Scooter - Bangkok - which one?

Malthus101

Howdy

A friend suggested if I'm staying here more than 6 months (which I am) that I should get a scooter. He says it completely changed his perspective on Bangkok, opened it wide up.

It would be nice to get to see the bits of the city not served by the BTS or MRT.

But... which scooter? Best place to buy? Best place for helmet and gloves? How to sort out licence etc. I have done some research and identified a few options but any other tips from vets would be welcomed.

I want to buy second hand - maybe 1-3 years old? Never had scooter before but done CBT in the UK.

My friend got his for 20,000 baht but I think it was 4-5 years old. Still runs fine he says, got a Yamaha Mio.

I like the look of the Yamaha Mio and the Honda Click so far. I want something in the 115 to 150 range, twist and go, ideally a step-through for shopping. The Yamaha Nouvo SX looks cool too although not step-through...

OK guys.... thanks.

Yamaha MIO / Yamaha NOUVO / Yamaha SPARK (4 speed-auto clutch)will be perfect, but go for the 125/135cc models for better acceleration .Liquid cooled,fuel injection cast alloy wheel models, six months old, about 35,000 baht One year old about 32,000 baht Two years old about 25,000 baht.Yamaha has some of the best build quality out there and will serve you well.Good resale values too.Hot as it is - please wear helmet / gloves and thick jeans. Take it easy and keep your whits about you.Learn how the traffic "works", as it looks chaotic but it works very wellGood luck

Not a good idea to use moped in Bangkok if this is your first time for riding instead of driving.

BUT if you decide to go that route try a few if possible out of town.Take a weekend off go to somewhere like Cha Am and try a few can sill be a bit dangerous on main road but out in the country side much more fun and safer.

Also what weight and size are you to give us an idea of suitable bike.

• Like 1

Yamaha MIO / Yamaha NOUVO / Yamaha SPARK (4 speed-auto clutch)will be perfect, but go for the 125/135cc models for better acceleration .Liquid cooled,fuel injection cast alloy wheel models, six months old, about 35,000 baht One year old about 32,000 baht Two years old about 25,000 baht.Yamaha has some of the best build quality out there and will serve you well.Good resale values too.Hot as it is - please wear helmet / gloves and thick jeans. Take it easy and keep your whits about you.Learn how the traffic "works", as it looks chaotic but it works very wellGood luck

Thanks Nigel, that's good to hear.

Helmet - yes. I think I will get the Real Helmet "Ozzy" - it's well made, safe, and cheap and looks nice! But not full-face. I've also heard it can slip off with force which is a little alarming. Have to look into that. Also the visor only protects the eyes - what could I wear to stop bugs flying in my mouth and dirt/gravel chips? A bandana maybe? Some face mask? Any ideas?

Gloves - yes. Can you recommend any good ones for Thailand. Something short that ends at the wrist (or just beyond) Light but tough. Maybe a little bit fashionable too? :)

Jeans - aw..... do I have too? ;)

Any tips on where to buy? Sumet keep coming up but I think they are Honda only?

The guy's name I was given is called Steve, a Welshman who is apparently very helpful. My friend said 5 of his friends got their scooter from him, and all no problem. He checks they are road-worthy, puts in oil, disc brakes etc. Has no website, just a number.

Thanks!

Not a good idea to use moped in Bangkok if this is your first time for riding instead of driving.

BUT if you decide to go that route try a few if possible out of town.Take a weekend off go to somewhere like Cha Am and try a few can sill be a bit dangerous on main road but out in the country side much more fun and safer.

Also what weight and size are you to give us an idea of suitable bike.

Thanks Peter, I'll think about that.

I've cycled for 8 years in London (left-hand side) and I think that will help me to some extent. I've learned how to position myself aggresively/deffensively and never blame a driver for any mishap on the road. The rules of the road are NOT followed by everyone (especially here) so it's up to me to keep myself alert and safe.

The speed will be the main difference and the total chaos of Bangkok roads. I think it should be OK...

As for size and weight:

5' 10" (178cm)

10.5 stone / 147lbs / 67 KG.

Thanks...

A motorbike or scooter really does open up parts of bkk and outside that would otherwise not be available to you,

I use a honda wave (manual clutch) for inner bkk ) i feel i have more control and the fuel it uses is is somewhere near half the amount of a twist and go, for longer rides i use a cbr 250,

Please dont be one of the suckers who hands money over to bib for made up traffic violations...it makes life harder for the rest of us.

A motorbike or scooter really does open up parts of bkk and outside that would otherwise not be available to you,

I use a honda wave (manual clutch) for inner bkk ) i feel i have more control and the fuel it uses is is somewhere near half the amount of a twist and go, for longer rides i use a cbr 250,

Please dont be one of the suckers who hands money over to bib for made up traffic violations...it makes life harder for the rest of us.

How do you find using a clutch bike in BKK traffic? I was advised against it but I'm actually quite keen to learn to use a clutch bike. And I like the look of the small bikes a lot too (Kawasaki KSR for example)

They any good, these mini bikes?

And please, any tips on how to handle the cops, I'm all ears. I won't be drink riding and I will be wearing a helmet.

Thanks.

How do you find using a clutch bike in BKK traffic? I was advised against it but I'm actually quite keen to learn to use a clutch bike. And I like the look of the small bikes a lot too (Kawasaki KSR for example)

And please, any tips on how to handle the cops, I'm all ears. I won't be drink riding and I will be wearing a helmet.

Thanks.

