Making a change from Scotch and beer.

Salapoo

I usually drink some scotch (with ice, tiny dash of soda, large dash of water) or beer of a weekend.

I fancy a change though as I’ve gotten a bit bored of scotch. It must be 5 years since I’ve gotten drunk on something other than beer or whiskey though.

Any recommendations for a nice change?

I’m thinking of the red Absolute (raspberry?) with ice and water. Though perhaps a bit sweet for my palate.

Hmmm, decisions decisions…

No Lao Khao thanks. What would you go for?

Recently changed to Vodka myself, usually in the form of a bloody caesar: http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Bloody-Caesar

Cool, good stuff. Looks like a lot of work. I'm not sure the missus could mix it to a satisfactory condition while also taking care of the baby and cleaning up after dinner.

Perhaps I might go on a month or two of experiments. I only drink on Fri and Sat nights, so maybe one weekend of Gin and Tonics, another raspberry vodka etc.

What else are others drinking for a change from the norm?

if the raspberry Absolut is too sweet for you (as it is for me) try the Absolut Ruby Red.

it's grapefruit - pretty sour and goes down well with soda!

Thanks! That sounds more suitable.

Though the advantage of the raspberry is that there is a small 200/250ml bottle available in the 7-11 for 2xx baht. So good for trying it out for one night. If the vodka goes well though, buying a large Ruby Red (and maybe a peach one too) sounds good.

• Like 1

Stopped into Tops at lunch, besides the vodka the rums look interesting.

The Barcardi, which is guess is mass produced white rum, and Mount Gay (I think) brown rum from Barbados.

I don't fancy sweet mixers like coke or whatever, just ice, water, and a little soda if need be. Any nice basic recipes for either?

Stopped into Tops at lunch, besides the vodka the rums look interesting.

The Barcardi, which is guess is mass produced white rum, and Mount Gay (I think) brown rum from Barbados.

I don't fancy sweet mixers like coke or whatever, just ice, water, and a little soda if need be. Any nice basic recipes for either?

Depends whether you are drinking at home, or out and about.

At home I will drink,brandy sours or mojitos.

• Like 1

Recently changed to Vodka myself, usually in the form of a bloody caesar: http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Bloody-Caesar

I thought a Caesar was a morning after drink? Not the cause!

If you don't have a celery stick you might miss one of the food groups!

Good for either end of the drinking cycle. Gin works with the clamatoe juice as well but will not work in a traditional bloody mary with tomatoe juice, found that out the hard wayxsick.gif.pagespeed.ic.tVTSNn-2vr.png

• Like 1

If you mean that as you say you have not gotten drunk on something other than beer and Scotch, as seems to be your wont, and that you want to try to get drunk on something else, or just drink something else, then why not try a gallon of Gallo Red, or I think some used to call it Diega Red, or some other name.

Anyway, it has a rich earthy flavor and when I was young like you, I thought it was good.

Now, I really prefer anything Irish that comes in a bottle, including Guiness, the brown stuff, and also single malt whiskey, but the REALLY good stuff.

If you have a lot of money, please drink the whiskey, and if you do not, no harm done in drinking the Gallo.

There seems to be too much snobbery in choice of spirits and wine these days, and after about 10 glasses of anything it is not the snob appeal that counts anymore.

I no longer am very fond of getting falling down drunk.

I have learned the wickedness of my earlier ways.

So I just would drink for flavor and a slight buzz, perhaps.

And then in this case it be to sip the Irish whiskey in the glass, and lick the Irish of the lass.

• Like 1

Looks like a lot of work. I'm not sure the missus could mix it to a satisfactory condition while also taking care of the baby and cleaning up after dinner.

Tell us you're not serious about that. Does she also have to wipe your arse after you been to the loo ?

Well, I just checked and it turns out that the Gallon of Gallo Red is something of a real antique these days. With Gallo Red in the Gallon Jug, you are talking about USD6.39 per 1 gallon, and I know because I used to sell it back in the early 1970s. It was the best table wine you could buy by the gallon. Truly great quality for the money. I wish it would come back, but I guess there are just too many snobs around in America who do not know a good thing when they see it.

These days Gallo seems to have become much more upscale, but I have not had a chance to drink it because they do not seem to export much to East Asia, or SE Asia.

Even on Google Image, you still cannot find a picture of these distinctive large green bottles.

Don't sell it short, if you still can find a few of these 1 gallon Jugs of Gallo Red still unopened with the screw cap untampered with.

rossi-jug.jpg

It looked something like this but the bottle was sort of green, and the label said Gallo, also the wine was so dark red you could not see the light pass through it, even if you were holding it up to the sun. It looked more like blood in the glass but it tasted fine.

Edited by OldChinaHam

Looks like a lot of work. I'm not sure the missus could mix it to a satisfactory condition while also taking care of the baby and cleaning up after dinner.

Tell us you're not serious about that. Does she also have to wipe your arse after you been to the loo ?

Isn't that what Thai wives are for? ermm.gif

Edited by Salapoo

If you mean that as you say you have not gotten drunk on something other than beer and Scotch, as seems to be your wont, and that you want to try to get drunk on something else, or just drink something else, then why not try a gallon of Gallo Red, or I think some used to call it Diega Red, or some other name.

Anyway, it has a rich earthy flavor and when I was young like you, I thought it was good.

Now, I really prefer anything Irish that comes in a bottle, including Guiness, the brown stuff, and also single malt whiskey, but the REALLY good stuff.

If you have a lot of money, please drink the whiskey, and if you do not, no harm done in drinking the Gallo.

There seems to be too much snobbery in choice of spirits and wine these days, and after about 10 glasses of anything it is not the snob appeal that counts anymore.

I no longer am very fond of getting falling down drunk.

I have learned the wickedness of my earlier ways.

So I just would drink for flavor and a slight buzz, perhaps.

And then in this case it be to sip the Irish whiskey in the glass, and lick the Irish of the lass.

Unfortunately the sole importer of Guinness in to Thailand (cans and bottles, not kegs for bars) stopped around 2010/11, so no cans of the black stuff unfortunately around. I do keep some wine around for cooking and have with Italian food whenever I cook it.

Got the 200ml of Raspberry Absolute, 240b, it's okay but a bit headachy now as it's just about finished and it's been years since drinking vodka.

I've a happy taster pack of Jameson, J 12 yr old and J 18 yr old in my bar from when a friend brought it over as a gift. Nice stuff alright.

Will have to decide for next Friday night, perhaps rum, ice and water. Why the <deleted> not! :D