How to obtain a thai birth certificate/citizenship for 50% thai child in thailand

CNX1984

Father: US citizen

Mother: Thai citizen

Son: aged 5, born in US with US citizenship and passport.

All of the above now living in Thailand. Although 1 year ago parents got divorced, father got parental control of son, but are still living in Thailand.

Father is on good terms with mother/still talks with her.

How can the father get a Thai birth certificate/citizenship for his son?

The father is under the impression he must go to a Thai embassy in the US to do this. He wants to do it here in Thailand.

I got my lawyer to get my daughters Thai birth certificate from London, even though we had moved back to Thailand some 5 years before asking for it.

I didn't appreciate at the time you had to apply at the embassy and we were only there a few months.

So I am not sure you have to physically be there to do it..

It may have changed since.

The child is 100% Thai and 100% American.

The Thai birth certificate must be applied for at the Thai embassy/ general consulate for the area the child was born. But you can apply through the Thai Foreign Ministry, Consular department. They will process the application for the Thai birth certificate and certify everything. Next they send it to the US for processing by the embassy and they will issue the Thai birth certificate, which is then send to you.

www.consular.go.th is their website, mostly in Thai. You probably need to talk to the Thai nationality section. The Consular department is reported to be very helpful.

The child is 100% Thai and 100% American.

The Thai birth certificate must be applied for at the Thai embassy/ general consulate for the area the child was born. But you can apply through the Thai Foreign Ministry, Consular department. They will process the application for the Thai birth certificate and certify everything. Next they send it to the US for processing by the embassy and they will issue the Thai birth certificate, which is then send to you.

www.consular.go.th is their website, mostly in Thai. You probably need to talk to the Thai nationality section. The Consular department is reported to be very helpful.

Thanks for your reply Mario2008, much obliged. I will report back with what happens.