Elderly Englishman robbed at gunpoint in his own house

Rimmer

Many years ago I went to a seminar / talk in Pattaya about security, presented by an English guy.

Some points that I recall in regard to safes:

- If you buy a safe, take it home yourself well wrapped in plain paper / cardboard etc., with help from 1 trusted friend if really needed.

- Select the best time, perhaps after dark with all lights out, to take it out of your vehicle and into the house.

- Don't give the shop your address, and pay by cash not credit card.

- If it's a good quality safe it probably comes with instructions on how to bolt it to the floor etc.

- Take the challenge and install it yourself, even if you have to buy a heavy duty drill etc.

- Put it inside of an existing cupboard if possible, and ensure the existing cupboard has at least a simple lock and keep it locked at all times.

- Make strict rules for yourself and follow them in regard to when / who is present when you unlock the outer cupboard and the actual safe.

- When needed wait, even if it's inconvenient, to open up.

- Don't install it in a main room where others will likely see it or see you open it.

- Don't tell anybody that you have a safe.

The presenter had a set of PowerPoint slides with lots of photos, news clippings etc., to support all of the above.

excellent advice

Yes if you're a simpleton.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very simple crime to solve ! Just call up the number of the mobile phone that was stolen along with the contents of the safe, tell whoever that answers that the owner of the phone that they are using are the winners of the monthly Samsung sweepstake phone prize of 100,000 Bht, arrange the point of pickup (ideally the nearest Samsung Service Depot) and have the handcuffs ready. Totally simple, Watson smile.png

• Like 1

I see the Pattaya bashers have got their heads out of their rear end long enough to make more inane comments.coffee1.gif width=32 alt=coffee1.gif>

Re the article - That isn't a safe, it's a 2,000 baht piece of junk that could be opened by hitting it with a limp fish. Don't know why the bad guys bothered to get him to open it, they could have opened it in a flash or just wrenched it off the wall. And it's in the most stupid place imaginable - should be concealed in a cupboard or something.

I've got a large free standing safe that weighs about 120kg. Whenever I move house it's wrapped in cardboard so it can't be recognised for what it is, always make sure nobody sees where it is by concealing it inside the house, and only ever open it when by myself. I only have documents in it plus the wife's gold that she paid for - no incentive for her to be involved in the infamous "inside job" that the TV pundits are so good at speculating on. She knows I have short arms and deep pockets and will not be replacing the gold if "stolen". Anyway, she's got the combination and second key.

Keep cash in the bank, much safer.

Many years ago I went to a seminar / talk in Pattaya about security, presented by an English guy.

- If you buy a safe, take it home yourself well wrapped in plain paper / cardboard etc., with help from 1 trusted friend if really needed.

- Select the best time, perhaps after dark with all lights out, to take it out of your vehicle and into the house.

- If it's a good quality safe it probably comes with instructions on how to bolt it to the floor etc.

- Take the challenge and install it yourself, even if you have to buy a heavy duty drill etc.

- Put it inside of an existing cupboard if possible, and ensure the existing cupboard has at least a simple lock and keep it locked at all times.

- Make strict rules for yourself and follow them in regard to when / who is present when you unlock the outer cupboard and the actual safe.

- Don't install it in a main room where others will likely see it or see you open it.

The presenter had a set of PowerPoint slides with lots of photos, news clippings etc., to support all of the above.

excellent advice

Yes. Common sense, actually.

Why use the word "Looted" when it was clearly armed-robbery/burglary.

Also bit draft to have the safe in plain sight on the wall - when the air-con unit is cleaned it will be public knowledge in hours.

I have had a large safe visible in my living room for years while living in Pattaya. During that time, i've had innumerable tradesmen, delivery men, air-con cleaners, not to mention a few ladyboys, working or visiting the house and I've never been robbed or burglarized. Either just bad luck on this guys part or bad choice of intimate company.

Having safes in homes is quite common in Thailand so i don't think it would have any connection to a home being targeted.

• Like 1

hmmm yes he lived, so let's hear it for Pattaya, home of kind thieves! Re: inside job. Maybe he did tell some "tail" (slang for certain type of females, for those of you unfamiliar with the term). Agree "loot" is incorrect term. I think that term was coined back when the Brits were sacking the Chinese palace during one of the opium wars (to promote sale and distribution by Brits, not stop usage, for those not into history). He was lucky.

British Resident robbed at gun point at his South Pattaya home

uk-3.jpg
PATTAYA:--A 67 Year old British resident of Pattaya was robbed at gunpoint after he was confronted by two men on a motorbike in the early hours of Friday.

