Drift, 1/4 Mile, Off-road

teej

I've heard that there are tracks in bangkok for drifting, racing the 1/4 mile (for money against chosen competitors), and and off-road course... does anybody know where these courses are, how much it costs to get in, and what days they are open? I get bored sometimes and I guess i'd like to check out something new in bkk... would be nice to see the drifting track and what the thais are bringing to the racetrack. Any info would be appreciated. Cheers.

teej,

The 'official' drag strip is Bangkok Drag Avenue at Khlong 5.Proffesional purpose built track with good timing system,restaurants,bars and good seating/stands.Events are held every saturday from 2-3pm until 2am.Went last night for the 30th time and it was good fun.60 baht per person.

As for Drift,The track behind Seacon Square has Drift events,but I really dont know the schedules.I live 10 mins away so I just go there on the off chance.Try the third Sunday of every month.Free.

Off-Road,I have a friend who runs a 4x4 club and holds events all round the country,if u need more info on off-road,I will ask him.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply Skyline. Good info. I went down there this past saturday with my gf, we took forever to get there cuz we were lost out of our wits, and finally when we got there they were closed... haha well I guess it was a holiday...

Maybe I'll check it out this Saturday, sounds like a cool way to kill a night instead of going to the same old clubs, etc. Do you drive a Skyline?

hi Teej,

Yep,last Saturday was a holiday but it will be on again this weekend.It is a bit of a nightmare to find the track,but its worth the journey to watch the racing and have a few beers there. The full schedule is available on www.bangkokdrag.com and www.rcweb.net .

No longer have a Skyline unfortunatly,far too overpriced here and the spare part prices are a joke too.Now I drive a Civic with a B16A Type R engine.What about yourself?

Sky.

hi Teej,

Yep,last Saturday was a holiday but it will be on again this weekend.It is a bit of a nightmare to find the track,but its worth the journey to watch the racing and have a few beers there. The full schedule is available on www.bangkokdrag.com and www.rcweb.net .

No longer have a Skyline unfortunatly,far too overpriced here and the spare part prices are a joke too.Now I drive a Civic with a B16A Type R engine.What about yourself?

Sky.

Yeah I figured if I'm free I'll go check it out this weekend. The "yaam" told me that "rod gengs" race from around 4pm till like 2am, even later if there are still cars there... thought that was kinda nuts, but could be fun for a change just to watch... he also said something about Penthouse being there, but I couldn't quite understand him as he had a non-central thai accent... but if it's about girls, then even better...

I checked out those sites, but the thing is I can't read thai :o I've looked at rcweb a few times before it seems like there is lots of cool info on there but too bad i can't read any of it...

The skyline is a beauty. I always had a soft spot for them back in the states, but when i was there, they only had right hand drive and they were too expensive for me... as for me here in bkk, i drive a BMW 740i. No mods, just 20" Alpinas and an upgraded sound system. That B16AType R can be a screamer, imagine you could run 14second quarter mile? Not a racer myself, but I do like cars.

Since you seem to know bout cars also, do you know a good shop where I could get some new springs and dampers for my 7? With the 20" Alpinas, I get some rear wheel rubbing when at speed and i hit a big dip in the road for example... I would like to stiffen up the suspension to avoid all of that... just kills me to hear it.

Thanks Sky,

teej

Hey Teej,

Not sure about the Penthouse night at the drag.....but if its on..Il be there!The event on the 22nd is a TNG drag night,the info line is 01 575 5589.

Regarding your BM,are you currently using stock springs?Also if the offset is large on the Alpinas there can be a problem with clearance.3 shops that specialize in suspension are:

Clever Modify 02 948 1448/02 578 4777

Pro Shop 01 865 6498

Lavo Modify 02 992 2775 www.lavomodify.com (They have 4 outlets)

I cant recommend any of the shops as ive never used them,but a couple of Thai mates have.Good luck with the car,bet it looks good!

My B16 is giving me headaches and I just discovered im using the wrong ECU,so another 7K baht to pay out for!!!!

Regards,

Sky.

Hey Teej,

Not sure about the Penthouse night at the drag.....but if its on..Il be there!The event on the 22nd is a TNG drag night,the info line is 01 575 5589.

Regarding your BM,are you currently using stock springs?Also if the offset is large on the Alpinas there can be a problem with clearance.3 shops that specialize in suspension are:

Clever Modify 02 948 1448/02 578 4777

Pro Shop 01 865 6498

Lavo Modify 02 992 2775 www.lavomodify.com (They have 4 outlets)

I cant recommend any of the shops as ive never used them,but a couple of Thai mates have.Good luck with the car,bet it looks good!

My B16 is giving me headaches and I just discovered im using the wrong ECU,so another 7K baht to pay out for!!!!

Regards,

Sky.

sucks about the ecu, whoops...

thanks for the info sky, though i couldn't get that link to work... anyway, i'll give em a call when i get the chance, cheers.

Hey so I went to the drag stip yesterday afternoon (after I got fleeced on my tyres)... I guess I got there too early (4pm) because I was the first person there except for the event organizers... well I slept in my car for about 2 hours, and woke up to some racing. Stuck around for another hour or so and went home cuz I was just too ###### tired from stressing about getting ripped off.

Anyway, the place is a decent alternative activity for people who like cars, I suppose. By the time I left there were some nutty cefiros doing 12 second quarter miles... this was like 730pm. I can't imagine what crazyness goes on around there after midnight. Maybe next time. For those who have been there late, do the really fast cars come out later?

It's only 60baht to get in, and there are food and drinks on the premisis, and stands to watch the racing. Not bad.

I noticed that a lot of the cars would wait like 5 or 6 seconds after the light turned green to go. Does anyone know why they don't just go on green?

Teej,

Sorry to hear you didnt stay longer....it really gets going after 9pm.Some cars run a 'handicap' which means they wait at the lights even after the other car had already started.This usually happens when 2 cars of different 'classes'.

• 4 weeks later...
Teej,

Sorry to hear you didnt stay longer....it really gets going after 9pm.Some cars run a 'handicap' which means they wait at the lights even after the other car had already started.This usually happens when 2 cars of different 'classes'.

So I finally went again to the track, this time I got there after midnight... and man were you right, those cars were flying.... quarter mile times in the 10's... and some cars that looked like they could be scrap cars that were just awesome on the track. I left just before the finals just to avoid the rush out, but there was this purple car that was fast, really fast. and watching them burnout was pretty cool too. all in all a good time, except there were zero hot girls there, which i guess is to be expected.

anyone know what numbers a stock E36 M3 (Euro) runs in a quarter mile? how bout the E39 M5?

Can I take my bike on the track?

I think they have bike days, but I'm not sure. All I know is that saturday night is for cars... I think Skyline may know if there are bike days, and which days they would be. What kind of bike do you have? Have you ever raced bikes before?

Blackbird.

Nope I have never done anything more than good old fashioned traffic light drag racing.

All good fun though.

I would like to put my bike against a souped up cefiro and see what happens

I don't think you can race your bike against a car on that track, at least not on a track day... but i'm sure anything is possible if you're willing to put up 20K baht saying your bike can beat a car... there will be takers i'm sure... and if the track doesn't work out, just go to chang wattana road on the weekend at night and race your heart away...