Ducati Monster 795

bkkgriz

I was reading that some fuels react with the plastic gas tank and causes problems.

On the Ducati Sports Classic forum, many have had issues due to the type of fuel.

Is this an problem in Thailand too?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We are not talking about ducati super bikes. We are talking about thai 795. So this manual is the one you need to look at. Not sure what year the one you linked is but most likely before the class action settlement..

The key here is the wording under important and release ducati from damages

20130728_122917.jpg

Edited by yankee99

People were pretty shocked at how much the services cost iirc. Around 8000b for just a standard service of oil and filters?

Complete and utter <deleted>! IMO there's been a large amount of crap posted on this thread by people who've never owned a Ducati in Thailand.

Calm down lad, calm down.

Firstly, no it's not <deleted>. No complete, utter or any other quantity there of. People were pretty shocked at the cost of services.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/647024-cannot-complain-on-the-japanese-bike-service-prices-here-too-much/

The second part is a question. The answer to which would be 'No, the 12k km service costs just under 7k, and includes the first valve check.'.

Try not to spit coffee all over the monitor and keyboard again.

Edited by Salapoo

But that's not what you originally wrote. "Around 8000 for just a standard service of oil and filters."

Complete and utter <deleted>. :rolleyes:

Altering posts and qoutes is a federal offence here I'll have you know. :D

Now maybe go back and see if you can see the question mark at the end of it. Or does so much anger semi-blind you?

Okay

But that's not what you originally wrote. "Around 8000 for just a standard service of oil and filters."

Complete and utter <deleted>. rolleyes.gif

Altering posts and qoutes is a federal offence here I'll have you know. biggrin.png

Now maybe go back and see if you can see the question mark at the end of it. Or does so much anger semi-blind you?

OMG! In my frothing anger I left out the '?'.

Okay, my bad. My fingers were trembling in uncontrollable rage, I couldn't type straight.

Here's a 12k service bill for a Ducati Superbike, albiet from a few years ago.

Also, Monsters should be a lot cheaper to service than Superbikes.

ducati12kbill_zps4f3f2a93.jpg

Now I hope that's laid to rest any "questions" you may have re. service costs. Unless Ducati Thailand have dramatically increased their service charges in the past few years.

Now we've got a valve check included. Make up your mind!

Recently had a 12k km service at Ducati Chiang Mai which was 6500 baht and included an oil & filter change and valve check. They also put some new tyres on which they charged 850 baht for and rear brake pad needed changing which cost 3200 baht so, yes, Ducati service/parts are more expensive but their mechanics are more competent/professional/experienced than the likes of Honda and Kawasaki (and many have had training by Ducati in Italy too) and their parts are imported so what do you expect!

I did think 850 baht for a tyre change was expensive but they did have to get it done elsewhere as they didn't have a balancer so that would have increased the cost but my last one was done at Cockpit, which also included being balanced, and was 200 baht so quite a bit cheaper. We all know the price of imported parts/bikes here is high so can't complain about the pad price either, when I got home I ordered two sets of HH front pads from the UK which were cheaper than Ducati's price for one even with shipping costs so if you want to keep costs down then order the parts you know you need yourself from UK or America.

• Like 1

Okay

Complete and utter <deleted>. rolleyes.gif

Altering posts and qoutes is a federal offence here I'll have you know. biggrin.png

OMG! In my frothing anger I left out the '?'.

Okay, my bad. My fingers were trembling in uncontrollable rage, I couldn't type straight.

Here's a 12k service bill for a Ducati Superbike, albiet from a few years ago.

Also, Monsters should be a lot cheaper to service than Superbikes.

ducati12kbill_zps4f3f2a93.jpg

Now I hope that's laid to rest any "questions" you may have re. service costs. Unless Ducati Thailand have dramatically increased their service charges in the past few years.

Sorry again a bad comparison. When talking about the thai 795 it requires the valves be checked at every required service after the first one. Which i dont see in your invoice...This adds a substantial cost to routine maintenance.

The point is the cost is substantially more then japanese made bikes.

Edited by yankee99
  • Like 1

I was reading that some fuels react with the plastic gas tank and causes problems.

