Iran buying 250,000 tonnes of Thai rice

webfact

Iran buying 250,000 tonnes of Thai rice
By English News

13747455613827.jpg

BANGKOK, July 26 – Iran has agreed to buy 250,000 tonnes of Thai rice under a government-to-government contract, according to Deputy Prime Minister/Commerce Minister Niwatthamrong Boonsongpaisan.

The commerce minister said the agreement was reached during his visit to Iran last week. Both countries approved the government-to-government rice contract and the first batch of 250,000 tonnes of rice will be delivered in October.

He added that Iran wants an additional Thai rice of at least 750,000 tonnes. It is expected that Iran will purchase at least 500,000 tonnes of Thai rice next year.

He said Thailand plans to negotiate rice deals with other countries including China, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Middle East.

Brushing aside concerns over tainted rice, the Thai minister assured Iran that Thai rice is up to standard and rice quality checks are allowed before delivery to ensure quality.

This year, Thailand has so far delivered three million tonnes of rice under government-to-government contracts, the minister added.

Mr Niwatthamrong said Thailand’s rice export target this year remains unchanged at 8.5 million tonnes, although exports of only six million tonnes rice is estimated by commercial rice exporters. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-07-26

• Like 2

Notice the subtlety of the fact that no price is stated for this transfer?

Will the 'sale' price be at or above the rice-pledging price? SURE ... big loss of face for the Government is not

When, in reality, the actual price paid will be far, far less ... the difference pocketed as a 'commission? ... whistling.gif

Because we know that the sales price always includes the 'commission'.

Could not help notice they did not mention at what price?

IMO they are selling at a huge loss

I heard yesterday in the Radio that the price will not be disclosed by wish of Iran.... at some point it surely has to become public record, no?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This year, Thailand has so far delivered three million tonnes of rice under government-to-government contracts, the minister added.

Interesting statement as the Thai rice exporters recently stated they were unaware of any rice exports. But with the proven total transparency and honesty of this government who am I to question it?

Oh yee of little faith, justifiably

• Like 1

No.

It will be bartered for oil. Win win for everyone.

Iran finds a country to take its oil subject to international sanctions (not that this has stopped South Korea or India) and Thailand unloads its rice.

• Like 1

I remember reading an interview with the biggest rice dealer in India who clearly stated that there was no such thing as government to government transactions coffee1.gif

So how does India circumvent the international trade embargo on Iran in respect to heavy machinery that has military use? facepalm.gif

I remember reading an interview with the biggest rice dealer in India who clearly stated that there was no such thing as government to government transactions coffee1.gif

So how does India circumvent the international trade embargo on Iran in respect to heavy machinery that has military use? facepalm.gif

I don't think they are embargoed against importing food.

• Like 1

I remember reading an interview with the biggest rice dealer in India who clearly stated that there was no such thing as government to government transactions

Obviously that trader has no clue now does he ???

Iran finds a country to take its oil subject to international sanctions (not that this has stopped South Korea or India) and Thailand unloads its rice.

• Like 1

No.

Oil from Iran - a nice change from terrorist bombers and drug smugglers.

I have to wonder how the pollies will get their sales commission. Not seriously worried though, i'm sure these highly experienced criminals will find a way.

The commissions will be paid in kind, one side picks up a few extra ton of oil, the other a few extra ton of rice,. both inported duty free via government barter contacts. Neith side will monitor what is going out nor coming into port that closely.

Interesting statement as the Thai rice exporters recently stated they were unaware of any rice exports. But with the proven total transparency and honesty of this government who am I to question it?

They are always speaking of gov to gov deals but never any evidence that they have actually gone through. Did they announce that they did a deal with China and to have China deny any such deal?

Notice the subtlety of the fact that no price is stated for this transfer?

Will the 'sale' price be at or above the rice-pledging price? SURE ... big loss of face for the Government is not

When, in reality, the actual price paid will be far, far less ... the difference pocketed as a 'commission? ... whistling.gif

Because we know that the sales price always includes the 'commission'.

This government only loose face if they can't pocket some "commission".

17 miljon ton still wating to be sold plus the rice comming in to the sceme. How long will it take to sell it all?

I think they will repack it all, rise the prize and sell it to Thai consumers.

Edited by Skywalker69

17 miljon ton still wating to be sold plus the rice comming in to the sceme. How long will it take to sell it all?

I think they will repack it all, rise the prize and sell it to Thai consumers.

The new crop is coming. You think Thai's willingly want to buy overpriced 2 year old rice? You think anyone does?

Barter with Nortk Korea yet in return for Nuclear Power????

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

Nor what kind of rice for example 5% broken parboiled?

There are many grades of rice in Thailand which dictates commodity pricing

I wonder how Iran will pay for the rice. Iran's central bank has been just about blocked from doing any sort of foreign transfers due to UN sanctions.

Trade rice for oil, maybe?

Judging by the frequency that Iranians are caught at Suvarnabhumi, the Iranian cartels might have arranged an "ice for rice" deal!

haha

The fact that they have omitted to include the price is typical of this government - either the price is so low that it's embarrassing or someone is getting their pockets filled or both, in any case the exclusion of detail is exactly why this government should resign

• Like 2

I heard yesterday in the Radio that the price will not be disclosed by wish of Iran.... at some point it surely has to become public record, no?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Possibly Iran does not wish it's people to know how much they paid for tainted rice. I don't think the Ivory Coast told their citizens what they paid for the rice they got that was 20% spoiled.

• Like 2

The fact that they have omitted to include the price is typical of this government - either the price is so low that it's embarrassing or someone is getting their pockets filled or both, in any case the exclusion of detail is exactly why this government should resign

Are you suggesting that not all the money they get from the sail will show up on the books?

shocking to think that the Shinawatra clones would let some thing like that happen to the Thailand they love so much.whistling.gif