US, about 3,400,000 Baht. I figure a budget of about 57,000 Baht to 75,000 Baht per month

OK, you are correct. You can't retire permanantly on that. Do you have any additional funds in IRAs or 401Ks and is that 90K outside those pools? You actually could live for a lot less than that amount especially if you "hook up" (probably a poor term here) an honest Thai partner. That would delay your return to what by then might seem like hel_l to you. I still don't think USA employers are going to find much use for your new Thai language skills, should you actually acquire them anyway. Pattaya is probably the easiest place in Thailand NOT to learn Thai.

I am not being at all judgemental. Its just that you are young to quit work and you will have to go back and it will be very painful. I quit work before 50 and I don't nearly have a USA mill, which, by the way, I personally don't think that much is always needed for retirement for an older person in Thailand.

Edited by Thaiquila

I have seen many guys come to Pattaya with a few Million Baht and think it will last them a lifetime, sure they have a good time when they first get there, they don't worry about how much they are spending at first.

After a while they realise that they can't keep living the way they are and try to economise, eventually they have to economise even further then even further after that, eventually they become just another jaded shabby Farang sitting outside a local shop at 10 am drinking the first of his Chang beers for the day, waiting for his new buddies to awaken from their drunken sleeps to join him in the daily slagging off of Thailand and all things Thai.

The Traffic, the Pollution, Thai drivers, Thai men, Thai women, Thai intelligence, Thai politicians, Thai Police, Thai immigration laws, dumb Farangs that send money to bar girls ( secretly wishing someone would be stupid enough to send it to them instead ), Farang tourists that throw money around and give girls too much money, ( Fcuks it up for the rest of us! )....etc etc....

Many come here as fun loving guys that think they have found paradise, many end up jaded, cynical and suicidal.

Welcome to Pattaya. :o

Very good advice. Thanks, I can see you are very wise.

P.S. I'm not going to be throwing money around and causing inflation for all the expats.

I am 56. Retired at age 54. Live in the USA and have less than $1M US. I feel reasonably financially secure, and Thailand is cheaper than the USA. It depends on how you live, but I think half a million is closer to what you need to retire with if you are comfortable with a modest lifestyle. The rule of thumb that financial planners use is that if you invest your nest egg in a balanced portfolio of stock and bond mutual funds you can withdraw 4% a year and never go broke. That figures in taxes, inflation, ups and downs in the markets and so on. 4% of $500,000 is $20,000 a year, which is enough to live modestly in the USA, so I am sure you could live on less than that in Thailand. Of course if you want spend lots of money in bars and on women the money will not last as long.

I agree with the people who say you should do some things when you are young. There were things I could do at 39 that are harder to do at age 56. I agree with the folks who suggest the original poster take a 6 month vacation in Thailand and then reevaluate his situation.

I am thinking of coming to Thailand myself in a few months to see how I like it. I have asked lots of questions in this forum and will be asking more before I come. This is a great place to get information.

It is an advantage to you that you have not mentioned that you have fallen head over heals in love with the first bar girl that you met and that you are exporting your hard earned cash into her bank account in order to take care of her sick buffalo and pay the hospital bills for her very ill mother.

So get on the plane enjoy Pattaya and find out more about the place when you are here.

You will be able to rent an apartment or a reasonable hotel room for 500 dollars or less per month.

Excercise caution and common sense, take everything that is said to you with `a pinch of salt` and remember that it is very easy to blow your money if you are not prudent.

Having said all that you should have a he*ll of as time. :o

No, I haven't sent any money to any girls. Although, when I was in Pattaya last November, I met a girl who tried to get me to send her money. She said "It's a little for you, but it's a lot for me". When she said this, our relationship was over.

I'm hoping I can rent an apartment (with a.c.) for $300 - $400 per month. Man needs very little to survive. I'll try and be prudent.

“A man is wealthy in proportion to the things he can do without.” –Epicurus

Yes you will get board of the beer and bar girls if your 45 plus !!!!!!!!!

Beer and birds for me, you know it makes sence.

Look man don?t listen to all the the old boys here come over and enjoy.

It's amazing what a different perspective different age groups have.

"Old people are fond of giving good advice; it consoles them for no longer being capable of setting a bad example."

-Francois, Duc de La Rochefoucauld

NO place on earth can ultimately live up to all hopes and expectations.

I would go so far as to applaud free choice suicide as another basic human freedom that we all should enjoy, just another option in life, but it really is more polite not to leave a big mess.

It's important to not have great expectations, that way one won't be disappointed.

About your suicide comment. :o:D

The 6 month work/6 month holiday is I think a very good option. I know quite a few people doing just that...

You have a bit money squared away already, so you are perfectly able to buy yourself a small house / condo (just don't buy on the first few stays, take your time to look around!).

Add a motorbike or second hand car to that and then you can stay your 6 months stays here with hardly any overhead. Almost all of the funds you save up during the 6 months working stint can be spending money...

Because of this regime, most guys I know are able to do jobs, requiring horrible hours but commanding pretty good pays and bonusses just because they know their next 6 month holiday is never long away!

Long range truck driving springs to mind, pays pretty good where I come from, especially when the drivers cheat a bit with their time discs :o and don't have/want to be home on weekends. They always get hired again since not too many people want to do that job (no family life etc...).

Others keep their regular job, and take up weekend jobs... Whats the point spending money on nightlife in the West when you're off to Thailand for 6 months a year...

