ESOL English test for spouse visa while visiting the UK

Apologies if this looks like another post where someone hasn't looked at the available information first - I have, and like everyone else I'm confused by the complexity of the information on the UKBA website, and even the UK Settlement Visa Basics only touches on what I want to ask.

On the second application my GF's general visitor visa was granted and she came to the UK in June. We go back to Thailand together early October when we will marry over there, then I'll return to the UK while she gets her documents changed to her married name and then applies for the spouse visa. Part of that visa I believe requires her to pass an English test, and from what I read if she does it in Thailand she has to take a full listening/speaking/reading/writing test and pay accordingly. So I want her to do it while she's in the UK as I also read that this is possible.

I understand ESOL means English for Speakers of Other Languages. I understand from many sources that she just needs listening/speaking at level A1 (basic) for her spouse visa. And I understand from the UKBA website that KET (Key English Test) is a suitable exam. I don't, however, understand many references to KET with citizenship materials - is this necessary for a spouse visa or is this something relevant only to the later FLR and ILR? I'd hate to get her to take an exam only to find it wasn't acceptable.

I also understand on a tourist visa she can't study so she'll just have to do the exam and see how things go, but again more confusion. I found a college in Leicester on the list but when I emailed them and explained what we want (English test suitable for spouse visa application), she said they don't do it any more.

So to summarize, exactly what test does she need to take, and has anyone done it in the UK this year and if so where did you take it? Please tell me anything about the test that you think will help us (what she needs to take with her, how long the test takes, does she get a certificate or letter to use in the application etc). I'd like to take her to visit different places around the UK while she's here, so it would be easy to go somewhere for a couple of days and squeeze in a test while we're there.

Garry (and Dear)

The ESOL with citizenship course is for Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK; or is until 27th October as from 28th October it is no longer valid for an ILR application. This is probably why the college you contacted said they don't do this course anymore.

What she needs for her initial visa is an A1 pass, or better, in English speaking and listening. She can take the exam for this while in the UK as a visitor, but as you rightly say she cannot study for it.

This is the list of approved providers. If you contact a couple of them they should be able to tell you where she can take their test. She will get a pass certificate which she must include in her settlement application.

The standard, A1, is very simple; if she can hold a conversation with you she will have no problem passing it. See Common reference levels for more detail.

On a side note, she cannot take her TB test in the UK; this must be done at the IoM in Bangkok.