Could Chiang Mai be top Asian city for investors?

CMfoodie

And how many of the money class from Bangkok, Singapore, Hong Kong and China did you research to check your hypothesis?

What on earth makes you think the rich from Singapore, HK and China will consider some rurual Thai non coastal town as a second residence? Are you some kind of property salesmen hoping to cash in?

Baerboxer:

It is amazing how very small some minds are in this town. There have been a number of articles in the press (though i doubt you read much) about the some of the major high end condo building taking place towards

Hang Dong is financed by Singapore money for Singapore residents. You must stay under a rock most of the day if you haven't noticed the influx of the Bangkok hi-so crowd. The real estate market in Hong Kong is absurdly overpriced with the mainland money buying up everything available. The rich Chinese don't want to live in China (too primitive for billionaires) and if only one in a hundred decide on CM for a second residence consider the effect. The rich don't want beaches overrun with tourists, hookers and the Russian mafia but want what they "think" is a nice size city, with full facilities, in a rural (read natural) setting. Please let me never run into you here as I already have met my quota of simple fools.

Well you could very well be rite on the super rich not wanting a beach with some of the things you have itemized here.

But I don't think they want some thing with as little to offer as Chiang Mai. I think they would like a lot of high end restaurants as well as some theater and other attractions you only find in the big city. As for the Chinese there are lots of places in China that they can move to with out the downsides you mention that are found in Pattaya and Phuket. Yes the people in Singapore do not have that wide of a choice so Chiang Mai may look more inviting for them.

Also Hua Hin is an alternative to them that I think would be far more attractive to them.

There is lots of different opinions out there. But there are facts that are being over looked. One of the sure fire things sold out in a day so they said. Now here we are several months later and construction hasn't even begun and as it turns out half the units are still available and some of those are from some one who wants out. I have heard of several like this.

Just my opinion

Population of Thailand is constantly growing. The number has been doubled in last 40 years from 35mln to 70mln. If it will double in next 40 years, this will give you increase of almost 2 mln people each year. This trend seems to be uninterrupted.

Thailand is a young society. You go out and you see youg people everywhere around. They will make families soon.

Thailand is family friendly country. Cheap living costs and flexible work arrangement will not prevent Thai woman to have babies, opposite to westerner countries.

Another factor, Chiang Mai becomes more popular by Chinese and BKK home buyers and investors. New shopping centres and improving infrastructure will encourage them to come here.

Thailand is already popular tourist destination from Australia, Asia, and little bit of USA. But not Europeans yet. Direct flights from Europe to Chiang Mai are still to come. They will appreciate hot weather and cheap costs. It will take over some Italian, Spanish and Greece destinations.

And thing that is even bigger than you realize - more and more man are falling in love with Thai woman, decide to settle down here.

In Europe Thailand is still seen as a exotic and not very safe country. But this also is changing.

From wikipedia : The Tourism Authority of Thailand's Chiang Mai office expects the number of tourists from China to increase by at least 20 per cent this year from 2012, driven by the success of the Chinese film "Lost in Thailand". More than 80 per cent of the film was shot in the northern province.

For the contrast - European population is decreasing and is getting older. Number of students in universities is constantly decreasing. Property prices are going down.

In my opinion, Chiang Mai property prices, as long as increases its population, will go up. City is improving and growing.

In my opinion, Chiang Mai property prices, as long as increases its population, will go up. City is improving and growing.

Keep dreaming,

CM is full of condos that will never sell and houses that will be vacant until they fall down.

The Chinese won't be buying any of them, they have plenty of empty cities of their own.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

What on earth makes you think the rich from Singapore, HK and China will consider some rurual Thai non coastal town as a second residence? Are you some kind of property salesmen hoping to cash in?

This wasn't directed at me but it is a typically offensive [and ignorant] response from this contributor.

There isn't room to swing a cat in Hong Kong or Singapore and with the prices here compared to Hong Kong, Singapore and the Chinese coastline, investing in a condo here makes sense for rich Asians.

"One week in Chiang Mai is plenty of time for anyone, then leave. Inland smoke-filled place terrible for your chest. Need to be beside the seaside."

Not to worry, there are many places in the world now where the sea will soon come to you!

This wasn't directed at me but it is a typically offensive [and ignorant] response from this contributor.

There isn't room to swing a cat in Hong Kong or Singapore and with the prices here compared to Hong Kong, Singapore and the Chinese coastline, investing in a condo here makes sense for rich Asians.

Thai coastal towns are hot , and there's no place nicer than the North during the cold season.

Im sure there are Chinese that would like to escape cold snowy winters for a much more pleasant environment with great green mountain views and low cost living, plus its easy for them to blend in with the locals since they look very similar.

I'll take CNX over Pattaya any day.