And most importantly, there are no bridges being blown up and you can keep a clear mind of what's going on. Anything unforeseen happens, you just skip a holiday, or postpone it.

Taxwise you are much better off, since your yearly income is much lower, you end up in a much lower tax bracket. (in Europe anyway, don't know much about the tax system in the States).

If you plan it right you can get away with working 3 months / taxyear bringing you almost in the no tax bracket! (work from October till end of March and holiday April till end September, and any year will only have 3 working months)

Good luck, and hope to see you soon!

Edited by monty

To my way of thinking you will in fact be burning bridges if you do as you plan. If you manage to stretch your savings for five years, you will be about 45 when you come back. Starting at the bottom pay with no savings at 45 will most likely seriously hurt your prospects for a reasonable retirement life.

That said I totally understand where you are coming from. I quit my job myself when I was 40 and moved to Bangkok for 14 months. The difference being that I only spent part of my savings, and that I was able to get my old job back with the same seniority when I came back. I have been back now almost three years, and can tell you that it's not easy going back to work again after being "retired' for a while. Having been out of the working environment for five years, would make it almost impossible - at least it would for me. I m now saving every penny I can in order to be able to retire early (at 50).

I guess what I am trying to say is, if you decide to go, it would probably be better to limit yourself to a year or so. Also consider if maybe biting the bullet and saving towards early retirement instead might be a better way to go (if that is a realistic alternative). Most importantly, don't think that all the things you now think is wrong with your life will be any better when you come back - they will just be harder to deal with having lived the easy life for a while.

Whatever you decide, good luck to you.

Sophon

Sound, practical advice. I'm not burning bridges in the fact that my job will still be there when I return. But you are right, I'll be losing a lot of potential income and things will be harder when I return. That's why it's such a big decision for me. My job has been hiring nonstop for the past 5 years. They can't get enough bus drivers. I don't know why, it's an easy job with decent pay. $14/hour to start and $20/hour after 5 years. Plus, plenty of overtime at $30/hour, if you want to work hard. With my good work record, they will take me back in a second. The bad thing is that I will have to start out at bottom pay and I will lose my seniority. You quit your job when you were 40 and were able to go back without losing seniority. Great. I wish my job would let me do that. You didn't say, but it's my guess that your English. I've always admired the quality of life the Europeans enjoy. 35 hour work weeks, 6 weeks vacation, 1 year off for the birth of a child, generous benefits, etc...

So you guys finally decided that he is not a troll afterall, good, maybe he can get some advices now, Mobi, any ideeas, you seem to be the guy who knows everything around here... :o

I already submitted my recommendations in the days when we thought wanabee was a troll.

Now I know better, or if he is one, he's the best troll that has ever existed.

I humbly withdraw my comments, and wish the gentleman the very best of luck - he has had enough excellent suggestions to last him a lifetime, and he should now be in a position to make a very educated decision.

Hope to see you in Pattaya one of these days. :D

but it's my guess that your English. I've always admired the quality of life the Europeans enjoy. 35 hour work weeks, 6 weeks vacation, 1 year off for the birth of a child, generous benefits, etc...

I can see you are very well informed about the uk then.

BTW who the <deleted> was this guy ( -Francois, Duc de La Rochefoucauld )

i cant be bothered to look it up on Google like you have.

Have a nice day.

:o

Is it manditory that you quit your job? Could you just take an unpaid leave of absents? Maybe you could keep your seniority.

Actually, I'm considering the same thing so this thread has been very useful - and I'm not a troll.

The rule of thumb that financial planners use is that if you invest your nest egg in a balanced portfolio of stock and bond mutual funds you can withdraw 4% a year and never go broke. That figures in taxes, inflation, ups and downs in the markets and so on. 4% of $500,000 is $20,000 a year, which is enough to live modestly in the USA, so I am sure you could live on less than that in Thailand.

Mainstream financial planners almost always advice INCREASING your percentage withdrawal (by a small degree) every year to account for inflation. This is totally OK as long as the BEGINNING outflow is small enough. Some planners advise cutting back during down years in the market. Also, remember, very important point, you will not live forever. Unless you need to leave a legacy, history has shown you can't take it with you, and at a certain point, you CAN start eating into your capital. This point upsets many people. It is a shame though that so many people work so hard all their lives and then deprive themselves, only to leave a fortune in their accounts. The most successful people bounce their last check (for the funeral), but not one check beforehand.

Edited by Thaiquila

The most successful people bounce their last check (for the funeral), but not one check beforehand.

I don't know when I'm going to die, so should I start bouncing cheques now, just in case I croak tomorrow ? :o

(btw, can I borrow some money, make that a lot of money, from you ?) :D

Too many people worry too much about retirement money and then when they can afford to retire are too old to enjoy the benefits of a place like Pattaya.

Go for it mate.

It is far better that you work when you are older as the amount of drinking and shagging time seriously diminishes for every year past forty. In short grab it now while you can still party hard.

If you are really keen on Thailand you can always become an English teacher and live in Thailand forever.

The most successful people bounce their last check (for the funeral), but not one check beforehand.

I don't know when I'm going to die, so should I start bouncing cheques now, just in case I croak tomorrow ? :o

Of course, that example is a humorous ideal given to illustrate a point.

I just really get a kick out of super conservative old gits who hoard their money like misers. There really is such a thing as underspending.