Mr. John Cooke from Oxford told Police that he had spent the previous evening with friends at his local bar in Soi Baukaow. As he walked home to his house located inside The Village Estate off Pattaya Third Road, he was confronted by two men, one of them was armed with a gun. He was taken, at gunpoint, to his house, where he was forced to open his safe-box.
Full story:http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/96870/british-resident-robbed-gun-point-south-pattaya-home/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2013-07-27

Someone actually mounted one of those dinky toy safes on a wall? It's almost like issuing written invitations to thieves. But then the guy put money inside of it? Amazing. It the safe was already there when he moved in, he should have put a fake Rolex (wait, I forgot...they don't have those here...hmmm, maybe a fake something else) in it as a diversion and put the cash under his bed.

But thank God all it cost him was a phone, 50K and some rattled nerves.

Edited by marell
  • Like 1

Wow 7000 baht left after a nite of drinking...must of been planning a big nite.

Walking home at nite, I wonder if he was inebriated...might have made him a choice target...like wolves separating out the weak from the fereng herd.

Let me guess.

You never take money with you when you go out, and of course you will not get drunk ever.

Needless to mention that you will not walk home at night, as obviously you actually never get out.

I wonder. If on being confronted by one of these gun-toting punks, the foreigner responded by simply refusing and inviting the scum to shoot, would it actually shoot? No flight, no open hostility, no provocation; just a calm, simple, "you might as well shoot, I'm not going to do it". Obviously not advising anyone to do this! Just wondering.

Edited by hawker9000

I wonder. If on being confronted by one of these gun-toting punks, the foreigner responded by simply refusing and inviting the scum to shoot, would it actually shoot? No flight, no open hostility, no provocation; just a calm, simple, "you might as well shoot, I'm not going to do it". Obviously not advising anyone to do this! Just wondering.

He will call more friends with more guns, the very thai way. :)

Or, if you cant be bothered with all that palaver, just keep your money in the bank as I do.

I have no safe and I have no need of one. I sleep like a baby every night and don't feel the need to attend seminars about home security.

Even if I lived in a house (and I dont, as I much prefer the convenience and security of a condo) I would still not need to install my own safe.

Or, if you cant be bothered with all that palaver, just keep your money in the bank as I do.

I have no safe and I have no need of one. I sleep like a baby every night and don't feel the need to attend seminars about home security.

Even if I lived in a house (and I dont, as I much prefer the convenience and security of a condo) I would still not need to install my own safe.

You don't keep ANYTHING around valuable enough to want to be able to lock up?! Maybe a nice camera; some jewelry; cellphone; important documents? I agree wholeheartedly with having a bank account, and THB50K is a lot for most people most of the time I guess. But it doesn't actually seem like such a totally outrageous sum to want to keep readily available for an emergency. Now for someone residing permanently to put their faith in such a cheap safe, and mounting it out in the open so prominently, DOES seem like poor headwork. But I can't fault the guy for having a safe. He should've just put a little more thought & effort into it perhaps. I generally hate to see victims endure criticism for the acts, esp. violent acts, of criminal scum.

Unbelivable yet again ! You have a good name pattaya

You right, in Phuket you just get stabbed in the heart over a handbag.

While in bkk shot just by being in the wrong place

I understand Manchester has it's vulnerable areas as well..........................

as does Cleveland , Perth, London , Auckland & anywhere else there are potential victims.

Better to be alive than in Hospital or a Grave.

But as a pro I have to say that is no more a 'safe' than any tin box & installing it in a wall in plain sight beggars belief.

They only needed to strike the combo for it to spring open anyway.

Thankfully no one was killed or seriously injured

coffee1.gif

Walking home at nite, I wonder if he was inebriated...might have made him a choice target...like wolves separating out the weak from the fereng herd.

Let me guess.

You never take money with you when you go out, and of course you will not get drunk ever.

Needless to mention that you will not walk home at night, as obviously you actually never get out.

Wrong on most counts...what's actually in that jbrain anyway?

I take a couple thou with me when I go on he town...enough for a few drinks and a ladyboy; I don't drink alcohol so on never getting drunk you are correct. I would actually recommend this to all the alcoholics in town as may make you less a target as you stumble home after a nite of drinking; and yes, I never walk home as I own two cars.

Unbelivable yet again ! You have a good name pattaya

You right, in Phuket you just get stabbed in the heart over a handbag.

While in bkk shot just by being in the wrong place

I understand Manchester has it's vulnerable areas as well..........................

Along with every other UK city and town from Dundee to Nottingham. Corby to Redruth. Crime is everywhere. What makes it seem worse here is the ineffective police .... Just my opinion. And as the recession bites here it will get even worse. I have no intention of returning to UK, the land I love; my baby son is much safer here IMO.