On the Ducati Sports Classic forum, many have had issues due to the type of fuel.

I've heard that was a problem in the U.S. leading to the class-action lawsuit. I haven't heard of any of the plastic tanks on Ducatis in Thailand being affected. Maybe the yanks use a different blend of gasohol than we have in LOS. I dunno.

But I still stick to my original point that gasohol is okay if it's not left standing in the tank.

Recently had a 12k km service at Ducati Chiang Mai which was 6500 baht and included an oil & filter change and valve check. They also put some new tyres on which they charged 850 baht for and rear brake pad needed changing which cost 3200 baht so, yes, Ducati service/parts are more expensive but their mechanics are more competent/professional/experienced than the likes of Honda and Kawasaki (and many have had training by Ducati in Italy too) and their parts are imported so what do you expect!

I did think 850 baht for a tyre change was expensive but they did have to get it done elsewhere as they didn't have a balancer so that would have increased the cost but my last one was done at Cockpit, which also included being balanced, and was 200 baht so quite a bit cheaper. We all know the price of imported parts/bikes here is high so can't complain about the pad price either, when I got home I ordered two sets of HH front pads from the UK which were cheaper than Ducati's price for one even with shipping costs so if you want to keep costs down then order the parts you know you need yourself from UK or America.

Let me make sure I'm understanding you correctly. The 6.5k service costs included the 850Bht tire change/balancing and the 3.2k rear brake pad? Or was that on top of the 6.5k service cost? If the 6.5k was just for oil, filters and valve check, then yes that is a bit pricey.

And yes, parts ordered through Ducati Thailand are higher than you will find on the net or if you bought yourself from Europe/U.S. but I wouldn't say exorbitantly so.

Sorry again a bad comparison. When talking about the thai 795 it requires the valves be checked at every required service after the first one. Which i dont see in your invoice...This adds a substantial cost to routine maintenance.

Valve check every service?? Now that is new info for me. So is that only for Thai-assembled Monsters, all Thai-assembled Ducs or all new Ducs across the board?

Of course servicing will be more expensive for Ducatis than for Japanese made bikes. That's obvious to anyone. But Its still not 8k for just oil and filters as Salapoo originally said.

People were pretty shocked at how much the services cost iirc. Around 8000b for just a standard service of oil and filters?

Edited by H1w4yR1da

I've heard that was a problem in the U.S. leading to the class-action lawsuit. I haven't heard of any of the plastic tanks on Ducatis in Thailand being affected. Maybe the yanks use a different blend of gasohol than we have in LOS. I dunno.

But I still stick to my original point that gasohol is okay if it's not left standing in the tank.

Let me make sure I'm understanding you correctly. The 6.5k service costs included the 850Bht tire change/balancing and the 3.2k rear brake pad? Or was that on top of the 6.5k service cost? If the 6.5k was just for oil, filters and valve check, then yes that is a bit pricey.

And yes, parts ordered through Ducati Thailand are higher than you will find on the net or if you bought yourself from Europe/U.S. but I wouldn't say exorbitantly so.

Sorry, wasn't clear. The 6500baht price is just for oil/filter change and valve check. I paid another 3200 baht for a rear brake pad (price in UK less than 1000baht!) and another 850baht for two new tyres fitted. Read on gtrider that pre-09 bikes had the tank/gasohol problem.

Sorry, wasn't clear. The 6500baht price is just for oil/filter change and valve check. I paid another 3200 baht for a rear brake pad (price in UK less than 1000baht!) and another 850baht for two new tyres fitted. Read on gtrider that pre-09 bikes had the tank/gasohol problem.

Its very hot, riding posistion is uncomfortable, maintenance is expensive and the biggest problem it needs 95 benzine...

The pros it has the name ducati.

All untrue.. especially the maintenance being expensive.. I've had a 1000cc Duc for the last five years.

I cannot praise the service at Ducati Thonglor enough. Both for price and efficiency.. I can't vouch for Ducati Pattaya. TBH they seemed a little clueless when I visited but it was shorty after they opened. Yes the purchase price is high.. but depreciation was very low on my bike. This may change as the big bike market expands in Thailand and there are more less expensive Thai produced Ducati models. However compared to the Ducati I owned is Oz (900SS)the cost of servicing here is so cheap is funny. The parts may be a little more costly cos of import duty but you save heaps on the labour rate. Mechanics at Ducati Thonglor are highly trained and several have been to the factory for training.

