Dual Nationality

My son has dual nationality. He was born in the USA, but we moved here when he was 3yrs. old. He is now 14.

When he was born we went to the Thai Embassy and got him a Thai birth certificate. He has both a US and Thai passports. I have met quite a few Thais who have dual nationality, but I have been told that he can have only one. There are people such as Abhisit who has dual nationality. So what is the true story on this.

Your son has dual nationality by way of birth. Both Thailand and the US allow that.

What a lot of people are confused with is that Thai law has the possibility to renounce Thai nationality at the age of 20 (when one becomes an adult). But that is only an option, not a requirement.

Moved to Thai visa forum as more appropriete

• Like 2

^ He likewise as the option to renounce is US Citizenship - he would be ill advised to renounce either, though he might need some good advice when the national service lottery comes around his way.

"... though he might need some good advice when the national service lottery comes around his way."

Better he plans ahead, not wait until then.

Take the classes in high school that will exempt him from the lottery.

• Like 1

my daughter holds us/thai passports and has since she was 4 months old ( now 19)

You son will need regiseter for the draft once he turns 18 so be aware of that.

he would be an utter fool to renounce his us citizenship.

if he is called up, by out runs 20-50,000 baht wherever he is registered on the Tamn Bien Bann

my daughter holds us/thai passports and has since she was 4 months old ( now 19)

You son will need regiseter for the draft once he turns 18 so be aware of that.

he would be an utter fool to renounce his us citizenship.

if he is called up, by out runs 20-50,000 baht wherever he is registered on the Tamn Bien Bann

Not sure if it's still the case but a few years ago it wasn't uncommon for Thai Chinese to move their draft age kids Tabien Baan registration to somewhere in rural Isaan where the number of volunteers outnumbered the conscription places, in which case there was no chance of being drafted.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

"... though he might need some good advice when the national service lottery comes around his way."

Better he plans ahead, not wait until then.

Take the classes in high school that will exempt him from the lottery.

My son now claims that these kids have to go into the drawing anyways.

If you google "Ror Dor" you will find a link to an article in the newspaper we can't quote.

So it seems that there might be some truth to this.

It surprises me because I used to live right next door to the Ror Dor in Din Daeng. A lot of the kids drove themselves there in luxury cars so it would be safe to assume that if attending doesn't get them out of the draft, few (none?) would bother with it.