Good on the old boy for having the 50k to give easily. It saved his life. Problem is what about the next time. He might be advised to conduct a proper risk assessment and change his personal security arrangements accordingly.

Let me guess.

Wrong on most counts...what's actually in that jbrain anyway?

I take a couple thou with me when I go on he town...enough for a few drinks and a ladyboy; I don't drink alcohol so on never getting drunk you are correct. I would actually recommend this to all the alcoholics in town as may make you less a target as you stumble home after a nite of drinking; and yes, I never walk home as I own two cars.

Yeah you're right, hooking up with a ladyboy prevents you from getting robbed laugh.png

You don't keep ANYTHING around valuable enough to want to be able to lock up?! Maybe a nice camera; some jewelry; cellphone; important documents?

No. As far as portable things go I have a camera worth about 5000B, an Android tablet worth about 15,000B, and old phone worth a couple of thousand. No jewellery, gold etc. Non-portable things are worth a lot more (desktop PC, monitor, large TV, hifi) but the likelihood of anything being stolen out of my condo is so small as to be negligible.

And I do have insurance for it all anyway. In cash I have between 5-10,000B at most.

My car sitting outside my condo is worth much more than my other possessions( it's worth more than many new Pattaya condos for that matter!), and I dont lock that in a safe either. Of course it is insured too, and the 24/7 condo guard who sits about 15 yards from where I park it is also a reassuring feature.

Normal people keep documents in safe, so they're protected from fire. Unless your a drug smuggler or pimp and need to hide your cash like most Thai politicians, then id advise using a bank. If your going to keep cash hidden make sure its in a floor vault not something that can be picked up by a group of people. (Keep a piece stashed in the your vault and turn the tides!)

You don't keep ANYTHING around valuable enough to want to be able to lock up?! Maybe a nice camera; some jewelry; cellphone; important documents?

No. As far as portable things go I have a camera worth about 5000B, an Android tablet worth about 15,000B, and old phone worth a couple of thousand. No jewellery, gold etc. Non-portable things are worth a lot more (desktop PC, monitor, large TV, hifi) but the likelihood of anything being stolen out of my condo is so small as to be negligible.

And I do have insurance for it all anyway. In cash I have between 5-10,000B at most.

My car sitting outside my condo is worth much more than my other possessions( it's worth more than many new Pattaya condos for that matter!), and I dont lock that in a safe either. Of course it is insured too, and the 24/7 condo guard who sits about 15 yards from where I park it is also a reassuring feature.

Yeah, I never worry about Theft from my condo, what are they gonna steal, a bed, a sofa, a TV, a fridge freezer, a <deleted> computer and carry it down 13 floors with none of the 3 security guards seeing them, or none of the cameras identifying them ?

No Chance, condos are the safest option in Pattaya, I know Condos are not for everybody, but I never ever felt completely safe in any house I used to rent.

In my condo, I'd leave my entire wealth of 30,000 Baht for months without worrying about it at all, and when I went back, I know it would be there. smile.png

In a house, it's different.

I've been on holiday so missed much of the news........

BUT

For those saying it might have been his g/f or an inside job......

How about a repair man, electrician, plumber, Internet technician or any other numerous people who might have been at the house to work and noticed the safe - especially as it was in plain sight.

Maybe he opened it to pay a worker.

A quick word with a dodgy mate and they all have a possible payout.

BUT

How about a repair man, electrician, plumber, Internet technician or any other numerous people who might have been at the house to work and noticed the safe - especially as it was in plain sight.

I do not care what you think on this subject, all i want to know is if you brought some gifts from your holidaybiggrin.pnglaugh.pngtongue.png

BUT

I do not care what you think on this subject, all i want to know is if you brought some gifts from your holidaybiggrin.pnglaugh.pngtongue.png

Yes, but they are far too flimsy for you to wear wub.png

One item, bought after our recent visit to the hospital and me saying nurses look sexy in uniforms.....

^^^ Is all off topic, unless a nurse or similar had visited the old guys house and informed some of her mates about the wall safe !! (that may keep this reply open laugh.png ) or not giggle.gif

Seriously though, there are safes on sale out there that open with one number dialled of the front. Why anyone would buy one is beyond belief.

I have just been informed by a friend that this is not the first time this guy had money stolen from this safe at this house, and last time it was a lot more!

He also said that his ex gf has a new Thai boyfriend.

Wouldnt take Coloumbo to figure this one out BIB!

John is a really nice guy and does not deserve this.

Im just so glad he was not hurt.