Sure no clutch is just easy but in reality lots more fuel ...at the lights just let a few go before incase of any red light runners then you will pass the ones who went before anyway,

As for the bib just carry a print out of the thai traffic law and be angry and adamant, Dont hand over your licence unless you have their id first,

Dont be fooled by this motocyc in the left lane scam...in 10 years i never handed over money and never had a ticket for it, after 10 minutes of me they keep repeating excuse me i,m sorry and often plead with me to just go.

Your friend is stupid to advise how to die...

But maybe the idea of a lifetime wheelchair is worth the fun ? Up to you...

Are you the guy that lives down the street, wraps his body in cotton balls before he leaves the house, and makes sure that he does not step on a crack?

No, but I have a brain.

Thanks.

Sure no clutch is just easy but in reality lots more fuel ...at the lights just let a few go before incase of any red light runners then you will pass the ones who went before anyway,

As for the bib just carry a print out of the thai traffic law and be angry and adamant, Dont hand over your licence unless you have their id first,

Dont be fooled by this motocyc in the left lane scam...in 10 years i never handed over money and never had a ticket for it, after 10 minutes of me they keep repeating excuse me i,m sorry and often plead with me to just go.

Mini bike i never tried and dont have much interest, i really do use bikes as a mode of transport although i have a car also, As an angler my car is almost only used for transporting fishing equipment and infact i cover many more km per year by motorcyc,

i garrantie that after some days if a non drinker public transport will be something you just forget, dont get me wrong...i am a drinker but only at home,

Are you the guy that lives down the street, wraps his body in cotton balls before he leaves the house, and makes sure that he does not step on a crack?

No, but I have a brain.

And i suspect no sense of adventure

• Like 1

I know this is a bit premature but can a scooter be painted? Obviously not essential but it might be nice to get a scooter painted so it's not in those god-awful factory colours they all come in.

If so, how much to do, where and how does it affect resale value later on?

Thanks.

PS - I'd like to hear anyones opinions on clutch vs. twist and go in Bangkok.... I think not having to do maintanance is a major reason for twist and go.

I know this is a bit premature but can a scooter be painted? Obviously not essential but it might be nice to get a scooter painted so it's not in those god-awful factory colours they all come in.

If so, how much to do, where and how does it affect resale value later on?

Thanks.

PS - I'd like to hear anyones opinions on clutch vs. twist and go in Bangkok.... I think not having to do maintanance is a major reason for twist and go.

Before you hit the road I would confirm your insurance covers accidents while on a motor bike (many exclude)... Also familiarize yourself with one of the more annoying hazards by doing a search on this forum for BIBs & Retirement Program...

• Like 1

Motocross "rip-proof fabric" gloves are best bet , as leather can be hot. Some open face helmets have deep visors to prevent you eating too many bugs ---- however this is Thailand , and bugs are a high source of protein - LOL. Those "flip up" police helmets are safer than open face or try a motocross style with goggles. Fuel is cheap here , and although a twist n go may use more fuel,it may be easier in traffic. The Yamaha SPARK has a 4 speed gearbox but auto clutch (and the engine is in the center of the bike) but its not a true step-through. Has 17 inch wheels rather than the more normal 14 inch so handles like a bigger bike.The Kawasaki KSR may be too much of a "fun bike" as you do sit low and not realy suitable for two .Every-one has different requirements but this is - i consider - the perfect town bike that can still do the longer journeys in comfort.Yamaha has offered some of the best quality bikes for 5 or 6 years now and selling would be no problem but a bike with a manual clutch may be more difficult. Dont get it painted ! This will de-value it. Accident insurance - get the best - (Thai Visa advertises some).Good luck

Sorry - after re-reading my post i may have caused some confusion (confuse my-self often).The bike i consider perfect is the Yamaha SPARK not the KSR ,although a very well built bike is not suitable for big trips.Hope this helps.

#1 cause of death in Thailand is motorbike accidents. Yes, you can buy and drive one (generally need to show residency to buy/register it, or put it in someone else's name). The Thai DL takes about 2 days to get and the tests are complete BS, but doesnt cost much. Where a helmet and long pants (unless you like skin grafts) and drive as if there is a bounty on you and every Thai is trying to collect it. Driving motorbike at home for 22 years just barely qualified mt yo ride in BKK. Good luck.

• Like 1

No, but I have a brain.

I got a car and a scooter and a small bike. I am still alive and so are the majority of people riding a bike. Its not that dangerous if you use your brain. I prefer the bike over the car especially in traffic. Only time the car comes out on top is when i go shopping or on a trip with multiple people.

Bikes give you freedom and save you a lot of money.

• Like 1

Thanks - yeah, much as I like the clutch bikes, they cost a lot more and I think re-selling would be difficult.

I watched a video of a guy comparing step-through with underbone and he said the underbone felt much more sturdy and safe but the step-through was great for shopping etc.

I think I'll go for an underbone and use a backpack for shopping.

Best place to find a good used Yamaha?

No, but I have a brain.

Hospital adventure ? No thank you, I let it for you, my Benz gives me enough excitement :-)

No, but I have a brain.

Hospital adventure ? No thank you, I let it for you, my Benz gives me enough excitement :-)

No, but I have a brain.

Maybe?

Edited by vtjforyou

#1 cause of death in Thailand is motorbike accidents. Yes, you can buy and drive one (generally need to show residency to buy/register it, or put it in someone else's name). The Thai DL takes about 2 days to get and the tests are complete BS, but doesnt cost much. Where a helmet and long pants (unless you like skin grafts) and drive as if there is a bounty on you and every Thai is trying to collect it. Driving motorbike at home for 22 years just barely qualified mt yo ride in BKK. Good luck.

Exactly ! The fun and convenience is not worth the risk !