Where To Get Beer Lao In Thailand

Howdy,

My wife and I don't drink but we want to throw a party for my bro-in-law when he next visits from England. I would like to know where in Thailand to get Beer Lao, his favorite. If it isn't available "under the counter" or whatever within Thailand, is it legal to bring back a case or so from Laos. I'd be willing to go from Chiayaphum to Vientaine and buy it if legal to bring accross the border.

Ken Bower

Chiayaphum Thailand

--------------------

Ken and Rattana Bower

19/1 Moo2, Ban Sakinam, Gudtum

Ampermuang, Chiayaphum, 36000

Thailand

06-090-8686

I always get a case duty free on departure. 6 packs with nice DFS packaging. :o

Should be able to pick it up on Thai side in SriChiang Mai (Opposite Wat Tai , Laos ), Ban Puer or Nong Khai instead of a border crossing. :D

I have 2 cans of the stuff in my fridge, i realy dont know how they got there, i have never tried it before. Should i try it?

No, Beer Lao is incredibly dangerous. Take them out of your fridge and give them to me. I will make sure they are disposed of properly.

I have 2 cans of the stuff in my fridge, i realy dont know how they got there, i have never tried it before. Should i try it?

No, Beer Lao is incredibly dangerous. Take them out of your fridge and give them to me. I will make sure they are disposed of properly.

That will be why they dont allow it in Thailand :o

can't buy it in Thailand and if you could, it would be 100 baht a can up like all other imports. In addition, if you could find it, that would be the cost and the beer would be stale like all other imports due to exhorbitant price. Thailand does not want people drinking anything other than beers brewed within its borders, sad but true. I have never seen another country do this in the world

I've never ever seen beer lao sold in thailand. I have searched BKK high and low for all imports. Imports can be found but are priced way out of reach for anyone who likes to pop a six pack. The reason for these high prices is the enormous tax that the gvt places on imports to protect the Thai brewed crappy beers. Some examples of price are as follows. this is per bottle:

corona-110 bt

bud-110 bt

guiness can-199 bt

victoria bitter-85 bt (best bargain in country)

miller-95 bt

note that these beers are stale in most cases as they must sit in warehouses and store shelves 4ever. never seen a fresh import in this country. also add 50% to prices plus several months extra stale to bars that carry these products

Edited by monochaser

The reason for these high prices is the enormous tax that the gvt places on imports to protect the Thai brewed crappy beers. Some examples of price are as follows. this is per bottle:

corona-110 bt

bud-110 bt

guiness can-199 bt

miller-95 bt

Yep. Here's a small graphic that attempts to capture the disparity between U.S. and Thai prices:

post-25384-1145097364_thumb.jpg

I've never ever seen beer lao sold in thailand.

I saw Beer Lao being sold from a stall outside Nana Plaza yesterday. They were selling the small bottles. It's the first time that I've seen it being sold in Thailand too. It might just have been a special sale because it was Songkran.

The reason for these high prices is the enormous tax that the gvt places on imports to protect the Thai brewed crappy beers. Some examples of price are as follows. this is per bottle:

corona-110 bt

bud-110 bt

guiness can-199 bt

miller-95 bt

Yep. Here's a small graphic that attempts to capture the disparity between U.S. and Thai prices:

post-25384-1145097364_thumb.jpg

yes, good graphic pal. that budweiser for 110 baht in 6+ months old in Thailand also which makes it undrinkable. Bud over 105 days old in USA is pick up by anhueser busch and disposed of because it is stale. In Thailand, the product is never picked up and sold down to the last bottle no matter how horrifically stale the product is. It's funny too because here the bud has a born on date and sell by date stamped on it which is 6 months apart or almost double what bud allows in the USA. Trust me you will never ever see an outdated (over 105 days) bud in USA. here it's all you got