In five years only problem I had was a dead battery as I forgot to plug the battery charger in while away for two Months. All the old stories about suspect electrics are just that. great to ride, great sound and not to be confused with run of the mill mass produced runabouts.

All untrue?

Why dont you post some of your bills from service intervals like checking the valves and oil changes. This way we can compare the with kawasaki and honda thailand.

You are saying that 95 gasohol is ok?

You are saying the heat doesnt affect the rider more then the japanese bikes?

The riding position is of my opinion ymmv.i

Well the riding position is subjective. I'm 6'3 and around 100kg.. Found it very comfy at speed. Obviously sports bars are going to put more weight on your wrist at low speeds that drag bars on a harley. My 950cc KTM had flat bar and an upright seating postion. Great around town...uncomfortable on the highway..take your pick.

Ducatis are hot ? Air cooled twin versus water cooled twin/four ? I've had both in my time. TBH in Asia it doesn't matter. If you are wearing the correct gear you will be bloody hot whatever you are on. Too hot ? Buy a car with AC.

I checked with Ducati BKK and they said 95 gasohol was fine, they also said 91 benzine was fine. Bikes ECU would adapt to the fuel. No issues with the plastic gas tank, no issues with fuel plumbing, gaskets etc.

I don't have any bills to post..Offshore in China at the moment.. Think the largest I had was 7000 baht ( including pick-up and delivery back to Pattaya) nothing compared to 80-90 bucks an hour labour costs over seas.

Comparing a Ducati to a budget parallel twin is like comparing apples and oranges. My neighbour/mate has an ER6n.. It's a good bike.. Reliable and cheap..but he also has a Ducati.. He bought mine when I decided to sell. It's in a different league.

Some people love sewing machine smooth jap four cylinders.. I've always preffered twins.. Totally different riding experience.

• Like 1

Valve check every service?? Now that is new info for me. So is that only for Thai-assembled Monsters, all Thai-assembled Ducs or all new Ducs across the board?

Of course servicing will be more expensive for Ducatis than for Japanese made bikes. That's obvious to anyone. But Its still not 8k for just oil and filters as Salapoo originally said.

I can only tell you this is in the 795 owners manual under scheduled maintenance. I can't remember but the timing chain also has to be replaced at I think 36k kilos

Well the riding position is subjective. I'm 6'3 and around 100kg.. Found it very comfy at speed. Obviously sports bars are going to put more weight on your wrist at low speeds that drag bars on a harley. My 950cc KTM had flat bar and an upright seating postion. Great around town...uncomfortable on the highway..take your pick.

Ducatis are hot ? Air cooled twin versus water cooled twin/four ? I've had both in my time. TBH in Asia it doesn't matter. If you are wearing the correct gear you will be bloody hot whatever you are on. Too hot ? Buy a car with AC.

I checked with Ducati BKK and they said 95 gasohol was fine, they also said 91 benzine was fine. Bikes ECU would adapt to the fuel. No issues with the plastic gas tank, no issues with fuel plumbing, gaskets etc.

I don't have any bills to post..Offshore in China at the moment.. Think the largest I had was 7000 baht ( including pick-up and delivery back to Pattaya) nothing compared to 80-90 bucks an hour labour costs over seas.

Comparing a Ducati to a budget parallel twin is like comparing apples and oranges. My neighbour/mate has an ER6n.. It's a good bike.. Reliable and cheap..but he also has a Ducati.. He bought mine when I decided to sell. It's in a different league.

Some people love sewing machine smooth jap four cylinders.. I've always preffered twins.. Totally different riding experience.

Yeah, I agree. I'm glad a Ducati-bashing thread seems to have been averted. I like the big Jap inline-4's and the large Ducati twins. They're both great bikes but different beasts entirely. I've ridden with riders on Er6n/f's and they can motor, so I would say they're the best bang for the buck in Thailand. Currently Thonglor are selling 795's hand over fist and are looking to open a large dealer/service in North Bangkok fairly soon to cope with the demand. Thonglor is just too busy.

