New car

poppysdad

We’re getting a new car for Christmas and told to expect it before the years end but a friend has told me not to take delivery until Jan 1st due to the car being considered a 2024 car rather than 2023 which can make a difference when selling on. Does it make much difference?

On 12/20/2023 at 9:26 AM, poppysdad said:

We’re getting a new car for Christmas and told to expect it before the years end but a friend has told me not to take delivery until Jan 1st due to the car being considered a 2024 car rather than 2023 which can make a difference when selling on. Does it make much difference?

No. The date of manufacture is on the VIN plate.

• Agree 1

Further to this topic, my wife has just received phone call from dealership saying car has arrived and what colour screen tints do we want to which my wife replies with the sensible ones and the next question was

”you now go find old monk to decide on what day you come to take car”

So, I think the monk’s decision has more relevance to when we collect car than the registration date. Guess where we are going this morning and it’s not the dealership. 

• Haha 1

For me the model year is much more relevant than the sale year. After all, it's quite possible to buy a 2022 model year car in 2024. And if you go looking for new or replacement parts for your 2024 car, you're going to be very disappointed when the don't fit/work. Also, the infamous Blue Book deals with model year. The only point in the sale year is if you're trying to convince somebody to buy it based on sale year.