Surayud calls for unity among Thais

Lite Beer

Er what is this thread about? I thought it was about Surayud but suddenly it's all about Thaksin, the standard response apparently when there is any criticism of the reactionary right (though in this case rather light and friendly given Surayud's basic decency).

But actually it does matter what Surayud means.I am almost certain he means unity among all classes of Thais not just the proto fascists like Pitak Siam and similar.THe problem I suspect in this report lies not with Surayud but the slovenly journalism of The Nation.

My dear jBoy, did you read what I wrote? I was just referring to the (may I call it) fact that whenever someone you may not like is quoted you tend to interpret negatively, cast doubt on honestly, etc., etc.

The very fact that you 'wonder' if k. Surayud meant 'pitak siam' when saying 'unity amongst Thai', even if you then dismis it as 'assume not' already implies a lot of your point of view. To describe my comment as 'standard reaction on critisism of the reactionary right' is just the 'no meaning' catchphrase which is so common in certain academic circles it would seem. 'amart' and 'unelected elites' is also so meaningless after all the discussions of the last few years. Unless you want to refer to our dear criminal fugitive billionair why is not elected but skypes-in to tell how his country should be run. Of course that's not reactionair, just totally morally wrong.

I'm sure k. Surayud meant 'unity amongst Thai' with Thai being the Thai people. That includes not only the 'proto fascists' but also the 'democracy loving ones' and even red, yellow shirts and white or red masked groups. IMHO

If you mean I point out ignorance, lack of logic and extremism.. then I must plead guilty.I may be acerbic but equally try to be accurate.

Did you read what I wrote? I was giving General Surayud, whom I rather like, the benefit of the doubt.I am almost completely sure his unity plea was to all Thais.

If you think "unlected elites" and "amart" have no meaning perhaps you should pay a little more attention to the realities of Thailand.In fact if you donr recognise oir understand these concepts, observations are likely to be meaningless.That's not a political point.Defending the amart is perfectly valid but simply absurd to maintain it doesn't exist.

Incidentally in the politest way possible may I suggest you slightly amend your posting style.I see what you are trying to aim at - a learned light and detached style but making one or two penetrating points.It works quite well for intelligent but waspish Oxbridge dons whose first language is English - not so well for those - to put it tactfully - less equipped.

Thank you very much for your kinds words.

As for unelected elite and amart, those terms have been used and abused to the point where lots of very different people can be mapped under those terms / labels. But enough of this fun, I'm of to my garret to search for that age old Tshirt with "Stalin for Democracy". Have fun, my dear Cambridge don wai.gif

What does such a platitude of 'Unity among Thais' actually mean? To me, this phrase is uttered by politicians desperate to hear the sound of their own voice, rather like 'protect the Nation' or 'move forward together'...

The Privy Councilor also declined to comment on former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra becoming an adviser to the Office of the Crown Property Bureau.

The possibility of Thaksin becoming an adviser was mentioned in the infamous audio clip between him and Deputy Defence Minister Yuthasak Sasiprapha

You people busy reading the Alzheimers advert ??? Wow!!

Almost every senior army officer or senior civil servant has a net worth that is inexplicable in terms of salary received and/or inherited wealth.

Why not concentrate on a certain family whose wealth is easily explainable - by corrupt business deals, tax evasion, and conflict of interest deals carried out while in office?

Because it is as you say easily explainable (and also not relevant to this thread).I think you mean tax avoidance (legal) not evasion (illegal) if you are referring to the Temasek deal.

Another example of the usual suspects invoking Thaksin quite irrelevantly whenever discussion strays on to ground where they are uncomfortable (ie massive corruption in militaorry and public sect)

massive corruption in military and public sector.

Are you implying that you are comfortable with that?whistling.gif

Almost every senior army officer or senior civil servant has a net worth that is inexplicable in terms of salary received and/or inherited wealth.

Why not concentrate on a certain family whose wealth is easily explainable - by corrupt business deals, tax evasion, and conflict of interest deals carried out while in office?

Because it is as you say easily explainable (and also not relevant to this thread).I think you mean tax avoidance (legal) not evasion (illegal) if you are referring to the Temasek deal.

Another example of the usual suspects invoking Thaksin quite irrelevantly whenever discussion strays on to ground where they are uncomfortable (ie massive corruption in military and public sector)

As I didn't mention Thaksin, irrelevantly or otherwise, I now have to wonder who you usually suspect. My point was why look at inexplicable wealth, when there are obvious examples of corruption in political families, a group you left out, before descending to the second level. However massive the corruption in the military and public service, and there's nothing "uncomfortable' about it, it is minor compared to that currently being carried out by politicians.

Then again, that is your discomfort zone, when comparisons are made of the relative value to Thais of their lost opportunities compared to democratic principle.

Another example of the usual suspects invoking Thaksin quite irrelevantly whenever discussion strays on to ground where they are uncomfortable (ie massive corruption in military and public sector)

As I didn't mention Thaksin, irrelevantly or otherwise, I now have to wonder who you usually suspect. My point was why look at inexplicable wealth, when there are obvious examples of corruption in political families, a group you left out, before descending to the second level. However massive the corruption in the military and public service, and there's nothing "uncomfortable' about it, it is minor compared to that currently being carried out by politicians.

Then again, that is your discomfort zone, when comparisons are made of the relative value to Thais of their lost opportunities compared to democratic principle.

Actually you did refer to Thaksin - dragged in as usual out of context.Or if his family was not a certain political family - explain which one you had in mind.

There is a kind of hypocrisy at work here.For some the corruption in political circles is used as a weapon by the reactionary right to beat the concept of democracy.It's not so much corruption they hate as democracy itself.And to cap it all among the most shrill supporters in this proto fascist group are senior military senior officers who live the life of millionaires, having never been paid more than very modest salaries.Go figure.

Corruption is a blight on Thailand at all levels.There is no level which is "better" than other levels.