I can only tell you this is in the 795 owners manual under scheduled maintenance. I can't remember but the timing chain also has to be replaced at I think 36k kilos

I'll give you this. Once Ducatis reach high mileage and are out of warranty, service costs rise dramatically.

Edited by H1w4yR1da

The real answer is .. If you are worried about 5000-7000 baht services.. You need to stick to a cheaper bike that is within your budget. Or if you really want a Ducati you will have to make a few sacrafices or learn to do the valve work/servicing yourself..

The real answer is .. If you are worried about 5000-7000 baht services.. You need to stick to a cheaper bike that is within your budget. Or if you really want a Ducati you will have to make a few sacrafices or learn to do the valve work/servicing yourself..

I think the problem is mainly for Thais who bought the nice shiney Ducati on low monthly finance they could barely afford, then got lots of face without realizing the labour alone is going to be 4,500b every 12k km, before any parts are added.

Wouldn't doing valve work and services yourself void the warranty?

Edited by Salapoo
  • Like 1

I think the problem is mainly for Thais who bought the nice shiney Ducati on low monthly finance they could barely afford, then got lots of face without realizing the labour alone is going to be 4,500b every 12k km, before any parts are added.

Wouldn't doing valve work and services yourself void the warranty?

Yes I guess it would.. But guess I've never put much faith in warranties. All part of the risks in life. I've done just about everything the bar stool experts say you shouldn't do but after 15+ yrs here still all fine and dandy.

It breaks down I either get it fixed or find out how to fix it myself.. Been buying spare parts for my KTM's my old BM and my newer Audi online and shipping for a long time now as easier than sorcing locally. The Duc I had serviced by Thonglor cos it wasn't expensive to me and they really know what they are doing. so no need to find an alternative . the other bikes and cars I sorted myself or took to BKK cos no garage locally had the knowledge or seemed proffessional enough

Made in Italy and assembled in Thailand.

Good bikes.

Incorrect....parts manufactured in both Italy and Thailand then assembled by monkey's that get paid peanuts coffee1.gif

As i've mentioned on another thread, go compare paintwork on Italy bike and Thai bike, not even close

Edited by Rickster
  • Like 1

Thailand is not producing the vital components such as suspension, engine & brakes.

I heard the handlebar is made in Thailand and once heard the wheels & wiring harness are Thai made. Not sure.

I have compared the Thai Monster 795 (490.000BT) against the imported Italian Monster 796 (680,000BT).

The 796 has the nice swing-arm, upgraded wheels and seat. Anything else?

Other than that, they look identical to me.

Of course, their super-bikes are in another class. Stunningly beautiful craftsmanship.

Made in Italy and assembled in Thailand.

Good bikes.

Incorrect....parts manufactured in both Italy and Thailand then assembled by monkey's that get paid peanuts coffee1.gif

As i've mentioned on another thread, go compare paintwork on Italy bike and Thai bike, not even close

The Italians might be paid in pasta, pizza and peroni, but for the extra 240,000 THB I'd want them also to paint my house and do a portrait of me, the Mrs and the dogsbiggrin.png

Thailand is not producing the vital components such as suspension, engine & brakes.

I heard the handlebar is made in Thailand and once heard the wheels & wiring harness are Thai made. Not sure.

I have compared the Thai Monster 795 (490.000BT) against the imported Italian Monster 796 (680,000BT).

The 796 has the nice swing-arm, upgraded wheels and seat. Anything else?

Other than that, they look identical to me.

Of course, their super-bikes are in another class. Stunningly beautiful craftsmanship.

I'm pretty sure the frame is different too?

So basically

Different wheels,swingarm & 795 = 1"lower seat height

Odd that when comparing 795/796 non abs the weight for both are the same

Would think with different wheels/swingarm it would likely be different at least a little

Edited by mania

This one in Bangkok looks like it has some options...colors,Termi's etc. Not sure whats going on in the front of the engine

Although due to conditioning no color seems to look as right on Ducati except red. Although this is a nice color scheme

988687_359858084143779_2147311752_n.jpg

Edited by mania